PDA

View Full Version : Question for SF 49ers Experts

mvandor
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Just picked up a pair of supposed Jerry Rice game worn turf shoes with the story that the 49ers used to donate equipment to SF City College, and that the OL coach there would pull some star player equipment for his personal collection. Shoes came with his letter (Jack McGuire) to that effect. Confirmed there is a SFCC OL coach by that name, and style matched them to a 9/24/00 game photo vs. Dallas in Dallas.

I know some here are familiar with the Niners equipment staff and practices. Is this a reasonable story to you?

David
01-20-2008, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, a couple of years back I saw a pair of 49ers shoes from the collection of the same coach in a Mastro Auction and the shoes were authenticated by MEARS.

David
01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
The below linked online article from the 49ers' website confirms your coach has some connections with the 49ers. He's thanked by name (see list at bottom) for helping set up a 49ers sponsored coaching clinic.

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=1944

hippo916
01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes, CCSF use to receive used cleats and practice jerseys from the 49ers. And if your Rice cleats are from Jack, they are almost certainly authentic. The only concern I ever had with these 49ers to CCSF pieces was dating of some of pieces. For example, are these cleats from 1994, when Deion Sanders wore number 21, or 1996, when another player wore number 21? But with Rice, that should not be a problem.

lund6771
01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
this guy was getting cleats for years...I bought some with a letter from him, almost 15 years ago it seems...

mvandor
01-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks, feeling more comfortable. $250 for them seems like a steal now.

Only concern is they're covered with what looks like the red clay of a baseball infield. Any dual purpose turf stadiums in the NFL on their away schedule that year?

Kansas City - Pre-Season
Seattle - Pre-Season
Atlanta Falcons
St. Louis Rams
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
San Diego Chargers
Denver Broncos

mvandor
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
http://simpworld.com/rice.jpg

mvandor
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
FYI, the source has another pair of Rice and one pair of TO shoes if anyone's interested...

Billyu40
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I would say San Diego (Jack Murphy) or San Fran (Candlestick)!

mvandor
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I would say San Diego (Jack Murphy) or San Fran (Candlestick)!

Unfortunately, both had grass fields in 2000... he wouldn't have worn turf shoes. As far as my research has gone, there were NO away games on dual purpose fields after the Dallas game in 2000.

Unless the Niners have a turf field surrounded by a track at their Santa Clara practice facility, I have no good explanation. The shoes were clean in the Dallas game that year, and I see no other explanation for the red clay on the shoes.

David
01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Perhaps they were also worn by a City College player, perhaps during practice.

mvandor
01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Perhaps they were also worn by a City College player, perhaps during practice.
Doubt it, I'm sure any California JC has a grass field for practice and games. Plus, I'm sure the reason the OL coach could lift these without risk of discipline was that the JC team had no use for them.

One possibility I can't eliminate, possibility there is a dirt track at the 49ers practice facility he might have used them on. Suppose he could have used them in one of his famous mountain runs on his own time but doubt they would have made it back to the Niner locker room if he took them home.