PDA

View Full Version : game issued stargell jersey on eBay

Dewey2007
03-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on this 1980 Stargell game issued jersey and/or the seller? Is it legit? Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380001884024&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Price wise this might be the closest I get to affording any type of Stargell jersey game issued or othewise so any feeback would be appreciated.

On a side note he has a 2002 game issued Emmitt Smith jersey for sale and has sold two of the same jerseys in the past few months. How many game issued jerseys do teams usually make for players? Anyhow, I just thougth that was interesting.

Thanks!

commando
03-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Is it just me, or does the "8" on the front of the jersey seem to be sewn a bit crooked? Not sure what to say about this one.

hblakewolf
03-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on this 1980 Stargell game issued jersey and/or the seller? Is it legit? Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380001884024&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Price wise this might be the closest I get to affording any type of Stargell jersey game issued or othewise so any feeback would be appreciated.

On a side note he has a 2002 game issued Emmitt Smith jersey for sale and has sold two of the same jerseys in the past few months. How many game issued jerseys do teams usually make for players? Anyhow, I just thougth that was interesting.

Thanks!

2 issues with this jersey:

Seller notes it's team issued, however:

1. Names were added to the back starting in 1979. It should have STARGELL in black vertical arch above the 8.

2. Tagging. It should have the uniform number 8 before the year tag. The tail tagging inidcates 80 (1980) however, it shoud read 8 80.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

designedexclusively
03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
That's the same seller as nancy34, overall a custom fake seller. I bought two fake starter steeler 75th turn back the clock shirts off of her and had them returned. Really tricky seller. She had fake starter tags, the whole shebang...

Probally a custom, on a blank old pirates body.

DX

sarahsdad
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I would steer clear of this seller. A couple of weeks ago they were selling a game issued Barry Bonds jersey from I believe 1991 or 1992. It was a size 48 with 3" extra length and a nameplate that stretched from shoulder to shoulder for a short name like Bonds. I emailed the seller to ask how the jersey was obtained, and asked them to explain the size of the jersey, the extra length and the unusually long nameplate which is atypical for Pirates jersys of course with no reply. Anybody seen a picture of Bonds from 1991/1992? He looked anorexic compared to how he looks today. I have a legitimate game used Bonds from 1991 and it is a size 42 with no extra length. And based on other posts it appears this seller specializes in Pittsburgh Steelers/Pirates items.

Dewey2007
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I think I'll pass on this one and keep saving my pennies for another Stargell jersey.

I found this 1980 Stargell that Grey Flannel recently auctioned off. Big difference:

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=16678

otismalibu
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Agree with DX. I see that seller often when searching Steelers jerseys on eBay. Always customizing, whether it be retail jerseys of gamers. Luckily, they do such a sh*tty job, you can usually spot the problems.

ironmanfan
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
At the very best it appears to be a Salesman Sample (I've seen orange Wilson Ripken jersey's from the early 1980's without a NOB).

suave1477
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Ironman I was thinking the same thing.

I do agree with most of you but I have to be honest the first thought that cme to my head when looking at this Jersey was possible salesman sample or possibly a Game Issued that just wasn't completed, may sound crazy but could happen.

Dewey2007
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Just got a reply from the seller of the Stargell game issued jersey in question and they indicated they got the jersey at the Pirates Fanfest this year although there is no team LOA. Seller said the guy who sold it indicated it wasn't used in any games.

Who knows but I'm still staying away from it.

hblakewolf
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Seller noted he obtained it at Fan Fest, just not this year:

"Dear hblakewolf,

The nameplate was removed. Not all jerseys from that year have the uniform number on them. I saw about 30 of them from that year and some had them, some didn't. I purchased it at fan fest a couple of years ago.

- pittsburghsportsgear

What's the chance that the Pirates still have 28 year old superstar jerseys in storage, without the nameplates still attached? Likewise, when know Stargell examples have surfaced from 1980, they have been in size 48 (this is size 44). Last, when have gold 1980 Pirates shirts from starting players (not call ups) only had the year sewn in the tail, as opposed to the uniform number and year?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Dewey2007
03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I guess the seller needs to pick a story and stick to it. This is the reply I got:

Dear chief9382,

I purchased it at the fan fest this year. It doesnt have any LOA. The guy I purchaed it from said it wasn't used in any games.

- pittsburghsportsgear