PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Thompson bat

cjclong
02-16-2006, 03:34 PM
There is a Bobby Thompson Adirondack bat on Ebay. The number below the brand is 262. The seller refers to it as a store model. I would like to know if this is the same model bat as Thomson used to hit his famous homerun. I have a picture of the the homerun bat that I got from the Hall of Fame but I can't read the number under Adirondac to see if it corresonds to the number of the bat on ebay. I somewhat underatand the Louisville Slugger numbering system for game bats but don't know about Adirondack. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to collecting and trying to learn.

Birdbats
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM
In general, Adirondack pro bats had "302" in the center label from 1946 through 1983, and "P302" from 1984 to 1989. If it has another number, such as "302F" or "288" (or in your case, "266"), it almost certainly is a store bat.

The bat Thomson used would have been a 302.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

JimCaravello
02-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Would it be possible for you to post the picture of the Bobby Thomson home run showing the Adirondack bat? I would love to see that. I always assumed he used a Louisville Slugger to hit the famous home run. In Cooperstown, there is a Thomson display ( or was a few years back ) to commemorate the famous home run and the display included a Thomson Louisville Slugger if I remember correctly. Thanks, Jim Caravello

cjclong
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm not very computer literate, but if you will give me an address I will send you a photocopy of the picture of Thompson with the bat I got from the Hall of Fame. Before they sent me the information I had assumed it was a Louisville Slugger also. Sorry about being so late in responding, I just realized there was a second response to my question.

ghostkid
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Would it be possible for you to post the picture of the Bobby Thomson home run showing the Adirondack bat? I would love to see that. I always assumed he used a Louisville Slugger to hit the famous home run. In Cooperstown, there is a Thomson display ( or was a few years back ) to commemorate the famous home run and the display included a Thomson Louisville Slugger if I remember correctly. Thanks, Jim Caravello

Jim,

Lelands has an AP wire photo from 1952 of Branca and Thomson up for auction, with Thomson holding an Adirondack 302 bat. Its not proof that Thomson used an Adirondack bat to hit his famous homer, but you might be interested in taking a look. Its lot #132 in their current auction.

Kevin Kasper
kevinkasper@netzero.com

JimCaravello
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Kevin - nice picture. I had not seen that photo before. I guess the photo was taken well after the game - so who knows what he really used!

I sent you an e-mail on ebay the system. I have a bat I think you might be interested. Drop me an e-mail when you get a chance. Thanks, Jim

jcaravello@nc.rr.com