PDA

View Full Version : You could have had them-- MJ 92-93 game Used Playoff Shoes

rburns
02-16-2006, 07:46 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8752835458

Check out this great deal many people missed out on. I remember a major auction house telling me that signed MJ playoff game worn shoes were worth $6000-$8000!

RobSteinmetz
02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
First of all, let me state that I'm not questioning the authenticity of these shoes. I'm curious as to what others think of some of the MJ game used items that have entered the marketplace with letters on Chicago Bulls team letterhead that have no signature and are from "The Chicago Bulls Management".

Some time ago, I was offered a game worn Jordan jersey with a team letter that looked nearly identical to the letter on these shoes. The price was right, but I felt the need to contact the team to verify that they actually issued letters of this nature. I spoke to a very prominent member of the front office who told me that they never issued letters on game used items without a specific name and signature.

I suppose it's possible that items make their way out the back door with generic letters to protect the identity of the team employee who smuggled the item, but it seems like 95% of the Jordan pieces with team documentation have these generic letters signed by "The Chicago Bulls Management". I'm curious what others think.

hblakewolf
02-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Rob-
I would not know the difference between a real pair of MJ game worn sneakers and a pair of my brother's Keds! Basketball shoes are not my area of expertise.

The reason for my post is to shed some additional light on the LOA. When I was purchasing game worn Bulls jerseys back in 1987-1990, the same tyep of "generic" LOA was provided on my pieces. All were signed by S. Gold. Who was S. Gold, you ask? A non-existant employee of the Bulls franchise. People were demanding letters, so the individual with the team provided these to please the hobby and cover his behind. It should be noted that the equipment (Jordan jerseys, Paxson jerseys, etc.) was some of the best to ever get out, however, the letters were totally worthless!

This may be the same type of issue with the shoes.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
02-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the insight!

trsent
02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Check out this great deal many people missed out on. I remember a major auction house telling me that signed MJ playoff game worn shoes were worth $6000-$8000!

First off, what difference does it make what a major auction house says a pair of MJ shoes are worth? Really, ten years ago these should would have fetched $20,000.00 at auction or private sale.

The shoes may or not be good, they look fine, but The Bulls letter appears to be garbage. I have owned more game used Michael Jordan shoes than most, and I have never, ever seen such a letter from The Bulls. I know the person on the other letter, and that person was involved during The Bulls Championship Era as a dealer-collector.

Howard's comments about the "S. Gold" letters is funny because though the letters were deemed not good, the jerseys sold with the letters were always deemed good. Remember, this is all back in the hey-day of selling Chicago Bulls memorabilia.

checkyourfactsexperts
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
[quote=RobSteinmetz]First of all, let me state that I'm not questioning the authenticity of these shoes. I'm curious as to what others think of some of the MJ game used items that have entered the marketplace with letters on Chicago Bulls team letterhead that have no signature and are from "The Chicago Bulls Management".

**Post removed- this was posted by a banned user**

checkyourfactsexperts
02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
**Post removed- This was posted by a banned user***