PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. Swingman Bats

whirl
02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I have seen Griffey Jr. Louisville Slugger Bats with the same model numbers, but under his name some have Swingman and some have the team name. I understand that the Swingman Bats are purchased by him so they can be resold. Is there a difference in price? Is there a difference in desirability or is that simply a personal preference? Thanks. Rex

kingjammy24
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I understand that the Swingman Bats are purchased by him so they can be resold.

i've heard the same. not sure if it's true. perhaps BMH can shed some insight. what confuses me about that idea is what it implies about his "team name" bats; were bats with "seattle mariners" on them not meant to be resold? as i understand it, players, not teams, secure bats for themselves. griffey secured the swingman and team name bats. did he intend for one group to be sold via retail channels and the other not to be resold at all? if so, i'd personally rather have the team name bats - ie: the bats that weren't intended for retail sale. griffey was renowned for pumping the stuff out. whether it was all legitimately used by him is debateable.

rudy.

jshortt
02-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm from the Cincy area, and my friends that are "in the know" all say that the Swingman bats are harder to come by. I, too, have heard that the Swingman bats were purchased by Jr. so that he could have them under his control instead of the team's. Also, as far as the other, older game used bats with team names on them, you'll find that most of them are uncracked. When that is the case, the team can't exactly ask players to fork over the uncracked bats because they are technically "still in play." That would be the same as just walking into a player's locker and taking it. The uncracked ones, if they have no special meaning, can be taken out the back door all day long. It's also been said around these parts that Jr. is VERY particular about his bats...to the point that any time he breaks a bat during a game, the bat boys are instructed to take them directly to his locker and leave them there if they are still in good shape, otherwise, they are to be destroyed.

hth,
Josh

metsbats
02-21-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13846&highlight=swingman

Here's BMH's post regarding the Swingman bats.

David

whirl
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Rex