PDA

View Full Version : Don Mattingly Bat on Hunt Auctions

gameused
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
For the Mattingly collectors, Hunt Auctions has a nice bat up for bid.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=33&lot_num=858&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

BULBUS
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Another 86-89 M110 :eek: Mattingly did not order any M110's during this labeling period. All orders where for promotional use. I woud not touch it.

Can anyone explain the M110 stamped on the knob? I have never heard of this on 86-89 LS bats.

kingjammy24
03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=185

either jim caravello or mike specht once said that they wondered how individuals who don't have access to the LVS records can properly authenticate bats.

i suppose in some cases even having access doesn't guarantee a decent authentication job.

rudy.

bat_master
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Let's keep in mind that the description from the auction doesn't call this bat a "Don Mattingly Game Used Bat" specifically.

"Don Mattingly professional model baseball bat c.1986-89. Louisville Slugger 125 model bat measures 34" long and weighs 310z. The bat shows evident use including several distinct ball marks (Bobby Brown AL president's stamp clearly visible), pine tar residue, and rack marks. Model #M110 is stamped on the barrel end, which has also been signed by Mattingly in blue sharpie. Includes LOA's from Hunt Auctions and JSA (autograph): EX"

I know it sounds a bit simplistic, but all they've described is a 1986-89 Louisville Slugger Don Mattingly professional model bat that shows use. They don't say anywhere in the description that he actually used it.

I'm not saying it was properly authenticated because I haven't seen the LOA. I don't know what it says about the origin of the use.

However, in my opinion if they aren't actually going to say it was used by the player then all they would really have to evaluate with regard to the bat is whether or not it was a professional model.

With that being said I'm aware of the issues with late 1980s M110 Mattingly bats so I wouldn't bid on it either.

I'm of the belief that if a person is going to pay good money for an item you really should be getting exactly what you want. There's no reason to compromise quality or legitimacy to save money.

kingjammy24
03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
tim,

i believe hunt clearly intends to convey that the bat is "game used"; noting that it has ball marks from a bobby brown ball, rack marks, and pine tar. there's no explanation as to how they got there because it's assumed.

check this out:
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=33&lot_num=86&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

nowhere do they specifically call it a "game used jersey". like the mattingly bat, they say the jersey exhibits use. the implication is game use. it rated an A10 and the estimate is $2k-$3k. what sort of estimate is that for a jersey which isn't implied to be a gamer? they've estimated $2k-$3k and yet don't mean to imply it's a gamer?

it's a matter of sloppy semantics. hunt seems to shy away from the specific term "game used" on their items despite the fact that they're obviously implied to be gamers.

rudy.

bat_master
03-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Rudy,

With my previous post I wasn't trying to say that what they are doing is right. I think if you're going to sell something you should have the character to stand behind it and call it exactly what it is.

Leave nothing to be implied or inferred from the listing.