PDA

View Full Version : Gwynn's 1987 Silver Slugger bat

Swoboda4
02-17-2006, 09:33 AM
In the February 10, 2006 Sport Collectors Digest the back page memorabilia sale by B+E Collectibles showcases a Tony Gwynn 1987 Silver Slugger bat on sale for $3,500. Now for a dumb question:Is this the original batting champion award or are there copies given to Gwynn? If this is the original award why would Gwynn of all people,one of the greatest students of hitting part with this?

Robert

RobSteinmetz
02-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Gwynn had several copies of these bats produced. Several have been sold through Lelands. For $3500, I would imagine this is one of those copies.

Swoboda4
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rob. Not only is Gwynn a student of the game but also of this hobby.

suave1477
02-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Hell Rob, I was curious do you know that for a fact that Gwynn had copies made up? I never heard of such a thing of having a copy of awards made up. I am not saying that it is impossible, I just never heard of that. Where did you learn of this?
Kind of like if a singer wins a grammy award it is a one of a kind there aren't copies made up so they can sell them off!!!!

RobSteinmetz
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
There have been at least 5 of these bats in auctions over the last year or two, all of which were marketed as "copies" that were produced per Gwynn's request. I can't recall seeing any of them being sold as originals. I was told by one dealer that they were used for a west coast restaurant display, but I have no evidence of that. If these were original Gwynn Silver Slugger Awards, I would imagine they'd fetch well over $3500 a piece.

eGameUsed
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Not sure if this is relevant, but I obtained a 1997 Gwynn Silver Slugger from Alicia. It comes with her standard 2 part LOA and is described as a "personal" Silver Slugger award. I obtained it as a "copy" and based on the price it couldn't be an original. This is definitely the time when Gwynn was figuring the hobby out and the money to be made.

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)
713-385-1155

suave1477
02-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Rob ok I understand what your saying I actually saw an original silver slugger award sold on ebay for about $10,000 or maybe a little bit more. Here's my next question why would someone pay within the the thousand dollar range like 2 oor 3 thousand for a copied award. I mean in all reality it is a copy and it isn't worth anything?

suave1477
02-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Guys check this out!!! this is from a past auction but i thought it was interesting regarding this topic and i thought swoboda my get a kick out of this

This is strawberrys world series award!!!! if i knew about it i would have paid more!!!!!!

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=2080&getauctionid=10