PDA

View Full Version : COA question

8oh8
02-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Hey all,

Recent won an auction from AMI for a GU jersey; however what concerns me a bit is the fact the the team COA (in co-relation with GE) that came with the jersey has a 'printed' signature of the equipment manager on the COA, via GE. Not sure if purchases from AMI are 100% foolproof, though they do seem to be somewhat of a reputable source from reading some of the posts here. Any ideas if there should be a concern regarding this?

TIA

mvandor
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
AMI pushes alot of bad product, search posts here. If you're looking for a second opinion, you'll need to post info & pics here on the item.

CollectGU
02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
What item was it? AMI's stuff is solid..

Regards,
Dave

David
02-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't comment on your LOA specifically, but not all good LOAs and COAs are hand signed. I had a genuine Miami Dolphins equipment manager LOA (on Dolphins letterhead) that had his name type printed with no signature. PSA/DNA, GAI and Mike Gutierrez LOAs often have pre printed signatures. While many LOAs are hand signed, a pre-printed signature doesn't in and of itself mean an LOA is bogus.

G1X
02-17-2008, 08:04 PM
This all begs the question, are we buying a COA or a jersey? The only question that should really matter is whether the jersey is what it supposed to be.

I have a drawer full of erroneous, misstated, and downright bizarre COAs, LOAs, team letters, etc. I wouldn't even pass them on if I ever sold the jerseys as the inaccurate documents are absolutely worthless and would add nothing but potential confusion to future owners.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

David
02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Some LOAs can serve as documentation of provenance. Even if there are errors, a team LOA at least shows that the item came from from the team, which is no minor detail.

David
02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I tend to consider LOAs as second opinions, to be corroborated and double checked by you. If the LOA comes from a good source, and both you and the LOA writer agree on the identity, you are in good shape. When selling, passing along the LOA is good for the customer, showing him that it's not just you that is saying what the item is. Passing along the receipt or catalog page showing you purchased something from a reputable auction house or respected dealer is something a collector will like. I don't know why they'd want you to suppress those kinds of details. As with Mark, I have had LOAs that are wrong and don't do anything with those.

Some LOAs provide important information that you can't show on your own-- ala proving prvenance like a team LOA showing it came from the team, an LOA stating that the item was consigned from the player's family. This is important information to pass along with the item.

In the end, LOAs are like graded cards. The grade on the card label is someone's opinion, and an important thing before buying is what is your opinion of the grade. If you and the label agree a card looks like a Near Mint 7, that's grade, but it would be dumb to buy simply because what is says on the label.

LOAs and card labels are second opinions-- an addition to, nor replacement of your opinion. And when the LOA and you agree, that's a good. thing. Presumably, if you and the LOA disagree, you might not want to buy the item in the first place.

David
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
One other thing-- while I acknowledge there are useless and even wrong LOAs (The Xerox repairman's authenticity opinion of a Da Vinci painting is not something I require before resale)-- but neither do I understand collectors who say LOAs are useless and should even be thrown away. If buying or reselling a Green Bay Packers jersey I don't know why someone would not want the opinion of a former Packers equipment manager, and desired it signed in writing. I would think the equipment manager might provide some valuable insight into Packers jerseys ... If the seller if a longtime Chicago dealer in Cubs memorabilia, I don't know why you wouldn't want to know his opinion about a Cubs batting helmet, and glad he provided it in the form a signed note. I grew up a Brewers fan, and I'm sure he knows more about the Cubs than I ...

LOAs are documentations of other peoples' opinions, and some opinions can be valuable and helpful. And, of course, upon resale customers are glad to know about other, corroborating opinions. I don't know of an eBay buyer who wouldn't be glad to know a Packers jersey is coming with a letter from a former team equipment manager. If I was a customer, I'd be glad to know this.

8oh8
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Awesome......Gentlemen, thanks for the info!

G1X
02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
David,

You have stated some excellent points. The intent of my original post was for the posters in this thread to not get too hung up with the team COA. Instead of being overly concerned with the COA, the first and foremost point of emphasis should be on the jersey itself. Is the item what it supposed to be, regardless of what the letter states (or doesn't state)?

I normally pass along COAs if I have them, but if the COA is erroneous to the point of confusing, I feel that I am doing a disservice to pass it on. There are few things worse in this hobby than misinformation - whether or not intentional - that turns fiction into fact (or fact into fiction). A poorly written or erroneous COA has the ability to do this for some who are not willing to perform their due dilligence and research. Like a virus, it can spread quickly, especially if the jersey changes hands a few times.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

scottanservitz
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I think Mark is dead on with his opinion that when someone is looking into purchasing a game used jersey that the jersey must sell itself. The buyer is responsible for knowing what the tagging is supposed to look like, what the jersey attributes should be such as font, style, name plate or no nameplate, player characteristics, etc. If the jersey is missing something the LOA or documentation means nothing. If a jersey shows no wear, but has a LOA stating it is worn, what is the buyer supposed to think? I do think if the jersey stands on its own and the LOA supports this then you have a tremendous piece! There are too many collectors that just rely on everyone else's opinions. They have to do their research to make sure they will be happy with their purchase. I have seen many jerseys with LOA that just don't seem to me that they are what they are supposed to be. With the available resources we have now along with the knowledgable people such as here on this forum, I personally don't need a LOA for my own piece of mind. But if there is one and the jersey is what it appears to be then I am satisfied. My last purchase did not have a LOA with it. What it did have was everything I was looking for in that jersey without a doubt. Therefore I ended up being very pleased with my purchase. And back to the original posters question about LOA with facsimile signatures, some teams did have that. Thanks.
Scott