PDA

View Full Version : Julio Franco Hall of Fame Bound???

suave1477
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey Guys I was looking over my Game Used bat collection and sitting wondering what current players I have that may have a chance going into the hall and I looked at the Franco bat and said naaaah, but then re-thought about it.
And said to myself well a way a lot of players get into the hall are by setting records / standards.

So if you go over Franco's numbers they are not huge but he has decent numbers.
He has won many awards, all star games / all star mvp.

But my biggest of all these is he is the oldest regular season player to ever play in the history of baseball. So with that he has accomplished many things.
Such as being the oldest player to hit a home run and so on.
He has been the oldest player in baseball now for the passed 4 years.

DO YOU THINK THAT MIGHT GIVE HIM A POSSIBLE PUSH INTO THE HALL???

David
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
My opinion is that he won't be elected to the Hall of Fame.

bubbrubb25
02-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I'll prob. be done highschool get married have kids and pass away before he retires.:D

kylehess10
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
He'll probably be just like Andre Dawson......someone who deserves to be in the Hall but waits many years on the ballot. Hopefully he'll play more year

5kRunner
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Kyle,
I don't want to get into a debate, but Julio Franco doesn't compare to Andre Dawson.

The only way Franco gets in, is with 3000 hits. At his current pace, he would probably be 55 by the time he is even close.

worldchamps
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
I would say there is zero % chance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/francju01.shtml

at the bottom they have a pretty cool monitor on if players have the stats to get in the Hall

He is no where near on any of the stats.

I too have a bat, actually it is the first bat I ever got, but sadly there is no way this will be in the HOF part of my collection

23 years and he is not at 3000 or 500...I just dont see it happening

bigtruck260
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey Suave - Edgar Renteria has a better chance...:D :D :D

Dave

Vintagedeputy
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Kyle,
At his current pace, he would probably be 55 by the time he is even close.

I think Ol' Methuselah is 55 now. As much as I like him, he doesnt have the numbers. I can see an exhibit of a bat or jersey and maybe a reference to him being the oldest player but he certainly doesnt reach the level of enshrinement as one of the greats of the game.

Jim

suave1477
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Thats why I said guys,

that he doesn't have the numbers to get in.

I was more curious of if he had a chance on the accomplishments he is making due to his age and chances are it will be a long time before we see anyone else come close to his age in baseball to keep playing.

both-teams-played-hard
02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Julio Franco should be in the Hall-of-Fame. Why? The Hall of Fame is a freakin' joke. It's an institutional country club controlled by old dudes. It depends on the weather. If it's partly cloudy on HOF selection day...then he may get in....but then again he may not. Is Julio cool to 98% of the baseball writers? If he is then he has a great chance. Just because a new year comes, doesn't mean a new HOFer needs to be elected. I just read a list of who has been elected and who hasn't....don't make NO sense! Also, I think most of you guys are only concerned because you want your memorabilia to rise in value.:cool:

worldchamps
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
The one that blows me away is Don MAttingly, he hasnt even sniffed the HAll in votes yet.

And how Sandberg didnt get in his first year, I have a problem with that. He owned his postion his entire career.

Chris78
02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
He will be somebody that should stay on the ballot for the 15 years, will be given consideration by some, but he is not a Hall of Famer in my opinion. As someone posted about www.baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com), there is only 1 player (Enos Slaughter) that he compares to that is already in the Hall of Fame. The most notable names on there that we can relate to that some people might consider to be Hall of Famers are Alan Trammell, Barry Larkin, and Roberto Alomar, and none of these players is a definite HOFer. He is a very good player though and I do like players that have longevity.