PDA

View Full Version : Bat contracts

DGRROSEN
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I know that when a player "has a contract" his bats have his signature on them rather than his name in block letters. What are the typical provisions in a bat contract? Can a player have contracts with multiple bat companies at the same time?

BMH
03-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm not 100% sure of all the stuff involved in our contracts but I'll tell you what I know. Usually if a player signs with us they'll get some money. I think it's around $1500 or so for the first three years of the contract. More or less depending on the player. There are usually stipulations in the contract about awarding more money or "gifts" for batting titles, all star game, play off's and WS appearances.

Player's aren't allowed to have multiple contracts. They do however use other bats even if they are under contract. Technically, they're not supposed to but you can't really stop them and you don't want them running your name through the mud in the clubhouse either.

DGRROSEN
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you BMH for the info. I have 2 bats for one player from the 1992/1993 era and both are signature models. One of the bats is an LVS and one is a Cooper. I find this interesting since you stated that a player can only have one contract at a time.

bigtruck260
03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I have never seen a Pujols signature model LS - I would imagine something like that would command a real premium.

Was wondering if there are any big stars or HOF players that used plenty of LS bats, but never had a signature model - or had an extremely limited supply of them>?

Regards,

Dave

Birdbats
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I have 2 bats for one player from the 1992/1993 era and both are signature models. One of the bats is an LVS and one is a Cooper.

Could you please post a barrel photo of the signature model Cooper bat? I've never seen a contract-model Cooper. All I've seen are Coopers with the same italicized font. I'm trying to collect photos of non-LS signature-model bats. Other than H&B and older Rawlings/Adirondack bats, signature models are fairly rare. Thanks.

David
03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I had a whole bunch of glove and shoe contracts from the 1920s-60s, and even in the 1920s-30s the signer was required to stick with the brand. As a collector, one of the best thing about the contracts, is the company often had the player sign the back so they could make the faux signature on the glove. This meant a contract was often autograph up to ten times.

For a common player in the 1920s and 30s, payment typically was a nominal fee along with a good playing glove or two, and/or shoes. Presumably, if the glove or shoes wore out, they could get a replacement. The company representative often wrote notes about the glove or shoes on the contract-- size, style, etc.

DGRROSEN
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Jeff, I only own 1 Cooper bat and I have never seen any others. What I thought was a signature model bat appears to be the player's name in script letters. I just mistook the script letters for a signature model since I was a new collector when I bought the bat. Sorry about the confusion.