PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to Cubs Convention?

5kRunner
01-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Anyone go? Anyone snag any deals?

Living a few hours from Chicago combined with the fact that January is my busiest month at work, I'm resigned to the fact that I will never be able to go. But, I'd enjoy hearing others' experiences.

RobSteinmetz
01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Scott.

I was at the Cubs Convention this past weekend. The place was a mob scene. I've been going to this event from the very beginning, and every year they seem to find a way to squeeze more and more people in. I talked to one guy who stood in line for THREE HOURS to get Felix Pie's autograph. The lines were enormous everywhere you looked. I can remember when you'd get signatures from just about every player in attendance with very little time spent in line. Those days are long gone.

Some collectors may remember the good ole days of the Cubs putting out racks of jerseys from the previous season for $40 each. Those days are also long gone. I spent the entire weekend in the "Clubhouse Sale" room, where the equipment guys auctioned off game worn jerseys, bats, etc. This year they had a bunch of road jerseys (because they are changing the tone of gray they wear in 2008). I ended up buying about 20-25 jerseys, a few cracked bats, and some misc. equipment. If there is anyone you are after, let me know.

Go Cubs,

harpt
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I can't wait to get to the point in my collection when I can't quite recall if it was 20 jerseys I bought, or 25. Considering my entire jersey collection consists of 7...it may be awhile:) Congrats on the great day Rob. GO BREWERS!

RobSteinmetz
01-22-2008, 11:09 AM
One important note on the jerseys sold at this year's Cubs Convention. A number of blue alternate jerseys were auctioned off that were properly tagged from the 2007 season. This style jersey was not worn by the team in 2007, a decision made by the team's former President. The jerseys auctioned off were accompanied by a form letter from the team that had verbage at the bottom about the item being used. However, the equipment managers were very clear about the fact that these jerseys were unworn when they were auctioned off. Please be aware of this if you are offered alternate blue "game worn" 2007 Cubs jerseys.

Best,

5kRunner
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Rob,
The only thing I am interested in for current players would be a cheap batting helmet of anyone.

Know where I can get a Jody Davis bat?

Thanks for the heads up about the issued jerseys. I think Ballparkheroes has an issued Floyd on Ebay. I assume this is an example of the jerseys you are talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cliff-Floyd-2007-Chicago-Cubs-non-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ320210067976QQihZ011QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RobSteinmetz
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Those are the blue jerseys I am referencing. Kim Stigall is the seller of those blue jerseys currently on eBay (Ball Park Heroes). He's one of the hobby's good guys.

No dice on the Jody Davis bat or the helmet, sorry. The team had very few helmets available for sale this year. In your travels if you happen to find two nice Cubs-era J.D. bats, drop me a note. I'd also pay handsomly for a nice Davis game worn glove.

Best,

5kRunner
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll keep my eye out Rob.

Best of luck!

jlew22
01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I went to the Cubs convention and had a great time. I felt like a snagged a few deals also. One of them was an Aramis Ramirez uncracked sam bat showing tons of pine tar and ball marks for $140. I also picked up a Cliff Floyd game worn road jersey. I do not know if you would be interested but I bought a Cesar Isturiz batting helmet that I might sell. Email me for pictures at Bhshardball22@netscape.net

5kRunner
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
jlew,
You have mail.

Nice pickup on the Ramirez bat! I'd love to see some pics.