PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bagwell/Scott Elarton Jersey

cjosefy
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
This jersey certainly appears to have an interesting history. I give credit to the seller for honestly describing the alterations, but $25 shipping on a jersey seems a bit high.

"2000 Jeff Bagwell/Scott Elarton Houston Astros Game Used Jersey. I bought this jersey around 5 years ago for more than $1000 from an Astros collector and NEVER had it checked out when I purchased it. I went to sell it and noticed the name and number change. The jersey was originally #50 Scott Elarton's jersey. His name and number have been replaced with Bagwells' name and number. A very faint outline is still on the jersey. Now I do not know if the Astros did this or someone else, that is why I am selling it as is and letting the buyer decide. Majestic size 48 jersey. "0062" wash code tag inside (all original). Astros 40 years patch."

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Jeff-Bagwell-Houston-Astros-Game-Used-Black-Jersey_W0QQitemZ270208153220QQihZ017QQ

AstrosCollector
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
That jersey has alot more problems than the shipping price!

I purchased a jersey with the same problem. It was advertised as a 1998 autographed Craig Biggio game issued jersey. When I got the jersey, it showed definate signs of game use, and started to think that I might have got a good deal on a Biggio gamer.

After closer inspection, when I flipped the jersey inside out and held it up to the light, I could clearly see the outline of "46" on the back. A Trever Miller jersey altered to be passed off as a Biggio. I was able to get a refund from the buyer only after calling them out on it.

There is no way that the team made this name and number change. The jersey isn't Bagwell's size (50). Obviously changed to try to make a profit. The black jerseys are pretty rare and I would have placed a nice bid on it if it would have remained an Elarton gamer.

It sucks that guy spent $1000 on it, believing it to be a Bagwell gamer, and will probably only get a fraction of that in return. I give him credit for disclosing the name and number change!

frikativ54
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that's too bad to hear, and also why I am reluctant to place bids for g/u equipment on eBay. The sad thing is that there is a market for Scott Elarton jerseys.

I was always a huge Elarton fan, and I even brought a "Scott Elarton Fan Club" sign to an Astros vs. D-Backs game in Arizona a number of years back.

I would have loved to own a nice Elarton gamer too, as I pretty much have all his rare Astros baseball cards. Too bad.

frikativ54
01-31-2008, 05:19 PM
BTW - Has anybody seen the Bagwell g/u stuff listed on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeff-Bagwell-Game-Worn-Wristbands-with-5-Embroiderd_W0QQitemZ300194449193QQihZ020QQcategory Z73419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeff-Bagwell-Game-Worn-Brick-Red-Astros-Cap_W0QQitemZ300193722859QQihZ020QQcategoryZ50117Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wasn't able to photomatch the first of these, and I don't remember the Astros wearing red hats, except in spring training.

Could anybody help me out on these?

cjosefy
01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I wasn't able to photomatch the first of these, and I don't remember the Astros wearing red hats, except in spring training.

On my website you can see a Tony Eusebio 2000-01 Red Hat. I purchased this from Hartel sports, so I'm pretty sure it's good. They wore those hats with the white Sunday alternates in 2000-01. For what it's worth, Hartel has a black Bagwell hat listed on their website and it is a 7 1/4.

AstrosCollector
01-31-2008, 05:42 PM
The Astros still wear those red hats. They wear them with the white alternates. I have attached a link to a photo of Hunter Pence from the 2007 season.

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/viewphoto.php?albumId=&imageId=743359&source=search&page=1&searchField=ALL&searchstring=hunter%20pence&orient=any&sort=&sortorder=&numperpage=20&imagepos=16

I am not sure about the wristbands. Bagwell was never a real big wristband wearer. I remember him wearing them his first couple years, but they were Easton.

frikativ54
01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
On my website you can see a Tony Eusebio 2000-01 Red Hat. I purchased this from Hartel sports, so I'm pretty sure it's good. They wore those hats with the white Sunday alternates in 2000-01. For what it's worth, Hartel has a black Bagwell hat listed on their website and it is a 7 1/4.

I am not familiar with Hartel; how legit are they? Where do they get their stuff from?

AstrosCollector
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
I know they have made a couple bulk purchases from the Astros.

www.hartelsports.com (http://www.hartelsports.com)

frikativ54
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I know they have made a couple bulk purchases from the Astros.

www.hartelsports.com (http://www.hartelsports.com)

Where else would you recommend for Astros g/u stuff? I am looking primarily for cleats and batting gloves, as well as hats, pants, warmups, etc. A fielder's glove would be number one on my list, though.

cjosefy
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Already at $160. I personally think this is higher than an unaltered Scott Elarton jersey would go for. Perhaps a more hardcore Elarton collector can comment on the price. Then again, maybe people just want to believe that the Astros made the alterations. Who knows?

eGameUsed
02-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I know for a fact this was never worn by Bagwell. I have (2) 2000 jerseys with the Enron Field patch, both Size 50. I have (3) 2003 jerseys with the Space Shuttle patch, all Size 52. The Astros do not alter jerseys for player's use. They keep a great supply of blanks and make each jersey in the clubhouse. This would never happen!

Thanks,

frikativ54
02-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Dear Chris,

Did you see the following: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeff-Bagwell-Game-Worn-Wristbands-with-5-Embroiderd_W0QQitemZ300194449193QQihZ020QQcategory Z73419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem? I cannot find a style-match for this pair. Could you help me out. Do you think they are real?

I know for a fact this was never worn by Bagwell. I have (2) 2000 jerseys with the Enron Field patch, both Size 50. I have (3) 2003 jerseys with the Space Shuttle patch, all Size 52. The Astros do not alter jerseys for player's use. They keep a great supply of blanks and make each jersey in the clubhouse. This would never happen!

Thanks,

cjosefy
02-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Sold for $330. Gee whiz. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that this jersey is sold to someone else without disclosing the fact that it had a name and number change. Call me cynical I guess.

eGameUsed
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Dear Chris,

Did you see the following: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeff-Bagwell-Game-Worn-Wristbands-with-5-Embroiderd_W0QQitemZ300194449193QQihZ020QQcategory Z73419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem? I cannot find a style-match for this pair. Could you help me out. Do you think they are real?

Leslie,

I have a couple of pairs of those. The grey bands are made by a company names Hansen (sp?) that is not around anymore. I believe these wristbands to be REAL, but not worn by Bagwell. Jeff stopped wearing wristbands in 1992-93 time frame (Easton), and has only wore a few on occasion since. I recall seeing him at a game in 2005 with a single black Nike wristband with no numbers. I would more likely call this pair offered game issued. I have sold a few of these pairs through the years, so these might have originated from me as I have done many deals with this seller.

Thanks,

eGameUsed
02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Sold for $330. Gee whiz. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that this jersey is sold to someone else without disclosing the fact that it had a name and number change. Call me cynical I guess.

Chris,

I agree! This will likely end up back on the market. I will keep spreading the word to some of my customers. Most know by now that since 2000, Jeff has worn a minimum of Size 50. Sometime between 2001 and 2002, he switched to a 52. Surpringsly, my 1999 Road jersey is a 46. Big jump from 1999 to 2000 in terms of size. He bulked up a bit quickly!

Thanks,