PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Lott jersey on Ebay

hrvatwill
02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Am interested in member opinions on the following 1994 Lott jersey being offered on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Jets-Game-Used-Ronnie-Lott-Jersey-75th-Patch_W0QQitemZ320216143887QQihZ011QQcategoryZ8682 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Description references a photomatch and includes the game photo. In comparing the two jerseys, it appeared that the 75th Anniversary patch on the one being auctioned is closer to the numbers on the sleeves than in the game photo. In addition, the size of the sleeve numerals appears to be smaller.

Just wondering what other people think and if the stretching of the jersey over the shoulder pads could be the cause of the apparent discrepancies. Would seem to be a bit of a "stretch" to me :) , but I am sure there are numerous others out there more knowledgable than me in the matter.

For the record, I am not implying that the jersey is not game used, only that the photo might not be a match.

scottanservitz
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think this is a photo match for the fact that there are no absolute markings, scrapes, tears, repairs etc. I am not saying the jersey isn't game used or not. As a buyer you need to look at the player, the position and such as to how much wear should be evident. Ronnie Lott was a beast. He was a punishing hitter and Lott jerseys that have some sort of provenance and wear bring higher amounts than jerseys that don't have those variables attached. I've seen jerseys with team documentation that show little wear and those that don't have it with tons of wear. It comes down to the buyer being satisfied with the jersey as to whether or not they are comfortable buying it. NFL gamers are bringing good money right now. Look at American Memorabilia's auction that just ended. Those jerseys brought BIG bucks. It depended on many of the reasons I just cited. Star players command the most for obvious reasons and as such are also the ones that scammers try to doctor the most. I am not saying this is one of those or not. Buyers need to do their homework before they plunk down the money. Be diligent and in the end you will be happier with your purchase. Hope this helps.

Scott

mvandor
02-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Am interested in member opinions on the following 1994 Lott jersey being offered on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Jets-Game-Used-Ronnie-Lott-Jersey-75th-Patch_W0QQitemZ320216143887QQihZ011QQcategoryZ8682 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Description references a photomatch and includes the game photo. In comparing the two jerseys, it appeared that the 75th Anniversary patch on the one being auctioned is closer to the numbers on the sleeves than in the game photo. In addition, the size of the sleeve numerals appears to be smaller.

Just wondering what other people think and if the stretching of the jersey over the shoulder pads could be the cause of the apparent discrepancies. Would seem to be a bit of a "stretch" to me :) , but I am sure there are numerous others out there more knowledgable than me in the matter.

For the record, I am not implying that the jersey is not game used, only that the photo might not be a match.

The gold vertical side stripes don't jive with 94 pics on Getty at all. He's not showing tagging or the Champion sleeve logos, and I don't buy the story on color from a seller I've never heard of with no provenance to offer.

nyjetsfan14
02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
The gold vertical side stripes don't jive with 94 pics on Getty at all. He's not showing tagging or the Champion sleeve logos, and I don't buy the story on color from a seller I've never heard of with no provenance to offer.

Players such as Lott and Esiason wore a LOT of jerseys during 93 and 94 (nearly one a game). Every Jets collector knows that the spandex side panels from that era would fade to a yellowish green after washings. I have more than a few Jets gamers in my collection with that trait. I wouldn't touch a home jersey from the early/mid 90's if it was claimed to be game used and didn't show that type of side panel coloring. Recently GF had a 94 Art Monk Jets home. The side panels showed no discoloration and the jersey no wear - not good. It is very conceivable spandex panels on the Lott jersey would not match a Getty Image photo because the jersey would have been washed afterwards and thus the color fading would have happened during the washing. Just a lil input. GO JETS!

commando
02-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Players such as Lott and Esiason wore a LOT of jerseys during 93 and 94 (nearly one a game). Every Jets collector knows that the spandex side panels from that era would fade to a yellowish green after washings. I have more than a few Jets gamers in my collection with that trait. I wouldn't touch a home jersey from the early/mid 90's if it was claimed to be game used and didn't show that type of side panel coloring. Recently GF had a 94 Art Monk Jets home. The side panels showed no discoloration and the jersey no wear - not good. It is very conceivable spandex panels on the Lott jersey would not match a Getty Image photo because the jersey would have been washed afterwards and thus the color fading would have happened during the washing. Just a lil input. GO JETS!

If Lott and Esiason wore new jerseys nearly every game, how many times would any of those jerseys be washed? If time is the reason the spandex color fades, then it would make sense... But if the jersey was worn once or twice, I would have to wonder why the color fading is there.

nyjetsfan14
02-16-2008, 05:39 PM
If Lott and Esiason wore new jerseys nearly every game, how many times would any of those jerseys be washed? If time is the reason the spandex color fades, then it would make sense... But if the jersey was worn once or twice, I would have to wonder why the color fading is there.

Just from my personal experience I have found it extremely difficult to find Jets jerseys from the recent past in unwashed condition. Even up until recently when the Jets first started offering gamers via their website the vast majority of Jets jerseys were laundered prior to release. There are of course exceptions, a couple of which are in my collection. They have changed that in the last couple years. So I believe it to be possible if not probable for the side panels to discolored (to varying extents - not all side panels are completely discolored, many have just certain degrees and areas depending on # of washes I presume) I have seen many times. Hope this might help somebody in any future early/mid 90's Jets dealings. GO JETS!