PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Smith Phillies Jersey????

hblakewolf
02-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Forum Readers-

The following "1978 Lonnie Smith Jersey" is being offered on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONNIE-SMITH-1978-PHILLIES-GAME-USED-JERSEY-27_W0QQitemZ8767670489QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

This is not a team issued Phillies jersey, and has three major, glowing problems:

27 on back should be positioned lower, allowing the name SMITH to be added above. The Phillies incorporated names on back on the late 1970's home and road jerseys.

The name L SMITH in the collar is completely wrong. It should read simply SMITH, and also notice that the sewing goes THROUGH the collar and can be seen on the exterior of the collar. You will NEVER see a team issued Phillies jersey with the name in the collar stitching sewn THROUGH the collar.

The Wilson tag should be in the tail, directly above the year tag.

I have had quite a few of these 1978 and 1979 style Phillies jerseys. They were issued and manufactured for the minor leagues. The Wilson tag on these is found in the collar, as opposed to the correct positioning in the tail (MLB jerseys have the Wilson tag in the tail). This particular jersey in question has had the Wilson tag removed from the collar, allowing the bogus L SMITH name to be added.

I have a 1981 Lonnie Smith jersey, 100% original. If anyone would like to see what the correct name in collar or name on back should look like, please email me for a photo.

As I always say, do your homework. Any photos of the Phillies in 1978 and 1979 on Getty or even a baseball card will clearly show what the correct style should look like.

FYI
Howard wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net