PDA

View Full Version : Interesting inscribed Ken Griffey JR gu bat

metsbats
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-GAME-USED-SIGNED-AUTO-BAT-INSC-REDS-ESM_W0QQitemZ290207851333QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting inscription on this JR gamer. Reminds me of some of the curse inscriptions Mantle used to do for friends.

The thing that strikes me about this bat is the absence of the typical tape job on the handle.

Despite the lack of tape the inscription makes for a unique collectible.

-David

suave1477
02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Metsbats what does the inscription mean?

kingjammy24
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
inscription aside, the lack of any tape at all is a real oddity. i've looked through countless photos of griffey and couldn't find one of him using a bat without some sort of taped handle. i found some of him in BP without his typical criss-cross tape but even those BP bats had black tape around the knob. if anyone can find a photo of griffey using a bat, in either a game or BP, without any tape, i'd very much like to see it.

thanks,

rudy.

Eric
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm guessing he meant to write "change purse" but spelled it "change perce"

chakes89
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Change Piece more than likely means Change Up

BULBUS
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Watching re-runs of Family Guy the other night, it was the first time I heard it refered to as a "change purse". Stewie was shaving down there and he asked Brian if he wouldnt mind getting his change purse :eek: That show is sick!

camarokids
02-22-2008, 05:09 PM
What I find interesting is the handwriting in the inscription , there appears to be three different written letter E's .

The inscription almost looks like two different sets of handwriting . Look at the slight differences , starting with "to Mario" then "All My Best" .

But I am not an "expert" , so I will offer this as opinion......

1. in "Change" and "Best" the "E" resembles a backwards "3"
2. in "Piece" just looks FUBAR, the "I" looks like an "E" was there first ,also one "E" is capitalized one of them isn't
3. The "E" in "nice" , is different from the others

4. Also the "N" in "nice" is really sloppy and the writing flow doesn't look right . Also looks like the pen sat there for a few seconds .......
5. The inscription does not make sense just adds to the drama.......then if you add in the sellers reputation

Any other autograph collectors out there see anything else ???????

kingjammy24
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
perhaps the mario in question is mario monteleone? if so, i know that mario sometimes posts here. perhaps he could elucidate on his murse (man purse) and even show some pictures of it. apparently, griffey found it very impressive.

rudy.

metsbats
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
inscription aside, the lack of any tape at all is a real oddity. i've looked through countless photos of griffey and couldn't find one of him using a bat without some sort of taped handle. i found some of him in BP without his typical criss-cross tape but even those BP bats had black tape around the knob. if anyone can find a photo of griffey using a bat, in either a game or BP, without any tape, i'd very much like to see it.

thanks,

rudy.

I agree that the lack of tape is a red flag when it comes to a Griffey bat.
I'm not a Griffey expert but the model C271 bat not C271L model are typically his main model bat too. This bat is a C271L.

David

nate
02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Change piece is a change up.

Possibly signed to a guy who threw BP to him.

metsbats
02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
http://www.stevenellis.com/steven_ellis_the_complete/baseball_pitching_grips/index.html

Nate,

Excellent information. I found this website which mentions the three finger change piece.

You hit on the head. The change piece broke the bat in BP hence the inscription!

David

metsbats
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
My guess is that Mario is Mario Soto former Reds pitching great who is in spring training now teaching the Reds youngsters the art of throwing the change piece. Soto possessed one of the nastiest change ups in the NL while he was pitching for the Reds.

I wouldn't be surprised he was pitching some BP and broke Juniors bat!

David

suave1477
02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow I must say I am very impressed wiht every one here and I think this is one of thee first threads started where an item came in question and members here were able to disect the nature of the bat, by the autograph and inscription.

And it seems like you guys were able to come up with a highly likely answer that this was a BP bat that was given to a BP Pitcher from Jr..

Very Good Guys!!!!

joelsabi
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
wow you guys can start a new crew of CSI: GUU Division

Game Used Bats
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
To correct a previous post Griffey used LVS C271L all of 2007. Perhaps BMH can back this up?

AWA85
04-14-2008, 08:42 AM
It is back on the BAY.