PDA

View Full Version : At What Point Do You Consider a Jersey a Photomatch?

frikativ54
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I have been trying successfully (IMO) to photomatch a couple of jerseys. However, at what point do you consider something a photomatch? Do you have to have multiple jersey shots and angles? A front and back shot? Or is a mere front photomatch enough?

Also, do you know what kind of status you need to download images from ICONSPORTSMEDIA? That's where the photos in question come from.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Frik

kylehess10
03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I have been trying successfully (IMO) to photomatch a couple of jerseys. However, at what point do you consider something a photomatch? Do you have to have multiple jersey shots and angles? A front and back shot? Or is a mere front photomatch enough?

Also, do you know what kind of status you need to download images from ICONSPORTSMEDIA? That's where the photos in question come from.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Frik

If you're trying to pinstripe-photomatch something, it's always better to have BOTH pictures showing front and back. If it's a photomatch showing dirt stains, then just one angle would probably do becuase to me it seems pretty impossible to duplicate dirt stains in the same spot with the same dirt marks.

As for Icon Sports Media pictures, I use the "print screen" button to save the images.

reed1216
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
This is a good question... First off, some jerseys are a lot easier to photomatch than others. Aside from marks that are the result of game wear, which are far more common on football and hockey jerseys, there are also more subtle ways to match something. I was delighted that my 2 Yankee pinstripe jerseys were easily photomatched. The placement of the logo against the pinstripes make it fairly easy to match Yankee home gamers. There are slight differences in the placement of the logo, from shirt to shirt. I have yet to match any of my 3 Yankee road gamers. Without the pinstripes, most photos don't provide enough information.

Obviously, if you know when a piece was worn, it's a whole lot easier to match. On the rear of my Lance Briggs jersey, there is a horizontal line, just to the left of the nameplate. The jersey was worn versus the Giants on November 12, 2006 and after checking photos from the game on Getty, bingo- a photomatch was found in a shot of him tackling Tiki Barber.

The best photomatched jersey I have is a 1995-96 Jeremy Roenick Blackhawks. It is matched to a hockey card. There are 2-3 marks on the shoulder numbers that are indisputable. I actually display the card along with the jersey in a cabinet.

I don't think you have to have several photos of a player wearing a shirt for there to be a match. Particularly with NFL jerseys that aren't washed, you really just need a shot of the player late in the game, so the markings are the same. If I looked at a pregame photo of Briggs from the 11/12/06 game, it would be a lot harder to match because the marks probably occured as the game progressed.

One, far more subtle example of a photomatched jersey in my collection is my 2002 ARod. MeiGray provides conclusive photomatches for many of their jerseys. The person I bought the ARod from had a beautiful, framed 8x10 of ARod wearing my jersey. It is matched to fraying on the front lettering and numbers. I expect that MeiGray matched it from Getty and provided it, along with the jersey, to the original buyer. The photo is crystal clear and the match probably wouldn't have been possible with a normal res pic.

As many other forum members have shown in their posts, a photomatch can be done with one photograph. As long as there are distinguishing markings, with all the photos that are available, matches can be found. I think it's one of the most enjoyable parts of our hobby.

frikativ54
03-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Update: I thought I had a jersey matched, but then I realized that only half of it was a photomatch. The right side of the jersey didn't match, leaving me back at square one.

What are other places to try for photomatches?

reed1216
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
If part of it doesn't match, than it's obviously not a photomatch. I would check getty, yearbook photos and trading cards. I also occasionally look for photos being sold on EBay. A lot of people also have nice shots posted on photobucket. Good luck....