PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Historic Auctions LOAS

10thMan
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I bought 4 Items from Historic, ending Nov 30th, 3 Bats & a pair of Gwynn Gloves. ALL 4 Items were supposedly authenticated by PSA, Period. I even called & asked if they all came with "Full paperwork" & asked about some specifics on 2 of the Items. They were nice & helpful enough to keep my interest. Upon receiving Items, only ONE Item came with PSA Papers. I`ve called several times & Spoke to James, I`ve gotten the same response every time. "We`re waiting for the paperwork" Nov 30th-Feb 6th is a long time to send some paperwork!!! Anyone have similar experience with them???
Sean

kylehess10
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I bought their Sosa Homerun gloves from that same auction and I recieved the PSA letter with the gloves. Oddly though, just 2 days ago, I recieved an envelope in the mail from Historic, and it was a Lampson letter :eek: . I'm still trying to think about what I should do with it ;)

matt
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I am also waiting for multiple LOA's from this auction and had the same exchange with James weeks ago. I am still waiting...

Matt

David
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
For practical purposes, including future resale, you can keep a copy of the catalog description (from the print or online catalog) as proof of where the item came from. If you keep the receipt/invoice you would be able to prove you were the winner.

I've won items from Lelands, who don't issue LOAs, and I keep a copy of the auction catalog description as proof. Upon resale, no buyer has complained about this as evidence that it came from Lelands-- in particular as the catalog description includes pictures of the item(s). And, again, if there ever was some dispute, I have the invoice showing I indeed as the purchaser.

kingjammy24
02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
david,

i don't think the issue is being able to show where an item came from as it is the role of advertised paperwork in a bidder's purchasing decision.

if an item is advertised as having certain paperwork then this paperwork will figure into many buyers' purchasing decisions including the amount of their bid. now what if the truth is that the paperwork doesn't really exist?

awhile ago, patrick scoggin posted about his experience with Historic. he purchased a jersey that was advertised as having a "player letter". a player letter is a pretty hefty piece of provenance. one that would certainly elevate the price of the item. the truth is there was no player letter. you can read about his experience here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12629

personally i don't understand how Historic is "still waiting" on paperwork for items they sold over 2 months ago. at the time of the auction, didn't they already have this paperwork in hand? if they didn't have it in hand, then why did they write their description as if they did have it hand? apparently several consigners sent in items without accompanying paperwork. gosh, what are the odds?

some common sense would be nice. if you say an item comes with a letter, then it better come with a bloody letter. if you don't have the letter on hand, then don't say you do or assume you will.

anyway, you'd be hardpressed to find a worse auction house in this industry than Historic. a james brown/brad wells auction house seems as appealing as a bobby knight/latrell sprewell anger management seminar.

rudy.

10thMan
02-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks Rudy, I agree with you. Here`s what I received. Pudge Bat= full paperwork including PSA front back barrel pics etc. The Pudge Bat has been examined & the letter still has the PSA Sticker, on the actual letter itself. Sosa R161 with only a PSA sticker on it, I can`t assume it`s been Examined, who knows after all this??? Anythings possible. Sosa Sam Bat with NO PAPERWORK. Gwynn Gloves with NO PAPERWORK. They didn`t even have the decency to send the Lampson LOA`s. ALL Items I was told, including in the descriptions, COME WITH PSA PAPERWORK.
Sean