PDA

View Full Version : deals gone bad for no apparent reason

Dewey2007
02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I just recently had a deal I made for a jersey fall through with no reason given to me from the seller as to why. The dealer and I agreed upon a price through e-mail, he sent a PayPal request for payment and I paid it promptly. Then this morning I get an e-mail indicating my payment is being returned. I sent a couple of requests asking why he reneged on the deal but have gotten no response. It was surprising because I had bought two jerseys from him previously and both transactions were smooth.

I'm new to the hobby so in general is the seller in most cases afforded the right to back out on a agreed upon deal w/o question? Is this common? What few items I have sold I have honored the listed/agreed upon price regardless of if I thought it might have been worth more. I guess it's just frustrating and disappointing when folks say their going to sell something or buy something and don't do it.

Anyhow, I just wanted throw it out there and see if anyone had any similar experiences.

allstarsplus
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I am a dealer/collector and it has happened to me too, but generally you get a reason.

I had a dealer reneg on a deal only to find that he never owned the bat in the first place. He knew someone who had it and sold it to me before he secured it from the other party and then after I paid he found the guy that owned the bat sold it to someone else.

You know the old saying, screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

There are plenty of honest dealers/sellers out there!

Good luck. Andrew

Dewey2007
02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah I've dealt with a number of good people and this was just one of those times it didn't work out. Common courtesy and honoring a deal isn't to much to ask. Just had to vent I guess.

If anyone has a Isaiah "J.R." Rider Lakers jersey they'd be interested in selling please let me know. Thanks!

10thMan
02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I "return" or "block" payments all the time, for the following reason...
I do NOT have a "premier business account" on Ebay, or paypal. Selling fees are much higher to be able to accept credit cards etc. I can ONLY accept payments from a debit account, I cannot accept ANY type of "Credit" INCLUDING a "Paypal line of credit"

If i`m selling I cannot state "no credit card payments accepted" or Ebay dumps my listing, TOTAL SCAM. So I just run auctions & later tell people what I can, or can`t accept. Since your "seller" hasn`t responded, could this possibly be the case?
Sean

Dewey2007
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
No I don't believe this to be the case at all. I bought from him before, eBay and non-eBay, with no problems at all either way so this was just a case of him backing out on the agreed upon deal for whatever reasons. I guess everyone can change their minds but at least have the courtesy to say why and offer an explanation.

Neely8
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I had a bad experience not too long ago to which I still have no idea as to what the problem was. In response to a forum member's want ad, I offered him a jersey which fit what he was seeking. After sending him pics. and answering numerous questions he finally agreed to buy it and also agreed to send a money order for payment. So what did I get? A personal check. When I informed him that I would need to wait until the check cleared before I would send the jersey he became very arrogant and rude. He then put a stop payment on the check causing me to pay bank fees for the stop payment and insufficient funds fees as a result of checks I had written based on that check.

skyking26
02-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Not really a "deal." Happened several times so far. One of the members here writes me that he is going to come upon a deal for a number of late 60's or early 70's Tigers bats. each time, he purchases for himself. No problem there, and always happy to hear another collector obtain nice stuff; but insinuation that I have a shot at something leaves me cold when I get left in the dark at the end. He lives 1 hour from me and never wants to meet???

thomecollector
02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Bob, Maybe you should just ignore the clown. He's obviously playing
with you.

RobSteinmetz
02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Guys,

The purpose of this thread is not to name individual names or use this as venue for airing personal grievances against people or entities by name. As a reminder, please review the forum rules on personal attacks. If you can't comply, you'll be suspended and this thread will be locked.

Thanks.

Rob

skyking26
02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Guys,

The purpose of this thread is not to name individual names or use this as venue for airing personal grievances against people or entities by name. As a reminder, please review the forum rules on personal attacks. If you can't comply, you'll be suspended and this thread will be locked.

Thanks.

Rob
Rob: Looked back, I don't think I named anyone...

RobSteinmetz
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Bob,

My post was just a notice to all...you are fine. There are no posts left in this thread that contain any names of specific individuals.

Thanks,

Rob

Dewey2007
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Well I'd like to go on record and say I am pulling a Shaq sized foot out of my mouth today. Seems like I overreacted and the the guy I was dealing with had computer problems and that is why he didn't respond to my e-mails. That and a PayPal oversight on my part led to the confusion. Truly nice guy who is honoring our deal despite the less then kind e-mails I hastily fired off in anger about the perceived deal gone bad. That's now 3 for 3 in dealing with him and hopefully I can continue building my jersey collection through him. A truly learning experience in a lot of ways for me that's for sure.

Happy collecting everyone!