PDA

View Full Version : Burnitz jersey

Swoboda4
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I've been looking for a burnitz brewers home white but as forthcoming as this seller is in desrcribing the jersey I don't see how it can be an extra and still be worn. At least not by Burnitz.
http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d9/0b/2150_1.JPG
http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/d9/0b/23dd_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Jeromy-Burnitz-Mil-Brewers-Game-Used-Home-Jersey_W0QQitemZ290205546647QQihZ019QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l124 7QQcmdZViewItem

suave1477
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok Swoboda I am curious you can call me stupid, but why can't this be a game worn jersey?

tilley72
02-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Swoboda4,

Feel free to forward any questions to myself. My e-mail is: Manningfan4ever@yahoo.com

I would be glad to answer any questions you had regarding the authenticity of this item.

-Andrew

uwmrules09
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Swoboda, I was there when the jersey was purchased. It came directly from the Milwaukee Brewers and I doubt they would sell suspect items. The lack of strip tagging indicates it was purchased by Burnitz. The Brewers issue 2-3 jerseys of each style to a player for the season. Burnitz probably ordered more to wear and the Brewers dont tag the extra jerseys the players order. I know of several examples off the top of my head that go along with this. I've gotten this information direct from brewers personnel, so unless you have a statement from the Brewers equip manager, I would like to know why you call it suspect as well.

Swoboda4
02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Hello tilley72 and uwmrules09. First of all I broke a rule by not contacting the seller first,so apologies for that. The description contained the phrase "...this was MOST LIKELY an extra set that Burnitz ordered past his original sets". So I wanted to read the LOA and couldn't enlarge it.I'm partial to strip tags and again, broke a rule by not contacting you first but no strip tag,"most likely an extra set",and LOO(Opinion) not readable(but its heading does not include the words game used, so I brought it up to the Forum.
Suave,hello. I didn't think it couldn't be game used I just wanted to be more comfortable and I'm a strip tag nut. The letter of Opinion is headed:
2001 Jeromy Burnitz Milwaukee Brewers home Jersey only the rest not readable at least on my computer.

tilley72
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Swoboda4,

Here is what I can tell you about this jersey as I am the seller of it. I purchased the jersey directly from the Milwaukee Brewers back in December as a part of their ongoing festivities. They annually have a clubhouse sale of items where you can go into the home and road clubhouses and buy merchandise. I did a bulk purchase of jerseys, bats, and a few chairs from the Milwaukee Brewers at this time. That is how I obtained this Burnitz jersey along with the other items I have offered on ebay and to some members via trades.

This is what I can tell you regarding the jersey itself. The jersey shows what I would consider light to moderate wear, it has some light marks on the shoulders along with some light fraying of the logos thread, mostly in the gold part. The Brewers in 2001 issued I believe 3 or 4 sets to there players, after that each player could obtain extra jerseys through the team for use at the cost of $20.00. This jersey was one of the extra jerseys that was ordered by the Burnitz himself and not by the team for Burnitz. The reason I know this is due to the lacking strip tag. The jerseys that are issued directly by the Brewers since I believe 2000 have had strip tags in the neck, which usually have the Year, Player Name, Size, and the Inventory Number for the Brewers. I have recently come by a few Brewers jerseys, along with additional information from Brewers personnel that substantiate this and without that information I would not have listed this jersey on ebay.

If you have any further questions regarding this jersey or any of the others I have listed feel free to send me an e-mail at: Manningfan4ever@yahoo.com or send me a message via ebay or GUU messaging.

-Andrew

tilley72
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Additionally, if you would like a larger scan of the MEARS LOO or larger pictures of the jersey feel free to send me an e-mail requesting the specific items and I will e-mail them to you by the end of the day.

-Andrew

Swoboda4
02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Andrew -thank you. Is there any way the Mears Letter of Opinion for the Burnitz can be viewed? Thanks again
Robert

tilley72
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Rob,

Send me an e-mail and I will send you a scan of the LOO as an attachment later tonight.

-Andrew

suave1477
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Tilley do you mind if I ask and this is also just out of curiousity and I am not questioning you buygin this jersey. But if you bought this item directly from the Brewers then why would you need to have it Mears Authenticated?

tilley72
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Suave,

To answer your question there are various reasons why I had the jersey evaluated by employer, MEARS.

1. MEARS Database: As a MEARS research intern, it is my job to add and verify certain things regarding jerseys. When I purchased these jerseys from the Milwaukee Brewers, it was part of my job to add this into our database. What I do is find examples, including ones in my own collection, and verify the certain aspects of that jersey.

2. Tangibility: I personally like to have something that is easier to handle than a jersey and easier to look through than a rack of jerseys in my house. When I have a LOO from MEARS in my filing cabinet it makes it easier for me to find what I currently have both in my collection and for sale/trade.

3. Resale Value: I believe that by adding a MEARS letter with any jersey, whether it come with provenance or not, it will increase the resale value of the jersey due to the trust that people have in MEARS.

Additionally, I would like to restate that within this auction and within all of my auctions that I sell an item with a MEARS LOO, I clearly state that I am an employee of MEARS.

If you have any further questions regarding this jersey or any of my other jerseys I encourage questions and will answer them as soon as possible.

-Andrew

bigtruck260
02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
OK - I have been following this post, and have decided to comment. Please correct anything if it is wrong or you have questions...

If you (Tilley) were actually working for MEARS when this jersey was entered into the database, it seems to me that there is at least a slight conflict of interest there. You are selling a jersey that was evaluated by your employer?

If Someone at PSA was selling an autograph that had been authenticated in-house by PSA I might say the same. This has nothing to so with the legitimacy of the jersey...the Brewers letter would be enough for me - especially at that price.

Maybe I am wrong, but boredom at work has led me to read the employee handbook several times...I am not trying to discredit you in any way. You have answered every question asked of you...and that is more than many corporations do when items of theirs are questioned in this forum.

Regards,

Dave

ironmanfan
02-20-2008, 01:49 PM
As long as there is proper disclosure of such, I don't see a problem. I'd much rather see a MEARS employee sell something of theirs (which they are entitled to) with MEARS paperwork rather than send it to someone else (i.e. Lampson) to authenticate.