PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Who's Weary of a Bargain?

frikativ54
02-28-2008, 03:21 AM
It seems like a lot of people these days are going after "steals" for game-used items (I have a different opinion on baseball cards, etc) on eBay. However, I would prefer to pay top dollar for an item I am certain is authentic. Anybody else feel like me?

If something is really cheap, I think to myself:

1) This is too good to be true. It probably is. I'd rather buy the same item from a reputable dealer/collector for double the price.

Am I alone out there?

aeneas01
02-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Am I alone out there?

if you and i were the only two folks alive, you would definitely be alone out there. paying double doesn't guarantee authenticity just as getting a steal does not guarantee getting ripped off.

godwulf
02-28-2008, 09:59 AM
A lot depends on what and "who" you collect. If your collecting leans toward signed Ruth baseballs, Mantle gamers, Jeter's fielding gloves, that sort of thing, then, yeah, you'd be right to be suspicious of very low prices.

Most of the bats and jerseys I buy sell for less than $100 - much less, in the case of many of the bats; this stuff would literally cost more to create, as fakes, than the final bid price.

I just picked up (on eBay) a number of bats, among them an Old Hickory with a ton of use and pine tar, an easily repairable handle crack and an autograph, from a top catching prospect whom I saw in the Fall League, from when he played in AA a couple of years ago, for $5. Last week, I bought a beautiful, uncracked Mike Morgan Cardinals bat that appears to have been "borrowed" and used by teammate Mike Sweeney, for 10 bucks. What "reputable dealer/collector" is even going to bother with something like that?

bigtruck260
02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
A lot depends on what and "who" you collect. If your collecting leans toward signed Ruth baseballs, Mantle gamers, Jeter's fielding gloves, that sort of thing, then, yeah, you'd be right to be suspicious of very low prices.

Most of the bats and jerseys I buy sell for less than $100 - much less, in the case of many of the bats; this stuff would literally cost more to create, as fakes, than the final bid price.

I just picked up (on eBay) a number of bats, among them an Old Hickory with a ton of use and pine tar, an easily repairable handle crack and an autograph, from a top catching prospect whom I saw in the Fall League, from when he played in AA a couple of years ago, for $5. Last week, I bought a beautiful, uncracked Mike Morgan Cardinals bat that appears to have been "borrowed" and used by teammate Mike Sweeney, for 10 bucks. What "reputable dealer/collector" is even going to bother with something like that?

AGREED

David
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree that it depends on the item. If someone offers you a $10,000 Babe Ruth signed baseball for $500, it's probably fake. Because if it was genuine, he'd offer it to you for $10,000.

godwulf
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Question for ya...and it sort of relates to the topic of this thread, so I thought I'd use it, rather than start another.

If you saw a guy around town semi-regularly who you knew had been a Major Leaguer for parts of five seasons, and you had occasion to talk to him on business matters a couple of times a month, and - even though he had no connection with any team you follow, and you couldn't really be considered one of his "fans" - he seemed like a decent guy, and he was a Major League ballplayer...and if you had a chance to buy one of his bats for practically nothing, for the sole purpose of getting him to sign it...would you be likely to do something like that? Or is that weird?

bigtruck260
02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I am embarrassed to ask for autographs unless I have a paid ticket in my hand for a session.

But - if I were in your situation, and it's worth the effort...bring it up in casual conversation: "Ever have someone ask you to sign one of your bats"?

Never mind. Any way I think of approaching it makes it sound like the intro to a dirty movie. I must be sick.:(

Don't do it.

Dave

Dewey2007
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I think it would be cool to pick up a bat of the guy just because you know him. Especially if it's not an expensive item. Bring it up in conversation that you picked up a game used bat of his and maybe he'll offer to autograph it w/o having to ask.

I have a jersey of a friend of mine that played in the NFL but I'd never think of asking him to sign it.

DrJ
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Wouldn't bother me. I've went to a local sports auction a couple of times and a couple NFL players were there. One a retired defensive lineman and the other a starting NFL QB. I purchased items at the auction, walked up and said "hey, would you mind signing this?" Never an issue, actually struck up a conversation that way.

Now I did go to a local high-school baseball game a couple years ago and 2 dads were there sitting about 3 feet from me - both ex-MLB players. It crossed my mind to buy something of theirs and come back next time to get it signed, but I decided against it because it was more of a family oriented setting (they were watching their sons play), not a sports auction setting.

And I got Miss Texas USA to sign some photos for me and take a picture, but that was cheating because she's my cousin.

Just my 2 cents.

Vintagedeputy
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I am embarrassed to ask for autographs unless I have a paid ticket in my hand for a session.

Dave

Isnt it sad that these days we need to have paid tickets for autograph sessions? The prices are ridiculous and the ballplayers are already making a bazillion dollars. It should be part of your job as a player to do auto sessions.

Jim

Vintagedeputy
02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Now I did go to a local high-school baseball game a couple years ago and 2 dads were there sitting about 3 feet from me - both ex-MLB players. It crossed my mind to buy something of theirs and come back next time to get it signed, but I decided against it because it was more of a family oriented setting (they were watching their sons play), not a sports auction setting.

Just my 2 cents.

I say a missed opportunity is an opportunity lost forever.

A few years ago, I was in physical therapy and saw an auto'd pic on the wall of a Phillies pitcher. I asked who the player was and the therapist said that it was Tommy Greene who threw a no hitter one time. He then pointed Greene out sitting on the other side of the room getting therapy.

I finished my session, ran home and quickly dug out 5 Greene cards and went back. Caught him leaving and heading for his truck. He signed all the cards and was happy to do it.

How many of us would kick ourselves if we had that kind of opportunity with Munson, Clemente, Ken Hubbs, etc and we didnt take the chance and at least ask for an auto? If they say no, so be it. If they sign, its an instant treasure.

Jim

allstarsplus
03-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Just my 2 cents. Dr J - I agree with you as I think there are right places and inappropriate places to approach anyone.

Last year the 13/14 year old travel team I coached had a pre-season March tournament. One of the teams we hosted was from the Baltimore area, and we all knew that one of their star players was Ryan Ripken. We weren't sure if Cal would show up but he did.

A bunch of people approached him, and each one got a nice smile and some took a picture but no autographs. One of the parents said that Cal politely told them that this is one of the few places he wouldn't sign autographs because this day was about the kids on the field.

Andrew