PDA

View Full Version : Actual Q&A with Lou Lampson

skipcareyisfat
03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyone up for a trip to Rosemont, Ill. on Friday, April 18th? Looks like we can fire a questions over to Lou via email too.

http://gavelchat.sportscollectorsdigest.com/

http://www.pcce2008.com/paneldiscussions.htm

Also, I'll pay $10 to anyone who gets me an official league ball signed on the sweetspot by Lou in No. 2 pencil.

mvandor
03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Wondering why Dave Bushing would agree to sit anywhere NEAR Sweet Lou, or be seen near him, at an event. Almost lends legitimacy to the guy.:confused:

camarokids
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I have finally figured out whom he reminds me of .

Remember Slammin' Sammy Malone on Cheers ?????

What do you think ?????

I do apologize to any Cheers fans out there if you're offended......

Eric
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Is anyone going to this event? Seems pretty good.

gingi79
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Looking at that photo I am reminded of Terri Schiavo......Not to be mean but he does look like a comatose vegetable. That would however explain his authentication of obvious fakes.....

And another thing, having access to "over 8,000 jersey related photos" doesn't impress anyone. We all have it. It's called Getty Images. This isn't 1994 anymore. The internet offers anyone with a computer free access to millions of photos. His credentials are now more obsolete than he is. Wow.

I hope someone goes and videotapes his responses to any one of the thousands of obvious mistakes this board alone has caught him on. 3 Elway's from the same game, authenticated by the same person at different times and all 3 wrongly when the real one is in the HOF for example. How do you have all these photos and not a clue what you've signed off on already?

Finally, I can't believe he really exists. 25-1 odds he gets wind of what he will hear at the show and never shows up.....

DRILLINDK
03-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyone up for a trip to Rosemont, Ill. on Friday, April 18th? Looks like we can fire a questions over to Lou via email too.

Also, I'll pay $10 to anyone who gets me an official league ball signed on the sweetspot by Lou in No. 2 pencil.

I might be interested. Skip, where ya heading from?

hblakewolf
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM

According to the posted link, you can submit questions directly to Chirs, who it appears will direct them to Lampson. If indeed this is the case, then those on this site should forward specific instances/examples of the countless blunders Lampson has made, site the item with clear information, and allow Lampson to address our concerns. I have my doubts that any tough questions or questions about his blunders will be asked, however, I submitted the following:

This is for Lou Lampson:
When uniform collectors discuss authenticating, your name surfaces on a regular basis and your continued blunders are often the topic of discussion. One of the most outlandish LOA's you've written is for a "Cal Ripken green Orioles St. Patricks jersey". According to your LOA, the jersey shows use, is correctly tagged and noted as authentic. Likewise, you note in the LOA that you saw several of these green St. Pat's jerseys in the O's storage facility. After extensive research, the following has been noted:
1. The O's themselves have stated they never wore this style of green jersey on St. Patty's day
2. There is not a single shred of evidence to indicate Ripekn or any O's player ever wore these (no photos, no newspaper story, etc.).
3. How could you have seen a "rack" of these when the O's themselves have indicated they never ordered or wore them?
4. the O's further noted they have never worn green jerseys in any variety for St. Patty's day?
In conclusion, how can you provide a LOA on a jersey that not a single employee of the O's or a collector can locate a shred of evidence that it was ever worn? What evidence did you use to conclude not only that the O's wore these, but this is a team issued, game worn Cal Ripken jersey?
Based on the complete lack of any evidence, are you prepared to provide a refund of over $4,000 to owner Dan Derlith in Rochester N.Y. for his original purchase price?
Howard Wolf

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kneerat
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Howard,
Not sure where you got the idea that I would take questions for the panel members... I will be going to the event, but if you want to ask any of the speakers a question, there is a link on their website that anyone can submit their question.

Here is the link from their site: http://www.pcce2008.com/questions.htm

Should be a fun event and I am pumped to be able to attend.

mvandor
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
According to the posted link, you can submit questions directly to Chirs, who it appears will direct them to Lampson. If indeed this is the case, then those on this site should forward specific instances/examples of the countless blunders Lampson has made, site the item with clear information, and allow Lampson to address our concerns. I have my doubts that any tough questions or questions about his blunders will be asked, however, I submitted the following:

This is for Lou Lampson:
When uniform collectors discuss authenticating, your name surfaces on a regular basis and your continued blunders are often the topic of discussion. One of the most outlandish LOA's you've written is for a "Cal Ripken green Orioles St. Patricks jersey". According to your LOA, the jersey shows use, is correctly tagged and noted as authentic. Likewise, you note in the LOA that you saw several of these green St. Pat's jerseys in the O's storage facility. After extensive research, the following has been noted:
1. The O's themselves have stated they never wore this style of green jersey on St. Patty's day
2. There is not a single shred of evidence to indicate Ripekn or any O's player ever wore these (no photos, no newspaper story, etc.).
3. How could you have seen a "rack" of these when the O's themselves have indicated they never ordered or wore them?
4. the O's further noted they have never worn green jerseys in any variety for St. Patty's day?
In conclusion, how can you provide a LOA on a jersey that not a single employee of the O's or a collector can locate a shred of evidence that it was ever worn? What evidence did you use to conclude not only that the O's wore these, but this is a team issued, game worn Cal Ripken jersey?
Based on the complete lack of any evidence, are you prepared to provide a refund of over $4,000 to owner Dan Derlith in Rochester N.Y. for his original purchase price?
Howard Wolf

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Of course second line of questioning that comes to mind has already been mentioned re: the Elway throwback jersey, worn in ONE game only, and that is in fact in the HOF in Canton - which has nevertheless been authenticated I believe three separate times by Lou.

I have a HARD time believing the mods will actually ask these questions IF he shows. But, if they won't open it to the floor, they SHOULD, or it's all a whitewash.

otismalibu
03-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I sent this one in.

Mr. Lampson,

Below are photos of a Sixers jersey that Broadway Rick's Strike Zone sold. Also a copy of your letter.

Let's break it down, shall we?

1st & 2nd paragraphs - To be exact, 1986-87 was the first year the Sixers wore Sand-Knit and Erving's last year. This would have to be a 1986-87 Sixers road jersey. I guess mid 80s is close enough.

3rd & 4th paragraphs - Close enough, but my measurements say the Sand-Knit lettering was very close to 4 inches tall. Suffice it to say, that the Sand-Knit SIXERS lettering is larger than the old Wilson SIXERS lettering. Agreed.

5th & 6th & 7th paragraphs - This Sand-Knit jersey, has the numbers and letter style that was used on the Wilson jerseys of the past. The number 6 on the Sand-Knit Erving jersey changed slightly and they no longer used vertical arch lettering, but rather standard block, sewn on with a slight arch. This jersey has the wrong numbers and the wrong lettering for the NOB, based on my photo archive research.

8th paragraph - This paragraph states that a size 44 would be "consistent with Erving's late career physique and within proper parameters for the again 'Doctah' in his final campaign." I'm unaware of any late career physique changes, with regard to Erving. In fact, the Basketball HOF has a final season Erving Sand-Knit 86-87 road red Sixers jersey - size 40. I've also been told that the Sand-Knit tag (gold crown) on this jersey was not on 86-87 jerseys, but added after the Doctor had already hung 'em up.

Could you share with me the research you did and what evidence you found to support the claim that a jersey that was possibly issued after Erving retired, is two sizes larger than the one in the HOF from the same season and has the wrong numbers and letters, was actually worn by Dr. J.?

Thanks,
Greg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_lampson1.jpg (http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/lampson1.jpg) http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_Irving76ersJersey2.jpg (http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Irving76ersJersey2.jpg) http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_Irving76ersJersey1.jpg (http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Irving76ersJersey1.jpg)

skipcareyisfat
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I might be interested. Skip, where ya heading from?

Rick, much as I'd love to go, I live in Atlanta so it won't be happening unfortunately.

Best case scenario would be if a bunch of GUUers went in person, with video recorder in hand, and asked Lou every one of these questions. I'd be shocked if any of our email questions made it to him.

kingjammy24
03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
lampson made it out to the last national and, from most reports, noone confronted him with anything.

i initially wondered who would seriously put lampson on an expert panel on a conference that's meant to help the hobby. then i remembered that it's a dougie allen show, produced by dougie allen, starring dougie allen. lou made all the right friends.

anyway, here's my favorite lampson blunder. while i doubt any of these questions will make it to doug allen's posterboy while doug's running the show, it'd be nice if someone could try to bring it up:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12517

2 1998 home tampa bay boggs "gamers". one has numbers and the other doesn't. lou deems them both good. ?!

my guess is that even if someone manages to bring these issues up, lou will play the "everyone makes mistakes" card. the issue isn't mistakes per se. it's the egregious number of them and how every one of them is completely bone-headed. it'd be interesting to ask lou, being the one-man crew that he is, how much time he spends on average per item in an auction. if lou "doesn't have that figure handy", then simply knowing how much time he spends looking at items at a typical VA or Mastro auction would be great.

rudy.

Nathan
03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
lampson made it out to the last national and, from most reports, noone confronted him with anything.

i initially wondered who would seriously put lampson on an expert panel on a conference that's meant to help the hobby. then i remembered that it's a dougie allen show, produced by dougie allen, starring dougie allen. lou made all the right friends.

anyway, here's my favorite lampson blunder. while i doubt any of these questions will make it to doug allen's posterboy while doug's running the show, it'd be nice if someone could try to bring it up:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12517

2 1998 home tampa bay boggs "gamers". one has numbers and the other doesn't. lou deems them both good. ?!

my guess is that even if someone manages to bring these issues up, lou will play the "everyone makes mistakes" card. the issue isn't mistakes per se. it's the egregious number of them and how every one of them is completely bone-headed. it'd be interesting to ask lou, being the one-man crew that he is, how much time he spends on average per item in an auction. if lou "doesn't have that figure handy", then simply knowing how much time he spends looking at items at a typical VA or Mastro auction would be great.

rudy.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9968

That was from the National last year when I asked him about green Orioles jerseys.

ripkengamers
03-14-2008, 05:04 PM

This is for Lou Lampson:
Howard Wolf

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

If anyone wishes to pool together enough money to cover my airfare, I'll gladly pack up my Green Ripken jersey with Lou's LOA and ask him in person..........anyone is free to bring video camera's and post it on Youtube for all to see!

Sincityson
03-14-2008, 08:44 PM

rudy.

I was there & actually spoke to lampson, didn't even know it was him until after. He seemed to be in a such hurry to finish the conversation. I found it fairly odd.. I took a photo of a few jerseys, and he was in one of them.. I posted it before, but here it is again:

http://www.geocities.com/wastedmarathon/show3.jpg

ripkengamers
03-17-2008, 07:27 AM
If anyone wishes to pool together enough money to cover my airfare, I'll gladly pack up my Green Ripken jersey with Lou's LOA and ask him in person..........anyone is free to bring video camera's and post it on Youtube for all to see!

WHAT..............NO TAKERS?????????

ironmanfan
03-17-2008, 08:23 AM
WHAT..............NO TAKERS?????????

On St. Patrick's Day itself no less!

hblakewolf
03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
On St. Patrick's Day itself no less!

Dan-
Count me in for $50. If, however, the jersey and/or questions about it are not presented to Lampson, you can't expect me to pay.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

momen55
03-17-2008, 01:13 PM
i will be off from school and was planning a trip to visit my family and being that this event is going on, and there aren't any in florida, i may go to it.
i would be nice to see what is there and possibly buy something.

these guys don't want to hear about truths. one day at a show, i met dan knoll and asked him a question regarding an item, and he looked at me like i was stupid! :eek: i questioned his knowledge and he got all bent out of shape and didn't help. some expert!

gameusedhoop
03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Just read that letter on the Erving and found it interesting that there was no mention about the size of the NBA logo. In 86-87 it was slightly larger than following years, and should be noted. Of course if the jersey is not "good" the absence of a notation isn't a surprise. The logo would be the smaller size.

otismalibu
03-19-2008, 09:21 AM
In 86-87 it was slightly larger than following years, and should be noted.

Interesting. How much larger? Do you happen to have any comparison pics.

Thanks.

gameusedhoop
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any detailed pictures or the jerseys themselves left, but during the 90's I have about 50-100 jerseys and jackets at a time and noticed it with every 86-87 jersey. I would say that they are 10-15% larger than the following 3-4 Sand-Knit years. I was never a Lampson type guy, listing the color of thread, detailed measurements, taking hundreds of pics etc.

Maybe someone who has an 86-87 Celtics jersey along with another year's Sand-Knit can put them up with a side by side scan?

In the meantime I will look through the few pics that I do have, but I think that they will be inconclusive as they were taken back in the days with a 35 mm camera, never focusing on the logo, just front, back, and tags.

33bird
03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I have pictures of a couple of 86-87 celtic jerseys. LMK if you need them posted on here.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

gameusedhoop
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Found two pics, scanned them, did the photobucket thing, and now I'll try to get them on here. Let's see how this works out. I have an 86 Sichting and an 87 Paxson. The pics are great, but they do show the obvious size difference. If someone who has the jerseys in hand can do the measuring we'll be all set. BTW, I recognize some of the names here and I know that you guys know me, you just might not know it, Steve Leszczynski.

sylbry
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Somebody ask him about this jersey.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=14880

Not sure how anyone can authenticate a style that was NEVER worn in throughout the team's history.

otismalibu
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
gameusedhoop,

Thanks for posting those. I only really focus on Erving gear, and seeing his last year was 86-87, I've never compared Sand-Knit 76ers jersey from subsequent years, to closely.

I have a couple retail Sand-Knit jerseys and noticed that the NBA logo on one of them was substantially larger than the other. The larger one is 2" x 3/4" while the smaller one is 1.5" x 5/8". I always just assumed it was a goof, but maybe these are the two sizes shown above.

33bird
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's two more 86-87 Celtic gamers-the bird is mine. Steve-I want the Schiting. Want to sell it?
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

gameusedhoop
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Greg, sorry, but I haven't had the Sichting for at least 15 years. My Celtics sources have dried up over the years, I used to be able to get them pretty easily, but since the late 90's my sources are gone. I would guess that the Sichting is in one of 3 collections, either in Alaska, Indiana, or Utah. I sold multiple Celtic knits to certain collectors in those 3 states. As far as I know, many have never left their "new" homes.

both-teams-played-hard
03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I would guess that the Sichting is in one of 3 collections, either in Alaska, Indiana, or Utah.
Many basketball jerseys, once in my collection, live in Alaska with the same collector you mention. Unless there are two collectors from Alaska with incredible hoop collections!

gameusedhoop
03-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Let me guess, just inside the Arctic Circle, on the coast, population of about 3500 people.
Just a note on how small this world is, I am good friends with :D and work with a girl who has a sister who lives in the same Alaska town. BTW, we are in Massachusetts right on the ocean, we couldn't be any further away. Now if we could work Kevin Bacon into this somehow we will really have a story.

lund6771
03-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I couldn't care less how much Lampon claims he knows...he puts his name on trash almost every day...if I put my name on that sh.....t at my job every day, I'd be fired...just because he has 100 jerseys to look at in an hour is no excuse...will somebody please clean up this hobby and fine this loser a ton of cash please!!!!...this needs to be taken seriously and this scumbag is taking advantage of the system!!!!