PDA

View Full Version : display space?

joelsabi
03-09-2008, 09:24 PM
how much space are you allowed in your home for you GU collection?
do you have limits set by your wife? how understanding is you wife with your collection.

my wife and i are in discussion for the amount of space i can have for my collection and was wondering what is reasonable expectations. thought i would ask what the wives tolerate so far.

otismalibu
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I've got one room. Technically, it's our 'office', but I did the decorating.

The Office (http://www.geocities.com/otismalibu/drjroom.html)

I've mentioned that our son's room might look nice with a hoops theme. Don't think that's happening.

scottanservitz
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Ha ha. My wife is constantly bugging me about my collection. I have a bat rack in our bedroom. I have jerseys in both of my boy's bedrooms. I have jerseys in our walk-in attic. I guess it is all over the house! I used to have a den until son #2 came into the picture. We collectors learn to adjust when necessary. All in all though, my wife is cool about my hobby. I hope you guys are as lucky as I am.

Scott

zookerman182
03-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I am getting married in july and live by myself for now but the understanding between us is that i will be having 1 room for my collection to be on display and thats it. I dont really have too much stuff right now but i plan to collect memorabilia for as long as i live so 1 room may not be enough in 10 years.

frikativ54
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Marry ladies that love game-used collecting. That's a solution for you.

bigtruck260
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
I get my office - and that's it. anything else is in the closet, storage or on loan to friends/family members. I am kind of glad I have limited space. I can't imagine trying to grab 500 bats during a fire - or watching them twirl like helicopters when a tornado hits.

MUCH easier to insure than some collections.

I really only use 2 walls. There are about 25 bats, some hats/helmets, etc and a few shadowboxes. Enough to remain comfortable - and easy enough to keep clean. My office is my sanctuary...

Dave

B1SON
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
We had a small 3 bedroom bylevel and I had the lower level livingroom and it drove my wife nuts not to have that room. She never felt comfortable in there. Anyway, we built a house and I got one very large bedroom which can be viewed on the front page of my website.

www.BisonGameDayMemorabilia.com

bigtime59
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a 9 X 11 home office that I've totally gutted and redone over the last 6 months or so. Here's a couple of shots. (There will, however, be no shots of the 7 X 7 "Jersey Jail".)
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

WadeInBmore
03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
My girlfriend tolerates it. She kind of rolls her eyes whenever a new package arrives. I've got two rooms to use for display. Part of the basement has two display cases full of stuff (vintage rookie cards, game used items, and autographs) and then in another room (could be considered the family room) I have set up a display wall of all my Frank Thomas game used items...she calls it my shrine. I argue that there is no incense, candles, or dead flowers...that it is simply a display:D She understands that it is something that makes me happy though. And I rarely hear a peep out of her as long as I keep the house clean and some what neat...and not game used items all over the place. I feel sorry for any of you out there who don't have a sympathetic partner...yikes. I often view collecting as possibly my worst habit:)

skyking26
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a 18x25' room in the basement which is full. Before that it was in closets around the house. Today, this room is really not enough. I would like to expand into the office or even the stairwell, but wife is against that. She says if there is not enough room, that I need to narrow the contents down a bit. She may have a point...

earlywynnfan
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
My wife is wonderfully understanding with my collection. I get the 4th bedroom, your basic 11x11 room. She even helps me rearrange it and refinished the old locker that I use for display.

Ken

kj33706
03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
You guys are going about this all wrong!!!!! I buy a $500 bat for me and buy her a Louis Vuitton purse. I buy a $5000 superbowl trophy and buy her a boob job. I buy a $9000 jersey and buy her a new house. Needless to say she absolutely LOVES my collection. She loves to see new packages arrive. Bottom line is if momma ain't happy aint nobody happy. Plus, most of the time I buy her something I can enjoy as well (if you catch my drift). By the way, I have the entire 2000 ft2 basement.

skyking26
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
You guys are going about this all wrong!!!!! I buy a $500 bat for me and buy her a Louis Vuitton purse. I buy a $5000 superbowl trophy and buy her a boob job. I buy a $9000 jersey and buy her a new house. Needless to say she absolutely LOVES my collection. She loves to see new packages arrive. Bottom line is if momma ain't happy aint nobody happy. Plus, most of the time I buy her something I can enjoy as well (if you catch my drift). By the way, I have the entire 2000 ft2 basement.
Based on the above comments, we just found out why you have the Dunn glove!!! You are the man!

mdube16
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I have my 11 x 13 office but I just asked for (and got) our family room too! I'll be getting to work on it over the next few weeks.

kylehess10
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
how much space are you allowed in your home for you GU collection?
do you have limits set by your wife? how understanding is you wife with your collection.

my wife and i are in discussion for the amount of space i can have for my collection and was wondering what is reasonable expectations. thought i would ask what the wives tolerate so far.

I'm 17 so I don't really have a wife :D ...but my parents gave me the basement once my brother moved out so I can have all my stuff reasonably spaced out. Every single wall is covered now with something game used so now I think I need to start searching for my first home :D

AWA85
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Kyle, let me know when you plan on deal that Felipe Lopez helmet!

OaklandAsFan
03-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I have pretty much free reign of where I want to put my stuff. Most of it is in the front "game room" as of now. Stuff that was gotten by me for my kids or that my kids got themselves is hanging up in their rooms.
Now that I have gotten my GF addicted to the game used memorabilia the biggest problem will be who gets center stage. ;)
Right now she doesn't have nearly as much hockey stuff as I do baseball but the way she is going give her time she may catch up real soon.

AWA85
03-10-2008, 11:41 PM
My dorm room is covered with it now. Just got accepted to Grad School, so next year should have an apartment all to myself. Time to build my first locker or two.

frikativ54
03-11-2008, 02:09 AM
My dorm room is covered with it now. Just got accepted to Grad School, so next year should have an apartment all to myself. Time to build my first locker or two.

Your dorm room is plastered with it? What college do you go to? Where are you going to grad school? Congrats!

I would never be able to keep my g/u stuff (I don't have much) in my college apartment. It's all back home in the Seattle-area. The moths are the problem...they get under my screen during the late afternoon and their caterpillars are hell even for my non game-used stuff.

No s/o issues as I am not in a relationship and don't plan on moving in with anyone in the near future. Space is a problem though as I don't know where to keep some of the stuff. I just don't have much room in my bedroom at home in Seattle. I collect so much other stuff besides g/u that the place is overflowing.

Though it's not like I have much game-used stuff anyway. I just have a Bagwell g/u auto'd bat, a Hunter Pence g/u auto'd bat, a Jeff Bagwell g/u ball, Bagwell batting gloves, and a pair of late 1990s Bagwell cleats. I'm not really into commons either. And I'm not really one of those people who has to have a huge collection.

Some people just need to be surrounded by game-used stuff. I'm not one of those people. I have plenty of other things in my room back home that make me happy. Like autographed books from famous people I've met, a copy of a section in a small paper where I was featured, and some political stuff. Eventually, I would like to have some more g/u items, but I couldn't imagine it taking up more than one room.

bigtime59
03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
By the way, I have the entire 2000 ft2 basement.

Which is 400+ ft2 bigger than our entire house!
You...lucky...b@$tard...youwreckedmyday! :D

AWA85
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Your dorm room is plastered with it? What college do you go to? Where are you going to grad school? Congrats!

I go to Quincy University, a small D2 school in Illinois. Just here living out my dream of playing tennis in college. Going to Western Illinois University to get my Masters in Sport Management next year. It is not hard to cover the dorm room I am currently in, a couple of bats along with a jersey or two and there goes most of the space! :rolleyes:

Birdbats
03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
AWA85, if you get a chance, go visit a bar called Instant Replay at 28th and Chestnut in Quincy. Ask for the owner, Jim. He's a great guy and a big Cardinals collector. I assume he has stuff displayed in the bar (I've never made it up there; it's a hike from where I live).

AWA85
03-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Jeff, Instant is a famous bar around here but I think every bar within somewhat of walking distance of our small campus is famous. I will have to ask for him sometime!

kj33706
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I DID NOT WRITE THAT POST ABOUT HAVEING A SUPERBOWL TROPHY AND ECT AND BOOB JOB AND ECT....... i am single and not married and i let a friend use my password to brose on here for ozzie smith things and this he eplied to this, i will defend in his honor that what he said is all true I KJ33706 DID NOT...... very sorry if anyone got the wrong idea

ironmanfan
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I DID NOT WRITE THAT POST ABOUT HAVEING A SUPERBOWL TROPHY AND ECT AND BOOB JOB AND ECT....... i am single and not married and i let a friend use my password to brose on here for ozzie smith things and this he eplied to this, i will defend in his honor that what he said is all true I KJ33706 DID NOT...... very sorry if anyone got the wrong idea

FYI..one doesn't need an account/password just to "brose on here."

bigtruck260
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
FYI..one doesn't need an account/password just to "brose on here."

I assume you meant "post" here...don't let it happen again.:mad: :D

Dave

bigtruck260
03-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I assume you meant "post" here...don't let it happen again.:mad: :D

Dave

Not you, Ironman...the other fella. I know what you meant.

D

kj33706
03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
yes that is what i meant to post my fault..... he posted something under ozzie smith in the wanted section......

rose14
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I do understand about keeping the wife happy as my wife is an interior decorator and she is very picky and normally doesn't like stuff like this but I let her do what she wants with most of the house with the exception of the walkout basement which is all mine. I actually thinks she likes most of my setup like in the bar and pool table area but I don't think she's too crazy about my office area. I haven't received my jersey display cases yet, so I just have them on hangers and she hates that they just hang on the wall that way. My only thing that I do think looks silly is the bat rack in my office. I sold quite a few of my bats a while back and it doesn't look right with just a few bats I'm fortunate enough to have about 2,400 sq ft to work with although I don't use near that much with my memorabilia. I have alot more I want to display but I don't want to over do it.

rose14
03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
One more pic.

AWA85
03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Great set up Rose, was wondering who's hat is the Reds hat in you last picture along with the batting gloves?

rose14
03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks AWA85. The Reds hat and batting gloves are Josh Hamilton's game used items from his rookie year last season. All three items are autographed by Josh.

AWA85
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Are these the items that were just on ebay not long ago? I was watching a few of those items, good pick ups!

rose14
03-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes

ivo610
12-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Im not married yet but the discussion over how I am going to display my collection is as important to me as deciding how many kids she wants to have. The last thing I want to happen is have some stupid fight about this because we didnt talk these things over before we say I do.

ivo610
12-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Its alot easier to find a new girl then part with a collection. :)

mbenga28
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
those who have game used items with accompanying photo matches, could you give me some ideas on how you display them? do you usually place them below, on top, next ot the item? if you can post some of your collection pieces, that would be very helpful too. thanks.