PDA

View Full Version : "Common" players that sell for more due to demand

commando
02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Anyone know of any "common" players that sell for more than other comparable teammates, because of collector demand?

I believe Woody Dantzler is one example, based on all the collectors on this board who seem to collect him. All it takes is two collectors for the bidding war to commence!

jwasserman
02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
pat neshek's stuff sells incredibly well

Anyone know of any "common" players that sell for more than other comparable teammates, because of collector demand?

I believe Woody Dantzler is one example, based on all the collectors on this board who seem to collect him. All it takes is two collectors for the bidding war to commence!

Chris78
02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
For me, there are a few ways I would look at this.

If the player is local to my area or I have seen him in the minors, I would have more of an attachment to that player. For instance, I own Mike Bascik's Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons jersey (gave up 756) when he was in the Phillies system so this jersey means more to me due to the history of what happened after he left the Phillies system.

I also am someone that is trying to buy a game used jersey of each team eventually so a player that played with the Phillies, but played with or is now with another team, I might have more interest in obtaining their jersey with the other team (for instance, I thought about buying a David Dellucci Diamondbacks jersey). This player most likely would be a common.

I know that this may not be exactly what you were looking for, but this is my approach to this.

godwulf
02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
For instance, I own Mike Bascik's Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons jersey (gave up 756) when he was in the Phillies system so this jersey means more to me due to the history of what happened after he left the Phillies system.

I have a Team U.S.A. jersey Bascik wore in '06, because he was a Diamondbacks prospect at the time...and because of the DBacks connection, I, too, would be more likely to buy one of the jerseys (or bats) that he used with another team.

I also am someone that is trying to buy a game used jersey of each team eventually so a player that played with the Phillies, but played with or is now with another team, I might have more interest in obtaining their jersey with the other team (for instance, I thought about buying a David Dellucci Diamondbacks jersey). This player most likely would be a common.

By coincidence, the last jersey I bought was a 2006 Dellucci Rangers jersey - again, because of the DBacks connection, and also because he was very nice to me both times that I met him.

Early in my collecting, I found it almost impossible to find actual Diamondbacks jerseys, so I started buying Major and Minor League jerseys from other teams, of the DBacks players. Sometimes it can get out of hand; example, Ed Vosberg pitched briefly for my team in '99, and at last count I had Vosberg jerseys from nine different teams.

Of course, one frequent (and controversial) reason for a "common" player's stuff to be more in demand and expensive is his untimely demise. I recently bought a Mike Coolbaugh bat, not for any kind of investment it might represent, but because I just wanted to have one in my collection as a sort of tribute. I didn't pay a fortune for it - less than $80 - but, of course, chances are that it wouldn't have sold for even that much were Mike still living.

Chris78
02-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Very good points!!!

I would assume that you live in the Phoenix area. It must be nice to have Spring Training coming. How is it with getting game used bats during Spring Training? I was out there for a week with the Arizona Fall League but did not try until the last day I was there and was not able to get one. Around where I live, I have a lot of minor league teams to go to but have not tried getting any bats; although, that may change this year especially with the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs coming (AAA-Phillies) which will be close to me.

BTW, my brother lives in Scottsdale, although he is not into getting game used stuff like I am, other than trying to get foul balls.

medindians25
02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
pat neshek's stuff sells incredibly well

That is because he auctions it on his website, and you have to offer a ton to get it. I have won 4. I listed on eBay a GU ST light jacket and had an offer of $125. I declined it because it wasn't really worth it to me to sell it that low. It has a BIN/BO, $199. I expected it to have more interest, but the collectors on that board have little to no money, lol

godwulf
02-22-2008, 06:01 PM
How is it with getting game used bats during Spring Training? I was out there for a week with the Arizona Fall League but did not try until the last day I was there and was not able to get one.

I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I've been living here since '93, and have only been to a couple of ST games - the only one involving the DBacks was played against the Giants in Scottsdale Stadium in '01. I've just never taken the time. On the other hand, I've become a full-blown AZ Fall League addict; this past year, I took two weeks' vacation and went to a whole bunch of games. I only asked for one bat (from then-DBacks prospect Aaron Cunningham) and it had already been given away...but I think that bat was the same one I later bought on eBay for $16.50, so that worked out okay.

BTW, my brother lives in Scottsdale, although he is not into getting game used stuff like I am, other than trying to get foul balls.

I'm a Scottsdale resident, as well. Will wonders never cease, we're actually getting rain today...that's twice in one week.

Chris78
02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Raining in that area is unusual....we have had snow here today.

godwulf
02-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Saw an eBay listing today that reminded me of another reason that some common players' stuff goes for more than one would expect, given their actual careers; it was for a bat of Pete Rose, Jr. I have to confess that I've tried to get one of those a time or two, but am always outbid. Guess I really don't want one that badly. As much as I'd like to have one of his dad's bats, I know I'll likely never shell out the small fortune it would cost me.

Another player who comes to mind, for a different reason - Billy Bean. About the only player I can think of whose gear is likely to have "gay interest" in the auction title. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

OleMiss
02-24-2008, 08:03 AM
When he was in college we took my 6 year old nephew to Ole Miss and at the time Dellucci was the star player. We took our camera and took some pics from our seats. When we got home my wife sent Dellucci the pics and told him how he was our nephew's favorite player. To our suprise about two weeks later we had a message on our machine from Dellucci that he was in town and wanted to meet our nephew. Turned out his girlfriend lived in the same town as us. I had to be out of town so my wife got to take my nephew and meet him. He signed the pics for him and let him swing his bat. Dellucci is the only game used bat that I have. I hope to get one of his jerseys one of these days.

dcgreg25
02-24-2008, 08:41 AM
OleMiss, that is a great story. Its good to hear stories like this about players. Yet another great thing about this board, I get to hear great stories like this about some players who really go out of their way for fans.