PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Boycott Starts Today - Join In

sammy
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
EBAY BOYCOTT STARTS TODAY - JOIN IN

A nation wide boycott of eBay starts today for one week.

This is in response to eBay's announced changes, with the main contention being feedback.

A seller will no longer be able to leave negative for a buyer, regardless of what the buyer has done or not done. A buyer may leave the seller a negative even if the seller did everything perfect, or a buyer may leave a negative for any reason they choose, and there isn't a damn thing the seller can do about it.

Of course, eBay states that if a non-paying bidder does not respond to a non-payment notice from eBay, the bidder can not leave a negative. What they don't tell you is the bidder can respond, still not pay, and then leave a negative. The seller is left with no money, a tainted auction, a lot of wasted time and energy, and a negative.

Personally, I find this to be the most asinine, stupid, and plain head up the a** move that eBay has ever instituted.

Their new rules lay all of the burden on the sellers, with the almost three percent increase in fees, and the totally unfair and throat cutting change to the feedback policy.

The only thing eBay understands is the bottom line, and I am doing everything in my small world to decrease that bottom line, now and in the future.

I started my boycott a week ago. I am not selling or buying anything on eBay for three weeks, nothing.

Please join in, as it is to your benefit too.

TFig27
02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Great, I'll find some steals with less bidders!

eBay does not force anyone to use it.

sammy
02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Go ahead, cut your throat.

The only problem is their won't be fewer bidders, just fewer sellers.

I am sure there will be many people like you with short sighted vison.

TFig27
02-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I am not selling or buying anything on eBay for three weeks, nothing.

Well, there is one less bidder.

Do you really feel that this boycott will be effective?

eBay can charge whatever they want. To really show them, instead of taking three weeks off, never buy and sell on there ever again.

Until there is an alternative to eBay, as a seller or a buyer, it is the best tool for worldwide exposure.

allstarsplus
02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
eBay sent me last week a 10% bonus to be used on any purchase up to $1,000 for being a good customer and I used it to buy some Michael Jordan shoes.

Compared to paying an auction house 10% to 20% of the final hammer price, I still think eBay has its niche. Yes, it got a little more expensive but they have had many more 10 cent and 20 cent listing promotions in the past 6 weeks and hopefully they will continue that.

Hopefully they will rethink the buyer feedback mistake, but otherwise I am extremely happy to do business there.

Just my 2 cents!

Andrew

ironmanfan
02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
it won't change my buying or spending habits one bit (in fact I'm eyeing some pretty nice pieces that will end within the next 3-4 days). Like everything in life, it's a personal choice. If it gets to the point where there are better alternatives, I'll consider stopping, otherwise it's business as usual for me.

sammy
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't begrudge them their increase in fees, as it is still the best deal around.

My main contention, as with most people, is their feedback change in regard to only a buyer being able to leave a negative. Without that change, I am fairly certain a boycott would not have been called for.

Just because it is the only game in town, doesn't mean I have to play, or even attend.

It is a personal choice, and one I choose to make. It might not make a bit of difference, but as the saying goes, if you don't vote, don't complain.

bigtruck260
02-18-2008, 05:13 PM
As a seller, I hate the fact that buyers are immune to negatives. There are too many people that choose to screw up and do not care about consequenses.

As a buyer - there is nothing better. I will be like the Swiss - and takle a neutral stance during the boycott. I will not sell any high end stuff...

Ebay has issues, but I have found some great deals there - and saved TONS of money over the years. I use it for far more than just sports related stuff. I buy clothes, DVD's, pretty much everything...at a fraction of retail cost.

Out of 1000+ transactions, I have dealt with 3 unresolved transactions. There have been plenty of issues, but all were eventually closed.

Dave

stlbats
02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I tell you the problem I have with ebay users. So many of them are too darn lazy to even leave feedback period. I transaction can go as smooth as ever and they wont leave you feedback. Hard to build up a rating. It also seems tough for people to send emails.

Jason

sammy
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Here are two threads in regard to the eBay boycott. As you will read, many have pledged to boycott eBay during this week. Both buyers and sellers, as it will effect everyone in one way or the other.

To those who do support the boycott, I thank you. To the others........................

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?tstart=0&threadID=1000636290&mod=1201983218017&anticache=1202237856678 (http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?tstart=0&threadID=1000636290&mod=1201983218017&anticache=1202237856678)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1202238221/last-1203442396/OT-++Ebay+Seller+Strike (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1202238221/last-1203442396/OT-++Ebay+Seller+Strike)

pietraynor
02-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Personally, I've bought/sold on ebay for 10yrs & have 100% feedback. If you don't give the buyer a reason to leave you negative feedback, then I don't see a problem, most either leave the appropriate feedback or none at all as previously mentioned. Also, didn't ebay just issue a statement lowering fees starting Feb. 20th? Lastly, in my opinion, the Game Used Forum is not a place that ebay should be debated. Let's stick to the hobby. Jay.

TNTtoys
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Personally, I've bought/sold on ebay for 10yrs & have 100% feedback. If you don't give the buyer a reason to leave you negative feedback, then I don't see a problem, most either leave the appropriate feedback or none at all as previously mentioned. Also, didn't ebay just issue a statement lowering fees starting Feb. 20th? Lastly, in my opinion, the Game Used Forum is not a place that ebay should be debated. Let's stick to the hobby. Jay.
Jay,

Couldn't disagree more.

I too have been buying and selling on ebay for 10 years and have a perfect 100%. My wife hasn't been as lucky. Her seller's reputation is tarnished because of a couple of bad buyers. One went as far as destroying a valuable item she sold, then got all of her money back through a chargeback. We not only lost the money, the item, but got a nice shining negative too. For nothing. The only thing she was able to in return was put a warning to other sellers under the buyer's feeback. This is no longer. I predict that with this new feedback system, sellers will be victimized much more.
Part of the reason sellers like us have 100% positive feedback is because the 'fear of the negative' has kept buyers in line throughout the years. With no recourse to their actions, this will change. I don't think by too much, but it will... and there is nothing that sellers are able to do now to limit the damage.

Also, I believe that Game Used Forum IS a place where ebay should be discussed because it is the marketplace/source of the vast percentage of items from our hobby that we buy and sell regularly. For better or worse, the tie between ebay and the game used hobby is not going to change anytime soon.

Nick

otismalibu
02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I won an item recently on eBay and paid right away with Paypal. As the weeks went by, I kept emailing the seller to get an update. After a month, they angrily responded. I shifted to kiss @ss mode and got my money back. But I checked his feedback for the prior weeks, every time he got a negative or a neutral because the buyer was in the same boat as I was, he would retaliate with a negative. Dozens of eBay buyers got undeserved negatives. I'm guessing this is the type of behavior they're trying to put an end to.

I sell occasionally on eBay and have had to leave a few negatives over the years. I suppose someone could try to cause problems, but I've never had that issue. The worst anyone has done to me is not pay. And it's not like I send the item out before payment.

34swtns
02-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Your ebay boycott will prove to be as inaffective as the yearly "gas boycotts". If you could get as many as a million users to stay away from ebay for a week it would still amount to only a flea bite on an elephant's a$$.

sammy
02-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Hey sport,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

At least there are people trying to do something against a issue they disagree with.

While others just sit back and whine about how ineffective something my be.

bigtime59
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I believe that this "no negs for buyers" policy isn't going to last all that long. Sellers can simply adapt by refusing to leave feedback until feedback is received...and state that--along with the reason why--boldly in their eBay listings. (I know I'll be rewriting my boilerplate soon.)
I've taken negatives I didn't deserve, but I've never been afraid to leave negative or neutral feedback when I felt it was called for.
It is what it is. We're just going to have to adapt...until it changes again, and we have to adapt to whatever the new policy is.

suave1477
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM

I am sorry I completely disagree with you on this. I have done nothing wrong in any of my transactions on ebay yet my rating is 99.3% instead of a 100%, WHY, because a package may have arrived a day or 2 after the buyer expected, due to the US Post office or UPS, something completely out of my control and the buyer was too impatient and left me a negative feedback, So I ended up suffering.
I wont mention names but someone who I won a game used item from on ebay I sent then a payment immediatley after the seller started complaining that he didnt receive the payment after I explained to him several times I did, he turned around and left me a negative feedback, then a day later emails me saying he made a mistake and found my payment mixed up in his mail.
Another I won something from ebay sent the seller the payment never received the item, sent email after email no response after 3 weeks. I left a negative feedback, in retaliation the seller left me a negative feedback. Yet he never once contacted me or ever sent me my item.

suave1477
02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Your ebay boycott will prove to be as inaffective as the yearly "gas boycotts". If you could get as many as a million users to stay away from ebay for a week it would still amount to only a flea bite on an elephant's a$$.

I have to agree with 34swtns if your going to do a boycott towards ebay to truley hurt them you have to organize something way ahead of time and get people truly on board to all do it at the same time.

Posting the day before your doing a boycoott is not going to work.

Ebay is a million dollar a day industry do you honestly think they are going to cry if you get 20 maybe 50 or even a 100 people to boycott them for one week.
Here is my best bet, I am willing to bet they don't even notice you.

So after your boycott do not expect an email from ebay apologizing for how much they have been overcharging sellers or to revert back to there old feedback system.

godwulf
02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
If I owned or ran eBay, the two changes I would make with regard to feedback would be to make it easier to retract, in the event of misunderstandings or feedback left in anger, and to set up a system whereby some nut (like the one who Neg'ed me some years ago) who only bids on an item every six months or so and always leaves Negative feedback - somebody whose hobby is obviously just messing up Sellers' 100% rating - would simply have their feedback erased, if it was obvious that's what they were doing.

That said, I have to agree with those who've expressed, in so many words, the opinion that an eBay "boycott" is somewhat like spitting into the wind, at this point...unless you could somehow get a few million people to go along with it for an extended period of time.

sammy
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Suave and 34sw:

You are both misinformed and under the wrong impression. This is not "my" boycott, but one I simply decided to join after I found out about it. If you would read some different message boards beside the GUF board, perhaps you would have known about this weeks ago when the boycott actually started getting organized.

I included two links from other boards where this was discussed in an earlier posting. As you may see, this started in January, not the day before it officially began.

My initial posting on here was to inform others that may not have been aware of this, not to organize a boycott.

Perhaps this boycott will not change a thing. Then again, perhaps it will have eBay reconsider their ill conceived feedback policy change.

If people quit buying and selling on eBay for a week, they will feel it eventually. Even if it is just one week every month or two.

Their revenue has already been decreasing, that is why they instituted these policy changes. If it decreases more because of these boycotts, perhaps they will revise the one policy change that most people are in disagreement with. That being the unequal playing field in regard to negative feedback.

If you never try, you will never achieve. You can accept things as other people dictate to you, or you can say "enough" and try to change the circumstances.

Every journey starts with a single step.

This boycott is the first step.

suave1477
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Suave and 34sw:

You are both misinformed and under the wrong impression. This is not "my" boycott, but one I simply decided to join after I found out about it. If you would read some different message boards beside the GUF board, perhaps you would have known about this weeks ago when the boycott actually started getting organized.

I included two links from other boards where this was discussed in an earlier posting. As you may see, this started in January, not the day before it officially began.

My initial posting on here was to inform others that may not have been aware of this, not to organize a boycott.

Perhaps this boycott will not change a thing. Then again, perhaps it will have eBay reconsider their ill conceived feedback policy change.

If people quit buying and selling on eBay for a week, they will feel it eventually. Even if it is just one week every month or two.

Their revenue has already been decreasing, that is why they instituted these policy changes. If it decreases more because of these boycotts, perhaps they will revise the one policy change that most people are in disagreement with. That being the unequal playing field in regard to negative feedback.

If you never try, you will never achieve. You can accept things as other people dictate to you, or you can say "enough" and try to change the circumstances.

Every journey starts with a single step.

This boycott is the first step.

I am not saying you directly Sammy were organizing the boycott as far as looking at other forums, I do from time to time but really have no interest too. As far as it havinf ebay reconsider or changing something IT WONT. Again your sailing to realize the absolute no impact /effect you will have towards ebay. Ebay is a million dollar a day businessthat's 7 million over a week span and your trying to hurt them by taking a loss of $1,000 to if your lucky $10,000 dollars once a month.
Dude the owner of ebay spens that for his triple cotton sheeted with pink flower toilet paper made by Ralph Lauren.

You say its a first step, no its not. It is pissing in the wind as another member said earlier.
Making a first step is when you can ORGANIZE a real boycott. Not send out over a few forums "Hey Everyone were gonna boycott on XYZ date"
So if we didn't hear about it here sooner tells me its not that serious. If I was organizing a Boycott I would take time to find and locate every possible Hobby site/forum. Try to get directly in touch with people and make them aware of whats going on set up a possible website of what would be going on. Send out a spam email to people to try to attract others outside of the Hobby Industry.

I didn't see any tacttic at all then getting a word a mouth from you/sammy the daybefore the whole thing.

I am not putting any of this on you I am just saying what the person who is organizng this should have done to even become a bite on an elephants a$$ because at this point it is not even going to be a bite.

Simple math
Lets sat at most you cause them to lose $10,000 a month
They make around 28 mil a month

I dont think I need to go any further.

sammy
02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Well, accept what others dictate to you.

I don't lay down that easy.

TNTtoys
02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Just wanted to throw into this argument the fact that ebay is holding a pretty big trump card...

If an organized boycott causes ebay to lose a small percentage of their fees for a given week, all they will need to do is send a broadcast out to sellers for a "20 cent listing day" or similar promotion, and the items for sale will be back on their site in droves.

For example, I run a daily search on specific game used items, which normally yields about 400-500 results. Last week, ebay ran a 20 cent listing promotion, and everyone came out of the woodwork to list their items. One day later, that same search yielded 750 items. Sure, they were listed at lower prices, but should a great number of them sell, ebay will rake it in with the final value fees.

You simply cannot compete with this kind of a move with a boycott. Let's just say for instance the boycott wipes out 10% of this category for the week. The ebay trump card will squash it tenfold.

TFig27
02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
No one forces you to buy or sell on eBay. If you are unhappy with them as a company, just stop doing business with them. One week will not do it.

I think they should offer free listings this week. That would be fun. :D

commando
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
The only true way to take on eBay is to open or patronize another online auction site. Unfortunately, others have done exactly that, with very little success. Right here in Grants Pass, Oregon is a company called OnlineAuction.com. They were created a few years ago to do internet auctions the "right" way, and have a nice building and a few employees here in town.

But, even after five years or so, you can go to OnlineAuction.com and see that they are no threat to eBay whatsoever. I went there just now and typed in the keyword "USFL." Two auctions showed up. I typed in "used jersey" and got 32 auctions.

When all is said and done, where are sellers listing their items? eBay! Sellers list items on eBay because that's where their items get viewed and bid upon. Sure, if you list a $100 item on another site for a starting bid of $10, you'll probably get a bite. But where are the others who will bid the price higher? You have to be an insane seller to list a free-market item on a small auction site.

34swtns
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey sport,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Hey sport" yourself, "chum".

That being said, if nothing is to be gained I prefer to venture nothing.

Crazy realistic me.

Enjoy your boycott. :rolleyes:

sammy
02-20-2008, 04:51 PM
How do all of you pessimistic people spouting all your negativity get anywhere in life? Then again, maybe this is your life.

Some concerned individuals are at least trying to right a perceived wrong and negativity is what most of you post.

Have a piece of cheese to go with your whine.

suave1477
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Sammy nooooooooo this is your life your the one who is whining none of us are complaining.

I am sure some, if not most, of us would be involved with a REAL boycott that was going to make some progress.

But basically making a pretend boycott that NO ONE WILL HEAR - WILL GET YOU NOTHING.

ITS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO SHOVEL SNOW UPHILL AND IT KEEPS FALLING BACK DOWN AND YOU THINK YOUR DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE BECAUSE YOUR SHOVELING.

IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO MAKE HEADWAY GET A PLOW TO PUSH THE SNOW TO THE SIDE INSTEAD OF JUST PUSHING IT IN FRONT OF YOU TO JUST WATCH IT ROLL BACK DOWN.

sammy
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Suave,

Being as you have 2160 posts, and basically comment on everything and anything, I would venture that this is YOUR life.

One person may only be a shovel, but many would make that plow your refer to. Guess you and many others would prefer to be just more snow getting in the way.

Perhaps in the future, if you get an undeserved negative and there isn't anything you can do, just sit back and go BAAAAAAAAA.

Last post from me on this subject.

Wishing all of you the best!

TFig27
02-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Suave,

Being as you have 2160 posts, and basically comment on everything and anything, I would venture that this is YOUR life.

One person may only be a shovel, but many would make that plow your refer to. Guess you and many others would prefer to be just more snow getting in the way.

Perhaps in the future, if you get an undeserved negative and there isn't anything you can do, just sit back and go BAAAAAAAAA.

Last post from me on this subject.

Wishing all of you the best!

If you do the type of business where this price increase would affect you, one negative will not tarnish your feedback rating.

Think of stores like Walmart. Do you think they have a 99% or 98% customer approval?

I think they sell snow shovels there too.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

nyjetsfan14
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Whoa, this is getting way bizarre!

both-teams-played-hard
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Sammy nooooooooo this is your life your the one who is whining none of us are complaining.

I am sure some, if not most, of us would be involved with a REAL boycott that was going to make some progress.

But basically making a pretend boycott that NO ONE WILL HEAR - WILL GET YOU NOTHING.

ITS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO SHOVEL SNOW UPHILL AND IT KEEPS FALLING BACK DOWN AND YOU THINK YOUR DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE BECAUSE YOUR SHOVELING.

IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO MAKE HEADWAY GET A PLOW TO PUSH THE SNOW TO THE SIDE INSTEAD OF JUST PUSHING IT IN FRONT OF YOU TO JUST WATCH IT ROLL BACK DOWN.

This boycot was not orchestrated by Sammy. A lot of folks around the country are involved with this protest. If eBay changes their feedback stance; then this protest worked. EBay is a borderline dictatorship. But, I've got some cool stuff off of their site, and there is no viable alternative.
As for the snow shovel comparison: I've lived in Florida and Southern California since 1985. Look at me...I beat the system!

34swtns
02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Betcha' you can buy snow shovels........

ON EBAY!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!:D

suave1477
02-21-2008, 02:58 AM
This boycot was not orchestrated by Sammy. A lot of folks around the country are involved with this protest. If eBay changes their feedback stance; then this protest worked. EBay is a borderline dictatorship. But, I've got some cool stuff off of their site, and there is no viable alternative.
As for the snow shovel comparison: I've lived in Florida and Southern California since 1985. Look at me...I beat the system!

Bothteams as I stated in a previous post I understand sammy himself did not organize this protest. My point is thisIf your gonna try to make an impact make on that is going to be noticeable and organize it so it is noticeable. What they are doing who ever gets involved with this unorganized boycoot will go unnoticed I am not saying this to be negative I am saying this cuz it is a business fact.

Here is my point - Let's say 1000 people do this boycott over a weekspan Ebay will lose a minimum of $200 / .20 cents per listing - that breaks down too about $28 dollars a day.

This is a company that makes around 7 million per day

Do you really think there going to, not even care, but even notice a $28 dollar difference per day?????

Here is maybe a better example instead of he snow shovel one lol lol:D

If you own a pizza shop and your normal earnings are $833 a week and this one week you made $832.99 - is it even really going to register to you that a very small group of people protested and caused you to lose a penny????