PDA

View Full Version : Autographs on a Game Used Jersey?

suave1477
02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Hello Members,

I was curious what peoples thoughts are on getting game used jerseys autographed?

Does autographing a game used jersey bring it up in value?
Also does having them put an inscription on it make it more valuable/
( I have noticed most autographed jerseys just have the players name and maybe the number )

Would you guys reccomend to do it or not?

I have felt the best place to do it is towards the bottom of the jersey any other advice?

PK
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Autographs on jerseys depends on what you like. I think you have to ask yourself a few questions like, are you going to keep the jersey forever or resell the jersey down the road? Remember, not all people like autographs. Some think it decreases the value and would never buy one that has an autograph. Some do not mind autographs on the inside of a jersey where it cannot be seen, others like to display with an autograph on the outside. It's personal preference

Me? I ask myself only one question....was the jersey autographed when they wore it in the game?

suave1477
02-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Me? I ask myself only one question....was the jersey autographed when they wore it in the game?

PK i like everything you said especially this line!!!

I agree and makes good sense, just like the line saying - if it aint broke dont fix it!!!

flaco1801
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
just make sure you have a loa for the autograph as well as a loa for the jersey, then youll be in the MONEY, assuming the loa isnt from (fill in the blank)

suave1477
02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Hello Flaco, no the jersey is real and the autograph will be too. I have the jersey and will have the opportunity coming up soon to meet with the player. I am just contem;plating if I should have it autographed or leave it alone as is?

gameusedfan
02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Personally, I don't really care too much for the autographed jersey. One case where I do actually like the autograph is when the player has written "game used on xx/xx/xx" ASSUMING there is a legit accompanying LOA. It is kind of like a mini-provenance.

Roger

BaseballGM
02-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to dissent. I'm not such a purist to think that an autograph takes away anything from a gamer. IMO, I think it enhances the piece and makes for a better display. Just my opinion. I've read others opinions as to where, ie. on the lower front by the tag or on the back, ie. the number. I prefer the sig on a number and on the back.
No, it wasn't signed when he used it, but then again... he ain't using it anymore.:D

suave1477
02-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Everyone has great ideas I guess it just falls back on me if it is something I want. I do appreciate all your opinions

BULBUS
02-15-2006, 02:19 PM
For the most part, I like my game used jerseys autographed. If I do have a jersey signed, it is on the number on the back. Lessens the chance of bleeding. Silver on a dark number is the best. I recently had 2 jerseys autographed, and they look great.

suave1477
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
BULBUS I do agree silver does look best on a dark number. BULBUS but that is actually the worst to use for an autograph on a jersey, bcuz it fades over time. It doesn't last long on mateirial.

Good Eye Sports
02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
In the Japanese market, having any game-used item signed by the respective player is a HUGE plus. The collectors think somehow the autograph "endorses" the authenticity of the item, which may or may not be the case depending on the player.

I, myself, for resale purposes always prefer a signed gamer, with no preference on where as long as the autograph doesn't draw too much attention away from the jersey itself.

For display purposes for myself, if the jersey has name+number on the back, definately a thin silver paintpen on the number. If there is no name on the back, but a number on the front and back, I would prefer to get the front signed near the bottom.

Goh

suave1477
02-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Goodeyesports as I mentioned to bulbus I am not a big fan of the silver marker on a jersey bcuz over time the autograph will fade and there goes your money out the window.

BULBUS
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I dont know Suave, I have a Mattingly (non g/u) jersey that I had him sign the blue number in siver. Its been about 5 1/2 years and there is no evidence of fading. You just never know when an autograph is going to fade or bleed. That being said, I think it is wise NOT to have an expensive piece autographed.

otismalibu
02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't have any gamers, but I did have a team issued jersey signed by Iverson quite a few years ago. What a horrible looking auto! If I'd have known what his signature looked like, I would have not had the jersey signed. Had a potential buyer ask if I thought the auto would wash out :)

I'm not really big on autos that most people can't read.

Greg

BULBUS
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Thats another consideration when getting an autograph. If the players signature is scribble, then I wont even waste my money or time.

BaseballGM
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Thats another consideration when getting an autograph. If the players signature is scribble, then I wont even waste my money or time. me too. Why put something on there that when viewed by others receives a "What the heck is that?" question. As for silver markers, I believe there are some permanent paint pens that won't fade. Having said that, avoid silver Sharpies, IMO.

suave1477
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the opinions!!!

33bird
02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a 1987-88 game used Larry Bird jersey. He donated it to Ted Turner's Charity Auction and before he gave it to Ted he autographed it pretty large on the back in black sharpie "Best Wishes Larry Bird". It looks good, but if I had my druthers it wouldn't be autographed. Really hasn't faded and it's going on 20 years.
Greg

Spiezio23
02-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Not sure I can add much more to this other than it is just personal preference.

I am curious however as to the number of people that say "was it signed when the player wore it?" are the same ones that wear gamers around the house, running errands, going to the games. I'm not going to assume anyone here is doing that but some hockey guys I've talked to wear the gamers yet insist on no autos cause it wasn't signed when the player wore it, well is the beer spill or mustard stain from the player too? Was your sweat in the jersey when the player wore it?

I have a few gamers that are signed and they were signed before I bought them. It doesn't matter to me if it's signed or not, as long as the auto is real(as is the jersey). If I want a jersey an auto or no auto won't change my mind.

For autographs on a jersey, I started this;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Mariners/FanFest2006006.jpg

It's a spring training used jersey with no name/number on it. I bought it with 1 auto on it and now have 39 player/manager/coach autographs on it. It was started with a blue pen, which has kept me going using a blue pen but it has faded because of this. Some are a bright blue(most recent) while others are a dark blue(oldest). It's even kept in a dark closet when I'm not having it signed.

I'm thinking about starting another one and using a black pen instead, so the fading isn't an issue.

icollectDCsports
02-16-2006, 07:28 AM
It is, of course, a matter of personal preference for owners of the jerseys. To me, autographs on jerseys are rarely desirable. If they are on a jersey, I prefer that they be a reasonable size, legible, and on the tail next to the tags. I think an auto should not be visible on a part of the jersey that was visible to the fans while playing. Bottom line is that legit game worn jerseys are as personal as it gets and adding an auto adds nothing and runs a risk of making the jersey look bad. Autos on a game ISSUED jersey: that's completely different as autos do add personalization to what would otherwise be a piece off cloth that the player had no contact with.

In this hobby, sometimes less is more. I hope dealers in legit gamers will realize that there are a lot of people who feel the way I do.

Good Eye Sports
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Goodeyesports as I mentioned to bulbus I am not a big fan of the silver marker on a jersey bcuz over time the autograph will fade and there goes your money out the window.

I spoke with PSA/DNA about this a while back with the same concerns and they suggested I use a certain type of Stratford silver paint pen, but I couldn't find the right size so I purchased a Pilot medium point. Had only a couple of opportunities to use it but so far so good.

They told me never to use silver Sharpies as they fade over time.

Hope this helps

Goh

suave1477
02-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Spezio I would like to say to you - Do not use a black pen / marker as those fade the fastest it has been a fact, the best one proven to be used is either a blue sharpie or a Permanent Laundry marker. As far as DCcollects - you bring up a very good point about it might be better to get a Game Issued autographed as opposed to a Game Used. Goodeyesports yeah I can definitely understand about the Silver Sharpie would be bad bcuz it is water based, a paint marker is oil based.

PK
02-16-2006, 10:40 AM
I enjoy wearing my gamers and they are mostly hockey. I like to enjoy them and show them off a little bit. Why have them if you cannot show them off? What good does a game used jersey do in a dark closet only seeing the light of day to get an autograph on it? None of them are superstar jerseys, if one was, you can bet I would not wear it out, it woauld be hanging on my wall along with the others

When I do wear them out, I for sure do not eat or drink in them or break a sweat in it for that matter. Any by chance if something did happen to it? I would wash it, just like the team had done many times before.

As with any autograph, unless you saw the player sign it, how can you be 100% positive it is real? Bottom line is you can't. COA, LOA, hologram or whatever, anything can be faked. Will I ever get any of my gamers autographed? Never say never, some autos can look very nice. As said before, a lot depends on what the players auto looks like.

To finish, Spiezio23, I know it is all about personal preference, but game used, pre-season, spring training or authentic, I can never see getting a jersey with that many autographs on it, not attractive at all

Spiezio23
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Why did I get the spring training jersey signed, because it was used but there was absolutely no way of tying it to any certain player or players. It really doesn't have much value even if used, without any player association. Many of the players that have signed it have thought it to be very cool. Would I get a jersey assigned to a specific player(name and number) signed by a team or various players through many years as that one is? The answer would most likely be no.

I have to ask though, with the recent debacle of Full Disclosure, has anyone here removed an auto from a gamer? If you did and then later sold it, was that disclosed? If you had worn it, did you tell the next person who bought it?

Spiezio23
02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I guess I could have added this in my last post.

Does anyone have a list of the specific brands of pens that are known to work well and not fade on jerseys?

I usually get them signed on the jersey fabric in between the numbers instead of on the numbers if that makes a difference.

-Jeremy

suave1477
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Spezio as I stated before my best prefence would be a blue sharpie or a permanent laundry marker.

If you use a sharpie make sure it is not one of the new colors as those don't last the same and don't look right!!!

I never use black after long time black either fades or turns a brownish color

kylehess10
02-17-2006, 06:18 PM
In my opinion, I always think autographed game worn jerseys bring the value up. Also, the best place to me to get an autograph on a jersey would have to be on the number on the back.