PDA

View Full Version : Jersey protection?

scottanservitz
02-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I was wondering how members protect their game worn jerseys? If you display them on mannequins, do you rotate or put them away after so long? My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers. I am just throwing it out there to see how you guys think? By the way, I realize framing with UV glass is an option, but I prefer my jerseys not framed.
Scott

b.heagy
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
just curious about the dry cleaner bags. why not store them in those? Very curious as I have many of mine stored this way.

TFig27
02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers.
Scott

Why does she say this?

mvandor
02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
To protect from fading of colors and signatures, if any, I don't see how you can avoid placing any collectible in UV protected cases of some sort.

scottanservitz
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I really don't know why she says this, but everytime I say I am going to get some dry cleaning bags she says not to. I am guessing because of mold and or moisture being held in the bags over long periods of time. I will ask when she gets home. Until then, any other suggestions? I want to enjoy them and not put them in a box and not get to look at them.
Scott

scottanservitz
02-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Ok, my wife just returned. I asked her about the plastic bags from the dry cleaners and she told me she read somewhere that you are supposed to remove your garments from those and put into cloth garment bags. They do make the plastic garment bags, but supposedly cloth is better. This is all about the breathing of the material and not holding in moisture she assumed. Not very scientific evidence, but it makes sense.
Scott

TFig27
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.

otismalibu
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know about jerseys, but I had a fancy shmancy leather jacket in the closet, inside a plastic bag and it was almost like the adhesive started to liquify and run, where second layers of leather were sewn on. That was the last time I put anything in a plastic bag.

I've got some game jerseys and some M&N and I just display them in the open. Actually just ordered one of those mannequins. If I can't display it, I see no point in owning it.

Vintagedeputy
02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.

Same here, never had a problem. My one jersey has been in this plastic since 1986.

scottanservitz
02-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Tom,
I would think that would be ok. I was looking to do the same. Obviously it would take quite a bit of moisture over a prolonged period of time to have mold/mildew start to set in. I would think a dehumidifier run periodically would help too. But in a nutshell, we need to see our jerseys to appreciate them!
Scott

PK
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't really see the benefit of covering a jersey in plastic, these jerseys go through way more when the team has them then you do hanging them on your wall or in your closet.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems pointless to cover them in plastic. What are you protecting them from, dust?

Jays1fan
02-16-2008, 05:20 PM

That is what I have done too.

Vintagedeputy
02-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Don't really see the benefit of covering a jersey in plastic, these jerseys go through way more when the team has them then you do hanging them on your wall or in your closet.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems pointless to cover them in plastic. What are you protecting them from, dust?

dust, kids walking by tripping and watching juice fly across the room onto a wall...... you name it

bigtime59
02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Now that I have the case finished, three are there on display, while the rest reside in what I like to call the "jersey jail". The jail has a window air conditioner set into one wall, and a dehumidifier. (I didn't heat the jail, simply because it was impractical to do so when we modified the space. I sometimes wonder if that was such a good decision.) Jerseys in the case are going to be rotated at least monthly.
A friend of mine mentiioned a source for UV blocking film which I am going to apply to the windows in my home office (location of the case). Until then, the blinds stay drawn.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ndevlin22
02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey, lets not forget moths!!

B1SON
02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
As you can see if you click on my website link in my sig, I have pics of my room on the main page. Anyway, I use the $106.00 buy-it-now with free shipping black wood cases from Ebay. I love them. They have nice hnged doors and they are deep enough to put a screwed down card holder on a display easel of the player wearing that jersey. I recommened them 100%!!!!!!!!!

frikativ54
02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey, lets not forget moths!!

That's a really, really good point. Never underestimate the power of moths and their juvenile forms, the culprit caterpillars. :eek: I'm lucky I don't keep any g/u stuff here in my Portland apartment. Moths came under my screen last fall, and it has been nightmarish ridding myself of the larvae. They take up residence in clothing especially. Luckily, the winter weather did the majority of them in. :cool:

rose14
02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Bigtime59, where did you get your hangers that you're hanging your jerseys on?

I need to get some of those.

rose14
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Bump, to see if anyone knows where to get the hangers that BIGTIME is using in his pic that he posted.

suave1477
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
rose there is a guy who sell them on ebay look under jersey hangers you will see them

AWA85
02-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Alright think I am about to purchase my first jersey. Right now living at school I plan on only hanging it. Any tips on hangers, plastic bag over it or not and any other tips? Also this will be one of the Reds vest type jerseys, anyway of finding a similiar undershirt to what they wear or what I should put under it? Look forward to adding this to the collection, so any tips would help.

AWA85
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Has anyone tried the Jersey hangers, they extend out farther and give a more flat look to the jersey on the wall. I am torn between those hangers and some of the torso stands.

scottanservitz
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
If you are limited on space, do the hangers. If not, the mannequin torso is the way to go. It looks museum quality.
Scott

David
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
The bad light from sun and some indoor lights is UVA and UVB. There is special glass that blocks both UVA and UVB. However, normal, everyday glass itself blocks UVB. So normal glass does offer some protection from UV light.