PDA

View Full Version : Travis Buck jersey

whatupyos
01-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Anyone pick up a Travis Buck game used A's jersey with team LOA today at A's fanfest? Someone beat me too it.
Aaron
SunDevil2126628@hotmail.com

hippo916
01-26-2008, 10:44 PM
There was only one home and one road for $400 each. And, surprisingly, they were the first to go! But didn't you end up with a Barton and Suzuki?

whatupyos
01-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Negative...must have had me confused with someone else. I only wanted a Buck jersey, thats all I came for. I was 16th in line. I noticed the same 4 guys are always the 1st there in line. I would have been 1st but the idiot manning gates at the BART plaza didnt get confirmation to open the gate until 20min after the others were open. I was there since 6:30am. Pissed me right off. The same guys dominate the FanFest/weekend auctions, its pathetic! I'm writing to the equipment manager tomorrow because there needs to be some kind of a limit as to stuff you can buy...to make it fair for everyone else. I bet the same 4 guys have half the entire A's jersey collection since they've been selling them. Thats funny there were only 1 home and 1 road. I was surprised at the prices...way cheaper than before. I got ripped off last year becasue I bought a Crosby gamer and it was half what I paid this year. What happend to the other Buck gamers? I figured they'd have 2 home 2 home cool base, 2 road and 2 alternates. Guess not.

hippo916
01-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Whatsupyos, I feel yos pain. I'm a season ticket holder and I've attended every Fanfest since inception. Regardless of how early I start out to Fanfest, by the time I arrive in line, there's always a large group in front of me. For a couple years, it was that much maligned Southern California dealer or his 10 year-old runners with the rolls of $100 bills. Because of that, I and other season ticket holders complained, which resulted in purchase limits for several years. One year, the A's implemented a rule that allowed season ticket holders to go first in line; they send season ticket holders four free admission tickets and parking pass. Of course, the non-season ticket holders screamed bloody murder and they abandoned the rule after 15 minutes. About five years ago, the A's did away with the limits but increased their prices significantly to discourage greedy dealers and bulk purchases. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked because I've seen the same people . . . men and women . . . carrying an armful of jerseys out every year. I've spoken to a few of those people, and some are actually season ticket holders with a real and genuine interest in the team. In fact, I've seen some at games wearing the $2,000 Jason Giambi jersey they purchased. So, I cannot complain about them. But there's also that other group that is there purely for financial gain. In the "get a life" department, last year, a security guard told me he caught some of those guys hiding out in the parking lot in the middle of the night . . . one was sleeping in a port-a-potty. As for the prices, I think the Crosbys and Streets were the only names reduced from 2007 Fanfest. I feel yos pain there too because, like you, I paid $500 for a Crosby last year. I wouldn't worry about the weekend auctions. Let those guys dominate and pay three-to-four times the reasonable price for a jersey.

whatupyos
01-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Hippo--
WOW!!! I can't believe that!! Sleeping in a port-a-potty?!?! Hiding out in a parking lot in OAKLAND!! Worst city in America!! haha. I think that says it all right there! Thats insaine. Did you see the first 4 guys this year? The tall one is the one I see at almost every auction/fanfest they have. I know its a fun hobby, but I'm not into it that much to sleep in a piss pot overnight in Oakland, CA or a parking lot for that matter. I am shutting down the collecting soon because I'm moving out of state and just wanted one last jersey, so I'm more than bummed but I guess you just can't beat these guys! I'm not about to spend the night. I'll just have to know pay an outrageous sum at a weekend auction just to secure that I get a jersey. Which doesnt bother me too much, as long as its a one time deal. I'm a genuine fan, not a collector and I'm trying to have a nice sports room for my future home and to pass down to future kids. What did you come away with this year? I was too pissed and just walked out after asking if they had any Buck's hidden anywhere. 4 hours of waiting for nothing and the money spent on the ticket, plus travel, I'm a little mroe than pissed but what can I do...gave it the ol' college try. I'm kicking myself 2 years before this fanfest for not buying an Eric Byrnes jersey I was going too but I had just bought a Rockies one from JerseyDave a few weeks before. If you know of anyone willing to part with a Byrnesie, please let me know.

hippo916
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Whatsupyos,

I'm not hiding in a parking lot or sleeping in a port-a-potty either. And if I ever even think about it, as Ichiro said, I'd punch myself in the face. It's time to reassess your priorities when you're willing to sleep on a toilet to get a few jerseys.

I got in line about 9:00 and after watching, through the glass, the first five or six people go in at 10:00 and load up with jerseys, including Bartons, Bucks, and Suzukis, decided to go into the Fanfest since nothing I wanted was left. So, I didn't go into the sale until the early afternoon. By that time, most of the names were sold. But I was able to pick-up a couple Nick Swishers.