PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Boycott Starts Today - Join In

sammy
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
A nation wide boycott of eBay starts today for one week.

This is in response to eBay's announced changes, with the main contention being feedback.

A seller will no longer be able to leave negative for a buyer, regardless of what the buyer has done or not done. A buyer may leave the seller a negative even if the seller did everything perfect, or a buyer may leave a negative for any reason they choose, and there isn't a damn thing the seller can do about it.

Of course, eBay states that if a non-paying bidder does not respond to a non-payment notice from eBay, the bidder can not leave a negative. What they don't tell you is the bidder can respond, still not pay, and then leave a negative. The seller is left with no money, a tainted auction, a lot of wasted time and energy, and a negative.

Personally, I find this to be the most asinine, stupid, and plain head up the a** move that eBay has ever instituted.

Their new rules lay all of the burden on the sellers, with the almost three percent increase in fees, and the totally unfair and throat cutting change to the feedback policy.

The only thing eBay understands is the bottom line, and I am doing everything in my small world to decrease that bottom line, now and in the future.

I started my boycott a week ago. I am not selling or buying anything on eBay for three weeks, nothing.

Please join in, as it is to your benefit too.

sammy
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Here are two threads in regard to the eBay boycott. As you will read, many have pledged to boycott eBay during this week. Both buyers and sellers, as it will effect everyone in one way or the other.

To those who do support the boycott, I thank you. To the others........................

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?tstart=0&threadID=1000636290&mod=1201983218017&anticache=1202237856678 (http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?tstart=0&threadID=1000636290&mod=1201983218017&anticache=1202237856678)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1202238221/last-1203442396/OT-++Ebay+Seller+Strike (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1202238221/last-1203442396/OT-++Ebay+Seller+Strike)

aeneas01
02-25-2008, 01:07 AM
as a 10 year ebay member (buyer/seller), i applaud the change and support it thoroughly. the bleak reality, imho, is that far too many ebay sellers have abused the negative feedback feature for far too long and, as a result, they will now reap what they have sown. as a matter of fact i would like to see ebay go even further by suspending any seller that threatens a buyer or uses abusive language when corresponding with a buyer. some of the emails friends and collectors have shared with me over the years, from abusive and threatening ebay sellers, are simply unbelievable.

sure, there will always be an an occasional dead-beat buyer - but it has been my experience that when the goods are solid, the shipping time frame reasonable and communication timely and open in the event of a snafu, then things rarely go wrong for a seller. in short, i sincerely believe that the honest and fair sellers on ebay, and there are many, have absolutely nothing to worry about as far as the new rule is concerned. it's the jerks that sell crap, that don't back up their goods, that play games with buyers because they can hold a negative feedback over the buyer's head - they're the ones in for a rude awakening. and i say "great" to that!

nyjetsfan14
02-25-2008, 01:26 AM
as a 10 year ebay member (buyer/seller), i applaud the change and support it thoroughly. the bleak reality, imho, is that far too many ebay sellers have abused the negative feedback feature for far too long and, as a result, they will now reap what they have sown. as a matter of fact i would like to see ebay go even further by suspending any seller that threatens a buyer or uses abusive language when corresponding with a buyer. some of the emails friends and collectors have shared with me over the years, from abusive and threatening ebay sellers, are simply unbelievable.

sure, there will always be an an occasional dead-beat buyer - but it has been my experience that when the goods are solid, the shipping time frame reasonable and communication timely and open in the event of a snafu, then things rarely go wrong for a seller. in short, i sincerely believe that the honest and fair sellers on ebay, and there are many, have absolutely nothing to worry about as far as the new rule is concerned. it's the jerks that sell crap, that don't back up their goods, that play games with buyers because they can hold a negative feedback over the buyer's head - they're the ones in for a rude awakening. and i say "great" to that!

I couldn't agree more and could not have written it any better or differently!

ahuff
02-25-2008, 11:04 AM
nyjetsfan14 & aeneas01,

I couldn't disagree with you more. I've got over 900 transactions and am about even with buying and selling. Certainly ebay is unmatched in their ability to bring buyers and sellers together. I don't believe anyone could ever argue that. But your statement, "sure, there will always be an an occasional dead-beat buyer - but it has been my experience that when the goods are solid, the shipping time frame reasonable and communication timely and open in the event of a snafu, then things rarely go wrong for a seller." I'm thrilled that that has been your experience. However, I'm not sure how much you are active on ebay - my guess is that you have under 100 feedback rating (If I'm wrong, I do apologize). I've gone years without issues, and then it seems the crazies all crawl out of the woodwork at the same time. There are certainly fraudulent people out there both as buyers AND sellers. That is why I believe ebay should not give a voice to one and not to the other. No matter what hat I have on, I want to know what type of person I'm dealing with. If I sell to someone, I want to know if I have potential issues down the road. Afterall, it is a two way street.

I've had buyers that were told things up front that then come back and file a complaint (one even left negative feedback without even communicating. Then when I've left notes in my feedback they lied about it). Since ebay adopted their 5 Star program, I've done 19 selling transactions. I don't have ONE perfect 5. This doesn't make sense!!! The reason I say that is that every auction I run clearly indicates shipping rates, I ship the item the same (or latest next) day, I provide them with their delivery confirmation number, and provide them with tons of descriptions, photos, and even tell them to feel free to ask any question they would like. How does that not qualify for perfect ratings???? Perhaps a perfect 5 is achieved only when I can tell the future, know who is going to win the auction, and already be standing at their front door waiting with their item. Never mind that some of these people are the very same ones that you have to send payment reminders to. What would their ratings be if given an opporunity to voice a seller's opinion in a 5 star program?

I've rarely had an issue with a seller (once out of my 900+ transactions). That being said, I have an issue with buyers probably 1-3 times out of every 100 transactions.

nyjetsfan14
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
nyjetsfan14 & aeneas01, I couldn't disagree with you more.

That's what makes the United States of America the greatest country on God's green earth.

GO JETS!

jerrywcole
02-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Great Email Aeneas01. I have bought over 1800 items on ebay. My feedback is 100% positive but there has been several times where I was reluctant to leave negative feedback secondary to fear of retaliation. There are alot of sellers that do a poor job and then retaliate if you after trying to work things out leave them negative feedback. I do not support the boycott and in fact will try to find more items to purchase.

Jerry W Cole

momen55
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
i had perfect feedback until a year ago after 6 great years. a guy never paid or responded back for a month. when i sent an unpaid item strike through ebay, he then said "i didn't get your emails and didn't give me enough time to pay and that i was impatient"
he left negative feedback and screwed me! i contacted ebay about it and what happened, nothing! and the guy had recieved countless negatives for not paying by others!
those new rules are bogus, and if they don't change them, they are going to loose big time. i still list there, only because i hit a broader market. the stuff noone wanted here, i sold there. have to keep the collection going, you know.