PDA

View Full Version : McGwire Jersey on American Memorabilia

whatupyos
02-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I have a question about this McGwire jersey...it seems like its as good as can be but the only concern is that I believe McGwire also had flag tags for extra length on sleeves and to the jersey itself and this 1999 one doesnt have those tags. Does anyone know why, did he stop adjusting them at a certain point? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=26731&auccat=Baseball%20Game-Used&offset=10

Aaron
SunDevil2126628@aol.com

hblakewolf
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Aaron-
I currently own 3 McGwire Cards jerseys, and have sold 6 Cards jerseys in the last 5 years. Here is a breakdown on the tagging:

1997-Extra length tagging
1998-no extra tagging, just year tag and size
1999-Extra length and sleeve tagging (all info on the same tag)
2000-No idea
2001-Same as 1999, extra length and sleeve tagging

I will be more than happy to send you a photo of the tagging on the 3 shirts I have in my collection, home and road 1998 and 2001 road.

Based on my previous experience and McGwire gamers I have owned, I would not be comfortable with the jersey in question.

Then again, it does come with a Lampson letter!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Leland's sold a 99' McGwire jersey with the same exact tagging:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1043&auctionid=305

whatupyos
02-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Howard,
You responded to my post on GameUsedForum and I just wanted to talk to you more about the jersey. I'm a huge McGwire fan and know what to look for in his jersey's however, I'd love to get more feedback from you because I know you probably know more than I do. I'm actually looking to buy a Mac Jersey, preferably an A's one. I've seen some sold at auctions that were sketchy, like one on American Memorabilia that was passed as a game used, had the right tagging but the thing was it had a 125th aniversary patch but the lettering on the back for his name was wrong, it was all in green letters and that year they had the double green and gold letters plus it had the elephnat standing on the ball and that year with the 125th patch the A's wore the elephant with the bats crossed in the trunk one. Funny that it had a Lou Lampson letter too, how could he miss that big flaw? But yeah anyway, why would the jersey at American Memorabilia have a PSA/DNA letter and a lampson one if like you said in 1999 he had the extra flag tags on his jersey? It doenst make sence. I gather from other forum members that they are not a reputable company. But are you familiar with McGwire size tags from the Oakland years i.e. size for the different years and when he used the extra sleeve and length tags? I used to be confident but I've learned that I was wrong on some of the sizes over the years. If you could send pictures too of your MAC jerseys I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot for your help.

Sincerely,
Aaron D.
SunDevil2126628@aol.com