PDA

View Full Version : Washing Jersey (Dog Issues)

jayt1234
03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Hello,

Just bought what was for me the best game used item I could possibly get from a fellow forum member (Drew Bledsoe Cowboys jersey). It was delivered on Friday and I opened it and just dropped it on the bed and went to answer the phone. Our 1 year old English Sheepdog Kayla came booming into the room having just been outside and you guessed it jumped right on the jersey. It was raining here and with her fur it gets really matted and collects mud and water like a sponge. I was not angry, but she did put a lot of dirt and mud all over,(luckily no tears) and I instantly against my better judgement hand washed in the sink using Woolite.

So for any of you who have been posting about washing your game jersey's, I would use caution as It is just something that I did not want to have to do. If you feel the need to wash a particularly bad smelling jersey, I would use seriously reconsider doing so. There are specific instructions on the wash tag which I did not see, but it just seemd to change the feel of the jersey. It may have just been in my head, but there seemed to be more wrinkles in the numbers and the neck seemed to be stretched out and wrinkled more as well. Not a big deal I guess since I do not plan to ever sell this jersey, but hated to have to do this and will just have to be a bit more careful in the future I guess.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/jayt1234abcd/kayla2-1.jpg

Jay

Jags Fan Dan
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Man's best friend, huh???:D
Well, seriously, I can relate. I have two labs and I know the destructive side of dogs! Luckily it has never been on my game used items, but some of my cards got chewed up a couple of years back, not cool!!! In retrospect, what do you think you should have done to clean the jersey? Or are you suggesting you feel you should have just left it dirty?

BULBUS
03-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I had just sold an autographed baseball on Ebay, got the ball out ready to ship. I left it on the computer desk and my dog thought it was a new ball for her. She chewed it up pretty good. Luckily the buyer accepted another ball as compensation. I also gave him the chewed up ball to show that I wasnt making it up. I'll never leave anything lying around again. :eek:

jayt1234
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Well,

In this case I had no choice, but in the other thread people were mentioning washing there's for various reasons other than accidents or stains outside of game used, and I just thought I would never tamper with the jersey as is. I made a big mistake as I hung it to dry on a hanger and probally put it away too soon. The sleeves and shoulders are extra wide so when I shut the door it kind of foled up on itself. I actually was worried about laying it out since she probally would have walked all over it again as doors are never shut in my house regardless of how much we ask the kids. Oh well as I said can't blame the dog as she was just excited to see me after work.

Jay

Neely8
03-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't think washing them is all that big of a deal. I mean afterall they are washed by the team during the course of their use. I have washed gamers before using mild detergent, the gentle cycle, and hung them up to dry and I have not seen any adverse effects on them.

commando
03-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I literally had no choice but to wash some of my smelly 25 year-old jerseys. Thankfully, the jersey materials and numbers/letters were still in the same healthy shape as 25 years ago (they just smelled reeeeaaaallll bad...) I felt it was safe to wash them in cold water and just hang them to dry, and things worked out fine.

I do have other jerseys where I consider the screened numbers to be sensitive because of heavy wear, and will not wash them.