PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Sought

mvandor
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
In a seperate thread, I mentioned my purchase of what I understood to be a game used pair of Shawne Merriman gloves went sour and I'm now in dispute with ebay seller gamegear777.

Interested in opinion of others.

The listing carried the description "YOU ARE BIDDING ON A PAIR OF USED AUTOGRAPHED GLOVES SIGNED IN BLACK SHARPIE BY MERRIMAN FROM THE 2007 SEASON. (NO INFORMATION ON WHEN THE GLOVES WERE USED.)"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190190760659&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

When I could not photomatch them, I asked and seller indicated they could have been practice worn. However, upon receipt, it was evident gloves were brand new, they were immaculate inside and out and although XL, were uncomfortably snug on my hands and I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs. - Merriman is listed as 275 lb.

Conclusion, they were never on Merriman's hands as I do not see how they could fit. They showed ZERO signs of wear.

Would you disput the transaction?

b.heagy
01-25-2008, 05:24 PM
A friend of mine has a dispute against him for a $4.98 sale (including the shipping - post office lost package). I say if it is not as advertised and your not satisfied - dispute it.

XPFO
01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
The crappy thing about the sellers listing is that he never actually says Merriman wore them

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON A PAIR OF USED AUTOGRAPHED GLOVES SIGNED IN BLACK SHARPIE BY MERRIMAN FROM THE 2007 SEASON. (NO INFORMATION ON WHEN THE GLOVES WERE used"

:eek:

XPFO
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
So to answer your question...yes I would dispute it, but he never actually claims Merriman wore them in his listing.

Let us know how it turns out.

XPFO
01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
In some of his other auctions, the ones where he procides photo matches too, he actually states things like "YOU ARE BIDDING ON THE ACTUAL PLAYOFF GAME USED GLOVES WORN BY TRUFANT IN THE WILDCARD GAME"

mvandor
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
The crappy thing about the sellers listing is that he never actually says Merriman wore them

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON A PAIR OF USED AUTOGRAPHED GLOVES SIGNED IN BLACK SHARPIE BY MERRIMAN FROM THE 2007 SEASON. (NO INFORMATION ON WHEN THE GLOVES WERE used"

:eek:

Reason I asked for other opinions.

While a strict constructionist reading agrees with you, my opinion is that the INFERENCE made is certainly that they were used by the player mentioned during the 2007 season. Certainly, if the seller bought a pair, pulled them on his own hands to make them used, then had SM sign them, the language would cover that, however, it is misleading.

Further, when I told him I could not photomatch the gloves he told me perhaps they were used at practice, again inferring SM used them.

He is more accurate in other listings so I don't know this was intentional, but, I did not take to his attitude. His first response was he'd take them back less fees and costs (not acceptable to me, I'm already out return postage), then indicated he felt I'd had buyer's remorse because NE beat the Chargers! Gimme a break.