PDA

View Full Version : Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

Tedw9
01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I wanted to start a thread to offset the worst experience thread because it seems most of what we hear lately is bad about athletes. Don't get me wrong, the other thread has some incredible stories in it and I am really enjoying it. But I would also like to hear the good about the guys we collect. Some of my favorite players I collect because they are NICE guys which makes it easier for me to spend my hard earned money on their items. And for the record, I am a guy going on 40 who collects autographs for the enjoyment, I won't sell an autograph I got for free.

For instance, I am a huge Adam Vinatieri fan (even though he went to the Colts :( ). I have met Adam on 3 occasions, each time after a game. Every time he has taken the time to sign, shake hands, take pictures with and talk to EVERYONE who wanted to. The first time I met him, I thanked him for being a good guy and caring about us fans. He then thanked me for being a great fan and for comming to the game. That left an impression on me.

So the third time I met him, I had on his jersey I bought just because I knew he would sign it for me. Well after 2 plus hours of trying to catch him outside Foxboro stadium, I was about to give up. By chance I stopped in the parking lot and asked some other collectors if they had seen Adam. One said he was just about to leave and drive by right where we were standing. When he drove by I ripped open my jacket and hollered "PLEASE SIGN MY JERSEY!" He drove by, saw me in the side mirror, and stopped. He signed for a few others through the window of his truck, but when it came to me, he got out of the truck, signed my jersey, asked if I would like a picture with him, shook my hand and thanked me for being a fan of his. My best friend who was with me and is a Dolphins fan thought I was crazy wanting a kickers autograph. Well, about 4 weeks later, he kicked the game winner in the SB against the Rams.

Because Adam has been so nice to me everytime I have met him, I have tried to collect what cards and autographs I could of his. One of my prized possessions are his game used gloves from the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh in 2005. No, they are no helmet or jersey (I'm small time compared to most of you), but still something game used and something that brings me a ton of enjoyment because I know what a good guy Adam is.

So please share any good experiences you have had with athletes. :)

Fnazxc0114
01-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Today at one of the rangers caravan stops i got jarrod saltalamachia and ian kinslers autographs on game used bats and they wrote game used on them. i have met jim sundberg several times and he has been realy great. one time at an event steve carlton and jim sundberg were there and my brother had his catchers glove. my brother is 12. jim picked it up and talked to my brother about catching for a few minutes and steve carlton threw him a ball. jim made a big deal about my brothers glove being the only one ever used in a pitch by steve carlton and caught by jim sundberg. my brother was pretty excited. jim sundberg is a great guy. also too ian kinsler has signed every time i have seen him.

frikativ54
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Best experience with an athlete is far and away Jeff Bagwell. I met him once in Houston, and held up a sign proclaiming how many miles we flew to see him. We had to get the security guard to point it out to him, but once Bagwell saw the sign, he came over to sign everything, including a game used bat, which he doesn't like doing apparently. My Dad explained to Bagwell how this was my 13th birthday present - coming to see him - and Bagwell even wished me a happy birthday.

The story gets better, though. We have a home in Arizona, and later that season, the Astros were playing the D-Backs in Phoenix. Jeff Bagwell hits the game-winning HR in extra innings. Then we go out to a steak restaurant, and there is Bagwell with Brad Ausmus. My Dad again takes me up to meet Jeff Bagwell and tells him how big of a fan I am. I get to high-five Bagwell, and he treats me like any other human being. The next day at the ballpark, we called over to him, and he signed my jersey and my brother's t-shirt. My favorite experience by far. Bagwell was my favorite player before meeting him, but the way he treated me really made a big impression.

XPFO
01-19-2008, 06:04 PM
For many years I collected autographs at the ballpark and team hotels. These are the guys who pop to mind when I think of great guys to deal with in person:

Dikembe Mutombo...total class act, and surprisingly funny
Torii Hunter...talked for quite a while about my fantasy team
Juan Gonzalez...bought me a coffee at Starbucks
Jermaine O'Neal...will sign as many autos as you have
Paul Molitor...real nice down to earth guy
Tyron Lue...so hung over prior to morning shootaround, almost threw up on me, but still signed
Desagana Diop....Great guy..super nice
Richie Sexson
Rod Beck....offered to share a cab with me to the Skydome
Bo Outlaw
David Robinson
Sandy Alomar Jr
Mike Modano
Jason Terry...hilarious
Bob McAdoo...super great signed, adds MVP inscription and always willing to chat
Ed Sprague

The other side of the discussion inlcude:

Allen Iverson...far and away
Othella Harrington
Felipe Alou...total jerk...was walking to the Skydome carrying a 26'er of Rum in a brown paper bag (it was 10:00 in the morning)
Kevin Bacon...the actor and his wife...don't get me started
Alonzo Mourning...won't acknowledge a soul
Kevin Garnett...so many guys in his entourage, acted like he was king

Those are just some that jump to mind

AWA85
01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
My best expereince with any pro athlete has to be Mike Sweeney of the Royals. Although the guy gets a bad rep for all of his injuries he is an amazing guy. He was on a rehab assignment a year or two ago in Burlington Iowa, with the Burlington Bees (single A team) He was near an old barn/ batting cage and saw a few younger kids and 3 college guys which happened to be me and my buddies. He stopped what he was doing and came out and signed for everyone. When I got up there he talked with me about last time he was in Burlington, the future of the Royals and one of my favorite players Alex Gordon. He saw my girlfriend taking a picture of him signing and asked if I wanted a picture together of him and I. Put his arm around me and just proved to be one of the classiest guys I have ever met. The next day he set aside a couple of hours to do an autograph signing for any fans before the game and than treated his entire new teammates to a steak dinner.

I know Mike has battled many many injuries and sometimes gets nagged by Royals fans, but Mike Sweeney will far and away always stand out in my mind.

allstarsplus
01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Cal Ripken is great whether you are paying for the autograph or not. He talks to everyone seeking his autograph and will often break his own "rules" set for the signing and do a customized auto.

Roger Clemens is also great to deal with. Very engaging into discussions about items and let's you know that he collects too for his family and Charity.

Best at an out-of-town stadium was Shawn Green who signed multiple items and signed every item for every fan until the last one was signed.

Funnest autograph to try to get at the stadium was Mark McGwire who signed at every game while none of his teammates did.

Craziest to meet (not at a game) is Clinton Portis as you never know what he will say or what he will be wearing.

Best in a private signing is Mike Bacsik (gave up Bonds HR #715) who will take his time signing and tell some great stories.

Favorite young player is Ryan Zimmerman who signed autographs last year for my entire 13 year old baseball team. A class act and great kid.

Andrew

godwulf
01-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Among the nicest people I've ever met:

Matt Williams - One of the most hardnosed and serious ballplayers ever, and off the field a huge teddy bear. Treats everybody with total respect, and makes you feel like a friend.

Luis Gonzalez - Known in the Phoenix area as one of the most genuinely nice guys around town. Took the time to instruct me in how to get a baseball signed, when I was a novice autograph hound.

Mike Morgan - Will talk a blue streak about whatever pops into his mind, while he's putting 57 lines of inscription around his signature - everything but a weather report. Highly entertaining.

Steve Finley - Just like a big kid at signings, loving every minute. Loves to see his old bats.

Bobby Witt - Saw him shortly after his retirement, after the '01 season, and had a nice conversation. Put a nice signature on one of my favorite game-used items - a beautiful, dark-green A's jersey from 1994 - and gave me a run-down on all the stuff the docs had done to keep his worn-out body in one piece.

Miguel Batista - A very sweet, funny guy. Used to flirt with my teenaged daughter all the time, starting when she was twelve. Hide your women, but a nice guy, nonetheless.

Bob Brenly, Conor Jackson, David Dellucci, Greg Colbrunn, Jim Traber...all great.

joelsabi
01-19-2008, 06:44 PM
My best experience was meeting Mohammed Ali at a Show in Pomona. It is the same show I meet Alex Rodriguez for the first time. Although he was difficult to understand because of his past heart attack, he just made everyone feel comfortable and brought energy to the room. I took the package that allowed photos and autograph. In one pose he threw a pose as if he was gonna uppercut me. He was really funny. A real character. He is The Greatest.

BaseballGM
01-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Best ever for me is Frank Hondo Howard. He will hold court and tell stories and treat each person like a personal friend. Class act all the way. Brooks Robinson is up there as well.
My modern day player is Roberto Alomar who I asked for an autograph in Detroit when he got his 2000th hit. He was on the team bus and told me to come back tomorrow - (he had gotten beaned in the head that night). Sure enough, he saw me in the crowd the next day and waved me down to the front run to sign for me.

dcgreg25
01-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I met Sandy Alomar at a signing in the late 90's. He was so incredibly nice and talked to me and my son for a while and also signed several items. He was so appreciative of everyone who came out that it made the experience that much better- a real class act!!!

Yankwood
01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
About 10 years ago, Yogi Berra signed a bat for me. When I thanked him, and I'll never forget it, he actually said, "No,---thank YOU". You don't get that from the modern day celebrity.

skyking26
01-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Among the good guys would be Dave Kingman in 92 when I met him the first time, and many times after that. He has always been very cordial with my wife and children as well.

Honorable mention good guys:
*Frank Howard. Have not met another gem like this other than B. Robby maybe.

*Lance Parrish
*Bert Blyleven
*Darrel Evans
*Sparky Anderson
*Virgil Trucks

earlywynnfan
01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of meeting Buck O'Neil will tell you he was one of the greatest human beings ever.

Bert Blyleven: Drove to Pittsburgh to get him; when I told him I came down from Cleveland, since he never comes here, he gave me a sincere thanks and took my ball and proceeded to FILL it with stats.

Bill Madlock: Sat and flirted with my wife while signing my ball (in a nice way, not creepy or rude or anything). The best was her walking away afterward having absolutely no clue who he was.

Met Chuck Bednarik and his spider-web fingers in an outdoor setting. Not only did he sign for everyone, he was downright hysterical as he held court. I'll never forget him saying how Deion Sanders couldn't tackle his wife, let alone a real football player.

Ken

bubbrubb25
01-20-2008, 12:57 AM
This year at Citizens Bank Park, Phillies vs. Nationals

Jonathan Albaladejo came over by third base and signed autographs and chatted with the fans really nice guy. Before BP was over I went down to the visiting dugout and when Jonathan came in from BP I asked him for his hat and he tossed it up to me.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/GAME%20USED/Picture5229.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/GAME%20USED/Picture5230.jpg

bigtruck260
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
My Nice list:

Willie McGee - the humblest human to walk the earth. Great smile.

John Rodriguez - Talked boxing for 15 minutes.

Issac Bruce - Was at a Christian marraige seminar sitting with his wife next to me and my wife. The Rams were terrible this year, but he was very cordial to us, and acted like a regular joe. Nice for a guy of his status - especially when his team is so terrible.

John Burkett - Had a nice experience at Busch. I saw him walk past a crowd of autograph seekers during his rookie season...and right to a group of Boy Scouts. He spent 15 minutes with them on the field pre-game.

Will Clark - GREAT with fans at home, and while on the road. I saw him with the Giants...signing TONS - even tossed some balls into the UD. When he was in STL - no different. A real classy guy.

Evander Holyfield - met twice, very polite - and by himself both times.

Adam Wainwright - Came into work one day and nobody knew who he was except me, but they stared anyway (he is 6'7"). We had our children a few weeks apart, and we BS'ed about being new daddies. Then he was nails in the series...awesome.

Dave

frikativ54
01-20-2008, 04:45 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/GAME%20USED/Picture5229.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/GAME%20USED/Picture5230.jpg

I don't even know who that is, but that's really nice. How do you get players to just give you BP-used items? Wish I knew your trick.

allstarsplus
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
In my previous Post, I mostly described my favorite signors. I would be remiss if I didn't re-post my story about the best gift I received at the ballpark from Brian Schneider (Washington Nationals 2007) who handed me a signed game used chest protector.

I didn't ask for it and it was very much a great surprise as I have collected Brian's gear in the past!

Andrew

davetiki
01-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I have had the pleasure of meeting Chone Figgins a few times and everytime he has been great. One time we joked around that I could beat him in a foot race (which could never happen) and he said that we should give it a try as he looked faster on TV then in real life. He is always humble and has a smile for everyone.

Dave Z

bubbrubb25
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't even know who that is, but that's really nice. How do you get players to just give you BP-used items? Wish I knew your trick.
He hasnt been in the majors long when I got the hat he was in the majors like 7 days so its likely his first mlb hat. I just ask for stuff, allstarsplus that chest protector is awsome! Is it for sale?

harpt
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
In '99 a buddy and I headed out to Cooperstown to see Robin Yount get inducted. We had a 2-hour delay in Cincinnatti. Heading over to the waiting area we noticed a familiar face...Robin Yount.

Our intent was to just say hi quickly and get a ball signed. He was with his family, and we didn't want to bug him...But he kept asking us questions: "What part of Wisconsin are you from? Where are you staying in Cooperstown?" etc. The next thing we knew, we were boarding plane having talked with Robin through the entire delay.

About two months later the Brewers were honoring Yount at a game. They had a presentation, and fans received HOF posters. After the game I was by the clubhouse waiting for a friend who was pitching for the crew at the time. Sure enough, there was Robin. Since I had the poster, I figured I'd ask him to sign it. As he was signing it he says "so how did that campground outside of Cooperstown work out?"

He was always one of my heroes, but this really solidified it for me. What a great guy.

allstarsplus
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
allstarsplus that chest protector is awsome! Is it for sale?

This one isn't for sale as afterwards I photomatched it to the one Brian wore while the catcher in the game when Bonds hit #715 so it has some real historical significance. I then got Mike Bacsik to autograph and inscribe it.

thomecollector
01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
To this day, I have to say that Jim Thome is probably the best player I have dealt with. I have talk with him numerous times. He has always been the same. I ran into him twice last Saturday while in Peoria. Shot the shizit with me for about 10-15 minutes each time. Wasn't prepared with camera, or something to sign either time.:( But it was still worth it. Here's an older pic of me with him from 1999. This one went in Beckett Baseball Monthly.:D

allstarsplus
01-22-2008, 04:21 AM
Among the good guys would be Dave Kingman in 92 when I met him the first time, and many times after that. He has always been very cordial with my wife and children as well.

*Bert Blyleven

Was Bert wearing this shirt when you met him?

skyking26
01-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Nice picture. No, I met Bert at a local show a few years ago. He did well with the fans. Very nice man...should be in Hall in my opinion and I think he will be one day.

mvandor
01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
To this day, I have to say that Jim Thome is probably the best player I have dealt with. I have talk with him numerous times. He has always been the same. I ran into him twice last Saturday while in Peoria. Shot the shizit with me for about 10-15 minutes each time. Wasn't prepared with camera, or something to sign either time.:( But it was still worth it. Here's an older pic of me with him from 1999. This one went in Beckett Baseball Monthly.:D

Wow, you're Ryan O'Neal!!! :D

plt4008usmc
01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
The best experience I can remember is when the nationals were still in montreal, my cousins and I went to see them play. Well we got there early enough to get autos, well it was fanfest or something becasue we were able to go on the field to get autos. After everyone was told to go back to the stands my cousins and I tried to get the attention of three players walking by. One of them came over and was very nice to us and signed what we had, while the other two just stood and watched. The player that came over to sign was Javier Vasquez. Another Expos dealing was with Michael Barrett My cousin and I were the only ones in the area and we asked for his auto he came over and signed and even talked to us for a while.
Mike Timlin was really nice when I went to my first red sox game. He came over and signed down the line for everyone and would talk to you if you asked him a question. Great guy!!!
My best Experience though are with minor leaguers. They are usually some of the nicest guys that you can meet.

AWA85
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Gotta give it to those guys that go down the whole first base or third base wall signing for everyone. David Weathers and Bill Bray signed for every fan along the line before the game at Great American Ballpark. Really have to appreciate the time some players do give to the fans.

godwulf
01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
After reading the latest posts in the "Worst Experience Dealing with an Athlete" thread, I got depressed and decided to give this one a bump.

This very good experience involved not only an athlete, but a well-known broadcaster, as well.

One evening in '02, I took one of Jim Traber's old bats to the park, hoping to get it signed. Trabes was then doing the color on the radio side for the Diamondbacks. To ensure that I would have no trouble getting it in - this was less than a year after 9-11, and security was insane - I went so far as to contact the Event Coordinator and get the phone number he'd be at before the game, so I could have Security call him if it came to that. As it turned out, I walked right through the gate with this mailing tube in my hand, and nobody so much as took a break from searching little old ladies' purses to ask me what it was. :rolleyes:

Before the game, which happened to be against Houston, I ran into Thom Brenneman, the play-by-play t.v. guy - now broadcasting with his dad, Marty, in Cincinnatti, I hear - and I showed him the Traber bat and mentioned that I was going to try to get it signed that night.

The game went something like 14 innings, and didn't end till almost midnight. Exhausted and hoarse from screaming, I nevertheless went looking to see if I could find Traber before he left the ballpark. I knew that the broadcast booths were nearest the second deck, so I went there and got as close to the exiting crowds as possible, looking to spy him. The second deck at Chase Field is the "luxury suite" level, so only those with tickets for that level can walk around there, and I had to stay behind a rope, which was guarded by a couple of Sheriff's deputies, charged with keeping the riff-raff (like me) out.

After a couple of minutes, I was about to give it up and just go home, when I saw Thom Brenneman leaving, moving fast, and I shouted for him and held up the bat, saying, "I'm still trying to find Traber to get him to sign my bat!" He looked at me for a second, and said, "Really?" I must have been really tired at that point, because I don't even remember how I got onto the other side of the rope and past the deputies...and the next thing I know, Thom and I are speed-walking through the park, heading for the special elevator that goes up (or is it down?) to the broadcast booth level. On the way, he shakes my hand and says, "Hi, I'm Thom"...like I didn't know that. Guess he was tired, too.

Thom vouches for me with the elevator operator, and then we're walking through some executive office area, where we meet the GM, Joe Garagiola, Jr., coming the other way. The three of us share a brief laugh about the long, somewhat ugly, back-and-forth game we'd just watched - "Well...it was a win!", Joe Jr. said - and then Thom and I were outside the radio booth, where Trabes and Greg Schulte were just wrapping up their show.

Thom opens the door and has a word with the producer - a huge guy named Leo, who looks like he could be a bouncer in his spare time - and tells him that the guy out in the hall with the bat is okay...just waiting to get an autograph from Traber.

In a few minutes, Trabes comes out and shakes my hand - he's a much bigger guy than I'd thought, and his hands are enormous - and we talk about the bat some; it's a black Worth, with a sanded handle, and he says that he can't really date it, but that it's definitely one that he used, he could tell that. He put a really nice gold paint pen signature on it, and then somebody escorted me out.

A couple of things that still strike me, to this day, about this experience. First, I'm not now, nor was I then, a kid, or an attractive woman, or any other kind of individual whom one would think, under those circumstances, would have had the best chance of getting the attention of someone like Thom Brenneman, to help them get an autograph, on a hot July night after a 14 inning game. I was then, as I am now, just another 50-ish guy, and I honestly would not have blamed Thom, hearing his name called and looking over to see my sweaty, wild-eyed face, if he'd waved, avoided eye contact, and kept on walking.

Second, the DBacks - and Thom Brenneman - had to be on a plane to Philly in less that eight hours, following that game...and yet, he took the time to escort a fan he didn't know from Adam up to the radio booth, when he absolutely didn't have to, instead of thinking of himself or things he no doubt needed to do.

Sorry this is such a long post...but I, for one, think it's a pretty cool story. Glad I was there for it.

BernBabyBern
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
There is a story behind the picture. It's pretty funny.
Here it is:
The day before this picture was taken I was just getting to the hotel with my family to see the Yanks vs the Devil Rays the next day.
I had no clue the Yankees stayed there. I've been in Miami, FL now for 2 years. Originally from NY/NJ and was dying to see the Yanks play.
Anyway, pulling up into the valet. My wife noticed that Don Mattingly was there signing autographs for a mob of people outside of the hotel. I saw all the Yankee
t-shirts and put two and two together and realized that the Yankees were staying at this hotel. My wife said go, go there is your childhood favorite player. Go get his autograph. I jumped out of the truck and then glanced back to my truck and noticed it was rolling forward. I accidentally left the car in drive or neutral. I could have jumped back in since it was only rolling forward about 1 mile per hour towards another parked car. But, I saw my wife jump from the passenger side to the driver said. (No problem, right?)
I yelled brake, brake. But my wife hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and rammed into the parked car. I couldn't believe it. My wife was freaking out crying, my son in the back seat crying. It was chaos! Called the police but no violations were issued. It was an accident. In all this Don Mattingly steps away from the crowd and gets into his car that was there to take him to the stadium. I was crushed. I got no picture and no autograph and my car was wrecked. But looking on the bright side no one got hurt. Took me 2 hours to fall asleep that night. The next morning we got up early to check out since we were going to have breakfast with some old friends from NJ who had recently moved to Apollo Beach (near Tampa). And then we were going to the 1PM game and heading home to Miami after that. Went down to get the car and pack it up to go and I was all bummed out. When we got outside of the lobby my wife pinched me on the arm and side "look whose sitting there on the steps of the hotel". It was "Donnie Baseball" himself. I couldn't believe it. I asked him for a picture and an autograph. He even remembered that I had crashed my car the day before. What a nice guy. Best experience I've ever had with an athlete and it turned out to be my favorite baseball player of all time.
Oh, by the way. That's my son just behind me "Future Yankee Slugger".

gameusedbat.com
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Our funniest experience was at braves camp in orlando with greg maddux. It was lightning hot out and we had our shirts off and the camp was dead because it was still pretty early. Maddux was warming up next to smoltz in outfield and we were just kind of standing around and hanging out getting autographs. Out of nowhere maddux calls over to my friend "you need a belt with those pants boy?? We start laughing and respond yea greg only if you give us one of yours. Then we proceed to ask him if we should draft him on our fantasy team this year. And hes like hell no I wouldnt draft myself and he points to smoltz and says draft that guy. I think he signed one autograph that day and it was for us.

bigtruck260
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Here are a few more:

Gary "Sarge" Matthews:

I was sitting at a the bar of a local Japanese restaurant with no television. The only other person there was this older black gentleman - and we struck up a conversation about sports and baseball. I asked him if he was a Cards fan and he said "NO!" - he shrugged at me and said "SH#t man, I'm the hitting coach for the Chicago Cubs."

It didn't register. I laughed and said - lemme see your ID.

His response - "Why would I lie about something like that"?

Me - "OK - so who are you"?

Him "Gary Matthews"

Me - Sarge! (I loved him as a kid - though he was a Cub.) I told him a story about how I got kicked out of a little league game for throwing off my helmet the way he did after hitting a homer...

Him - "I only did that on base hits"...

We talked for at least an hour about his kid, the best players ever...and coaching Sammy Sosa on hitting.."everyone has holes sometimes".

He was not bothered by my chain smoking or Saki-talk. We got a little buzzed together as he waited for his drop dead gorgeous lady to arrive.
I never asked him for an autograph or a photo. It was just a neat experience. I had two witnesses too - whom I introduced him to - unfortunately, they are both hockey fans, and had no idea who Sarge was.:D

Not really an athlete per se, but still a fun time was meeting my childhood idol, Bill Dance - the bassmaster. My dad and I talked to him at a boat show, and he had us in stitches. I don't have many autographs left from my collection, but I still have Bill's personalized auto stashed somewhere.

uwmrules09
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
My best experience has to go along with my PC collection. Carlos Villanueva from the Milwaukee Brewers. He is a little known prospect for the Brewers that is one of their starters this season. Anyways last season I wanted to start collecting game used items and decided to pick a player from the Brewers so I chose Carlos since he is an up and comer and one of the nicest guys on the team. Whenever I was getting autographs before a game he would come over and sign for everyone there and even carry on a conversation. Well anyways he liked the 8x10s and stuff I had him sign and he agreed to trade me a pair of his cleats for some 8x10s and rookie cards and stuff. Throughout the season we would talk and I would show him his gu items I picked up which he always thought was sweet that someone was collecting them. We pretty much became friends. So at the last game of the season I asked him if he was giving out any of his gear since I had yet to get his shoes, he said we'll see with kind of a smirk on his face. So I watched the game and went down to get game used stuff after the game was over since Brewers players usually hand stuff out (its a madhouse down there), and needless to say I couldnt get close enough to get anything or to get Carlos' attention. So I left the stadium bummed and waited after the game for autographs. Well after most of the team had gone when he pulled up on a cart to his car and put all his luggage in and began to look around, I got his attention and he signaled me over to the parking lot where he game me his cleats like he promised and signed each one for me. He thanked me for the photos I game him and stuff saying that his family really loves them and he hoped I picked up more of his stuff during the offseason so he could see it next season. Anyways here are a picture of the cleats he game me too....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/raytownkid09/Villanuevacleats.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/raytownkid09/Villanuevacleats2.jpg

I have many other good stories too but nothing like this, its the first time I really became friends with a player.

Rob L
01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
One of the coolest encounters we had was with Troy Percival in 1998. My son, who was 4 at the time, had been emulating the Percival pitched since he was 2. We went to see him at a local signing and got there a little early. Percival pulled up with a guy from Mizuno and my son and I walked over by the car. My kid was star struck. Percy came over, talked with him and took a photo with him. About a six months later, my wife's grandmother showed the photo to a neighbor who was the head of player development for the Angels. He took the photo to Percy who looked at indicated that he remembered talking with us. He signed the photo also (not the copy shown here). As a side, McGwire hit HR #60 while we were driving to Percival signing.

In 2001, I was at the Big A with my son and 1 1/2 year old daughter, sitting in the row immediately above the bullpens. The Angels were playing the Blue Jays. In the late innings, Lance Painter got up to warmup. A s**tload of kids around us started badgering him to give them the ball. My daughter was sitting on my lap and my son was sitting quitely. After warming up, Painter looked up at us, pointed to my daughter and tossed us the ball. Even though we are Angels homers, we did root for Painter that inning.

Rob L

Dewey2007
01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
This was a very brief experience but still one of the best I've had. Here I was after a GS Warriors/LA Lakers game in Oakland getting disappointed by none other then Magic Johnson himself who had promised me his shoes after the game telling me he didn't have them anymore. When out of the blue James Worthy walks by, pulls his gamers out of his bag and just hands them to me as he heads for the team bus. I can't remember if I even got out a thank you I was so shocked and excited. Definitely nice of Big Game James to make a kids day!!

Tedw9
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Great stories everyone! Thank you for sharing. :)

I grew up a Red Sox fan, third generation, in small town America and my idol was Dwight Evans. When I played ball I tried to use his stance and I would spend DAYS throwing a baseball just to get my arm strong like his.

Fast forward 20 or so years and I find out Dwight was doing a signing down state. I drove almost 4 hours just to meet my childhood hero. I shared my story with the store owners and they were kind enough to put me near the front of the line and let me stay after the signing so I could spend a few moments with Dwight. He was everything I hoped he would be, and then some. What a super nice guy. It was nice to find out that Dwight was worthy of me looking up to as a kid. And I got to admit, standing there with him, I felt like I was 9 years old again! :D

A week or so after the signing, I sent him a letter telling him I was the guy who met him after the signing and I explained how much he meant to me as a kid growing up. I just wanted to thank him for being a positive role model for me and for being a good guy. I didn't ask or want anything, other than to convey my story and appreciation to him.

A couple of weeks later, I got a package in the mail from Dwight! He sent me a signed and inscribed photo and a note thanking me for such a nice letter. He said it meant a lot to him and thanked me for being a fan. Needless to say, that photo is one of my prized possessions.

No, it's not game used or super valuable, but to me, it's priceless. :)

davetiki
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Rob,

Percy is a very cool guy for sure. I met him at Angel Stadium in 05 at game 5 of the ALDS against the Yanks. It was the first year of his retirement and he was hanging out in left field in front of the bullpen drinking a beer getting ready for the game. What was special, is that the stadium lady who worked that area in front of the bullpen had known Percy for years and years. She was so happy to see him and for the first time ever she got to ask him for his autograph and take a picture with him. I guess there is a policy against that for the players and employees. She is probably the only who respected that policy I guess. He hugged her and gave her the auto and took a picture with her. She was so touched and happy afterwords that she had tears in her eyes. Then Percy got spotted and he was swarmed for his autograph and he signed them all. I didn't ask him though. Instead I bought him a beer.

Dave Z

godwulf
01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
In 2002, I was at a signing by David Dellucci, then a utility outfielder for the Diamondbacks, and as I was waiting outside the card shop for my turn in line, the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen walked by. Every male head turned, and jaws dropped to the ground in unison - it was actually pretty funny.

Turns out that it was Gena Lee Nolin, of Baywatch and Sheena fame, and she was going out with Dellucci at the time.

She signed a baseball for me - "Love you always, Gena Lee Nolin, XXOO".

Oh, yeah...Dellucci was nice, too. :rolleyes:

stlbats
01-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a great story that isnt about a player, but an umpire. I was about 17 at the time and went to Arlington, TX to the '95 Allstar game. After the Allstar game, my buddy and I were playing catch in the hotel parking lot when a car pulled up and parked. This man got out and starting talking to us. After a while he told us he was the plate umpire for the allstar game that night. It was Durwood Merrill. He went back to his car and pulled out several new and used allstar game balls and gave them to us. We had him sign one. After I got home, I looked him up and sent him a nice letter, not asking for anything but I did include my address and phone #. About a week later I got a phone call from him. We talked several times on the phone and the next year met him in Baltimore where he left us tickets to all 5 games he was working. (right behing the plate) I spoke with him several times over the years. What a great guy. Sadly Durwood passed away a few years ago. What a great guy and person. He was a big league ump for 25 years. That signed ball is one I will always have.

Jason

jshortt
01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
I have had several great experiences with guys like David Wright, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence, Jeff Keppinger, Gilbert Arenas, and Jermaine O'Neal, but hands down, my best player experience was with Josh Hamilton.

I had been following him since Tampa, and through all his troubles, so when the Reds took him in the Rule V last year, I was ecstatic (since I'm a season ticket holder)!! Once I found out what number he was assigned, I had an authentic jersey made up, and went down early on Opening Day to show him.

Since it was at an odd time of the afternoon, neither team took BP, but Josh was out taking practice cuts and shagging balls, so I walked over by the dugout to wait for him to finish. As he was coming off the field, I yelled "Hey Josh!! What do you think?," and turned to show him the back of the jersey. His eyes nearly bugged out of his head, he pointed his bat at me, and he shouted "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT, RIGHT THERE!" He came over, signed a ball for me, and while he was signing for others, chatted me up about the jersey, where I got it, etc. Jokingly, he told me to get all my friends to get Hamilton jerseys, too. I told him I would, and then, jokingly, told him to keep me in mind if he cracked any bats in the near future. We both laughed, and as I turned to leave, he yelled after me "Hey man, would you mind sticking around for a bit? My family is coming down the steps, and I want them to see your shirt." Shocked, I told him no problem, and hung out. A few minutes later, his family came down, he talked to them and then pointed to me. His family went nuts. I ended up talking with them for another half-hour, and even taking pics with them.

From that point on, Josh and I talked just about every game. I started making supportive signs for him, which always made him laugh. One night in mid-May, I had seats right behind home plate. Josh saw me during BP, and came over to chat. As he was leaving, he told me to hang on, and that he would be right back. He comes back carrying a bat, and hands it to me. To this day, I'm not sure what I said, but it was something to the effect of "@#$!, seriously?" His response was "Hell yeah. Oh, and that's the bat I hit 2 homers with against the Rockies." (his first-ever multi-homer game) It was a cherry colored CTG (which to my knowledge, is the only one of that kind he ever used), which he signed and inscribed "To Josh, Thanks for the Support." Needless to say, I never asked him for another autograph.

From then on, he always went out of his way to talk to me, no matter where we were, and we kind of became friends. On one of his injury rehab assignments in Louisville, he came out, saw me there, came to the rail, and talked to me for 45 minutes during pregame. I was soooo disappointed when the Reds made the decision to trade him, but Rangers fans, you have a class act in Josh. I've never seen him turn down an autograph (though I've seen some that he should have), and he is truly one of the nicest guys in the game.

Sorry for the long post,
Josh

bubbrubb25
01-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I have had several great experiences with guys like David Wright, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence, Jeff Keppinger, Gilbert Arenas, and Jermaine O'Neal, but hands down, my best player experience was with Josh Hamilton.

I had been following him since Tampa, and through all his troubles, so when the Reds took him in the Rule V last year, I was ecstatic (since I'm a season ticket holder)!! Once I found out what number he was assigned, I had an authentic jersey made up, and went down early on Opening Day to show him.

Since it was at an odd time of the afternoon, neither team took BP, but Josh was out taking practice cuts and shagging balls, so I walked over by the dugout to wait for him to finish. As he was coming off the field, I yelled "Hey Josh!! What do you think?," and turned to show him the back of the jersey. His eyes nearly bugged out of his head, he pointed his bat at me, and he shouted "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT, RIGHT THERE!" He came over, signed a ball for me, and while he was signing for others, chatted me up about the jersey, where I got it, etc. Jokingly, he told me to get all my friends to get Hamilton jerseys, too. I told him I would, and then, jokingly, told him to keep me in mind if he cracked any bats in the near future. We both laughed, and as I turned to leave, he yelled after me "Hey man, would you mind sticking around for a bit? My family is coming down the steps, and I want them to see your shirt." Shocked, I told him no problem, and hung out. A few minutes later, his family came down, he talked to them and then pointed to me. His family went nuts. I ended up talking with them for another half-hour, and even taking pics with them.

From that point on, Josh and I talked just about every game. I started making supportive signs for him, which always made him laugh. One night in mid-May, I had seats right behind home plate. Josh saw me during BP, and came over to chat. As he was leaving, he told me to hang on, and that he would be right back. He comes back carrying a bat, and hands it to me. To this day, I'm not sure what I said, but it was something to the effect of "@#$!, seriously?" His response was "Hell yeah. Oh, and that's the bat I hit 2 homers with against the Rockies." (his first-ever multi-homer game) It was a cherry colored CTG (which to my knowledge, is the only one of that kind he ever used), which he signed and inscribed "To Josh, Thanks for the Support." Needless to say, I never asked him for another autograph.

From then on, he always went out of his way to talk to me, no matter where we were, and we kind of became friends. On one of his injury rehab assignments in Louisville, he came out, saw me there, came to the rail, and talked to me for 45 minutes during pregame. I was soooo disappointed when the Reds made the decision to trade him, but Rangers fans, you have a class act in Josh. I've never seen him turn down an autograph (though I've seen some that he should have), and he is truly one of the nicest guys in the game.

Sorry for the long post,
JoshGreat story! Do you have a pic of the bat?

Dewey2007
01-27-2008, 12:13 AM
I have one other experience I thought I'd share on the thread after reading about Josh Hamilton who has had is share of problems. Former NBA player Isaiah "J.R." Rider is a friend of mine who I know from my hometown of Alameda, CA. I once went to a Timberwolves game when I was in Minnesota for work and decided I'd say hi before the game. We chatted for a bit and then after the game he got me a family pass to come back into the lockerroom area. Got to meet a few of the players then we hung out for a little while after the game. This was all totally unexpected and was a nice gesture on his part. The funny part was as we were driving around he told me to look in the backseat of his car and there was his NBA Slam Dunk Championship trophy just sitting there. Now that would be a nice piece of memorabilia to have for the collection.

Anyhow, despite his on and off the court problems I just got to say that J.R. is a really nice guy who I hope gets his life in order. It's funny I never asked him for any game used stuff but have recently purchased a couple of his jerseys for keepsakes. Gotta rep the hometown guys!!

cjclong
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
We were attending a Texas Rangers function during Pudge Rodriguez's last season in Texas. It was pretty clear then the Rangers wouldn't be bringing him back. He came in and sat down and was signing autographs and having his picture taken. My wife is a big fan of his and we went through the line and got an autograph and took her picture with him. After we went through the line I told her that you've had your picture taken with him before and I never have. So we got back in line. When we reached him I said we were back because I had never had my picture taken with him and my wife had. He was happy to have our picture taken together. Then he turned to my wife and said, "Would you like another picture?" And I took another picture of them. He had a lot of people lined up and yet he was very gracious in taking his time with us twice. Its really rare for an athlete to ask someone if they would like a second picture when they have already taken one. I think he could tell we really were fans of his and he knew the Rangers wouldn't bring him back and that was his way of saying goodbye.

TFig27
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
We were attending a Texas Rangers function during Pudge Rodriguez's last season in Texas. It was pretty clear then the Rangers wouldn't be bringing him back. He came in and sat down and was signing autographs and having his picture taken. My wife is a big fan of his and we went through the line and got an autograph and took her picture with him. After we went through the line I told her that you've had your picture taken with him before and I never have. So we got back in line. When we reached him I said we were back because I had never had my picture taken with him and my wife had. He was happy to have our picture taken together. Then he turned to my wife and said, "Would you like another picture?" And I took another picture of them. He had a lot of people lined up and yet he was very gracious in taking his time with us twice. Its really rare for an athlete to ask someone if they would like a second picture when they have already taken one. I think he could tell we really were fans of his and he knew the Rangers wouldn't bring him back and that was his way of saying goodbye.

or, she is good looking

AWA85
01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Jeff you were right on about Jack Clark, met him this week at a signing and he was a great guy. Offered to do a picture, signed my bat with THE RIPPER and 340 HRs on it. Nice to see the older guys still care about the fans and just showing up for the money.

mvandor
01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Jeff you were right on about Jack Clark, met him this week at a signing and he was a great guy. Offered to do a picture, signed my bat with THE RIPPER and 340 HRs on it. Nice to see the older guys still care about the fans and just showing up for the money.

Odd, I recall the guy being a class A jerk when he played. He couldn't even get along with Tony Gwynn when he was with the Pads here in SD, and that's saying something. :)

skyking26
01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Odd, I recall the guy being a class A jerk when he played. He couldn't even get along with Tony Gwynn when he was with the Pads here in SD, and that's saying something. :)
I have seen many turn on the charm when money is involved...

jshortt
01-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Great story! Do you have a pic of the bat?

Ask and you shall receive!

AWA85
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, nice Hamilton bat. Pretty cool story to go with the bat by the way.

Fraudfinder!!
02-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I actually have two GREAT experiences, one was a pleasant suprise. That would be Ted Williams. I had met Mr. Williams as a kid and he was not the most pleasant person, but that is a story for another day (although he did give me his autograugh that time). The great experience was in the year 2000 (I believe) and George Bush Jr. was in a very tight race with John McCain in the New Hampshire Primary. Williams was very sick at the time but flew up from Florida to give a speech for Bush. Prior to the speech my wife and I were able to spend some time in Ted's hotel room and meet and talk with him. The people in the room were amazing also, HOFers etc. It was a small hotel room and not the suite that I would have pictured. Ted was extremly pleasant to both of us asking me questions on my job and flirting with my wife. He was in a wheelchair and I believe this was his second to last public appearance before he died. He was in such great spirits, laughing etc, it will be how I always remember him.

The other great experience was with Luis Tiant. Tiant was in my hometown on vacation when he ran into a couple of my coworkers. The coworkers asked Tiant if they wanted to meet his "number 1" fan" (me). Tiant said sure and he actually drove 6 miles to my office and meet with me for an hour in my office! Tiant was such a nice guy and I could not believe I was talking to one of my boyhood heroes. His wife was just as pleasant. Of course I gave him my card and said if he ever wanted to sell any of his old game used uniforms etc.....He did say he had some of his old gloves but he did not save a lot of his stuff. He autographed one of his cigars for me and after an hour of talking about his major league career he left. A great experience...

lambertisgod58
07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
If I had to pick the BEST experience dealing with an athlete I'd have to say it was Jack Lambert. When I was 18, I got an tattoo of Lambert's 1984 Sports Illustrated cover on my back. You can actually see it at this link: http://www.lambert58.com/Jackedup/Jackedup.html Anyways, I met a dealer in Cleveland who lives close to me in Central NY. After talkin' to him for a while he got me in the back when Lambert was signing mail order stuff for all the vendors. He wasn't very talkative. Then I decided I drove over 6hrs to meet him and I had nothing to lose. So I showed him my tattoo. He loved it. He told me I was "f**kin' nuts" when he found out it was real. Anyways, I've had the priviledge of seeing Lambert multiple times. But everytime he sees my son, he picks him up and talks to him. Which means the most of anything he's done.

4cuda9er
07-06-2008, 05:30 PM
First of all, I would like to say that I have had great experiences with several baseball, and football players in my twenty or so years of collecting., but I wanted to share this one because I doubt if there will be many or maybe any posts, on this player. It is Barry Bonds. I had been sitting in my kayak for approx. 3 yrs. at McCovey Cove, hoping to get one of his Homerun Balls. While in the Cove I met several friends, and we formed the Bonds Navy, which consisted of Kayakers who were regulars. Then I was fortunate enough to get Barry's 738 HR ball. I then wanted to see if I could get it signed. On three occasions I stood near the players entrance gate at the stadium, holding my framed Ball, and wearing the Bonds Navy sweatshirt... When Bonds would arrive, he would look at me, and the ball, wave, and continue to his parking stall under the stadium. The regular auto hounds came up to me and stated that Bonds never stop to sign, and that I had no chance to get the ball signed. The next day, two of my Bonds Navy friends, and myself stood at the entrance wearing our sweatshirts, and held up signs thanking Bonds for the HR splashes we had retrieved. Bonds came driving pass us, waved and said " So, you are the guys getting all my HR’s in the cove." He then drove pass us and into the security gate, and under the stadium... Then while standing by myself near the security gate about to leave to put my kayak in the water for batting practice, Bonds walked into the security area, pointed at me, and said "give me your ball" He then signed the HR ball on the sweet spot with the inscription "God Bless" He then signed my two friends HR balls for them, and several other who he had normally passed up. It was a very memorable day for us.

elbooman
07-09-2008, 11:48 PM
My story was with Drew Gooden. About 3 years ago during the summer i was with my best friend and his family in their car driving around, and at a red light 4 harley davidson motorcycles pull up next to us and me and my friend immediately noticed that 1 of them was Drew Gooden. So we rolled down the windows and said hey to him and he was so cool and so nice. I collect game worn shoes so i asked him next time he came down to play in Miami if he could give me his shoes and he said sure no problem. The next year after the Cavs game i somehow snuck myslef to postgame where all the players come out after the game. After waiting about 20 mins he came out and i confronted him. He immediately recognized me after i told him that i was the boy who asked him for the shoes during the summer and he was so cool. I asked him if he could ship a pair to my house and he said yeah for sure and even asked what my name was. About 3 weeks later, the shoes came game worn signed to me. Even though he is not the greatest player, its a great story and he is such a cool dude.

ps. - Jason Kidd also sent me his shoes when i gave him my address once after the game. could not believe that either.

jays78
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi All,

I love reading through the older thread with worst experiences meeting an athlete, thought we should start a specific one for the best experiences.

My BEST happened this past Wednesday. Hulk Hogan was on his media tour for his new book in Toronto, and I had got tickets to the CBC latenight show "The Hour" that he was appearing on. As it turned out, Mark Messier was also on the show.

Anyway, the studio audience there is fairly small, I'd say 50-75 people, Hulk did the interview and was leaving the stage (my wife and I were in the front row, right in front of the steps that lead to the stage, Hulk comes down and I held out his new book with Sharpie asking him to sign, and he walked right past and out of the studio....I was dejected, but figured that hey, he can't possibly stop for everyone.

Little did I know that in a few minutes they were going to be filiming a stunt for their new years show where George Strombolopolus the host runs and jumps off the stage while the Hulk makes it look like he's going to hit him with a folding chair, so Hulk comes back in, does 2 takes of this (right in front of us) and I held out the book again, this time he came right over to us and even personalized the auto to me, I stood up and asked if he would let me have my photo with him, which he said sure or something like that (it's a bit of a blur to me, I was so excited).

I was the only one he signed for, he made this 31 year old feel like an 8 year old all over again! Once he did the auto and my wife took the photo, he looked at me and said "Is that ok, brother?" .....it was so AWESOME! I was the only one in the audience that got to meet him.

JasonBanz
12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I have 2 good meetings. Back in May, our local mall had 3 Steelers, present and current signing autographs. The 3 were Jack Lambert, Mike Merriwether, and Ryan Clark. Jack Lambert stayed in a corner and signed, he didn't seem very personable at all. Mike Merriwether was a real nice guy. He ended walking around the mall later. He said he was shopping for his wife. The best one was Ryan Clark. He was an awesome guy to talk to. He was the one that landed the huge hit on Willis McGahee in the AFC Championship game this past year. After my wife got a picture taken with him, I told him I wanted to shake the hand of the man that destryoed Willis McGahee. He laughed and shook my hand. I told him I was a Dolphins fan, and my wife said, can you believe I married this. He laughed and said you can't help the ones you love. Overall an awesome guy.

In October I went to Miami for a game. We drove around to the Dolphins headquarters. While in the front lobby looking at a bunch of the game used jerseys, Dolphins cornerback Will Allen came walking through the front door. He was on this phone but shook my hand anyway. I was just happy he didn't totally ignore me. That meeting made my whole weekend!

MichaelofSF
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13683&highlight=experience+athlete

platinum1
12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I Daughter just met Minnie Minoso today.
He proposed to her with his 2005 World Series ring. ;)
She had a blast

sox83cubs84
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
jays78:

I met the Hulkster at the height of his then-WWF popularity. We stood next to each other on an airport traffic island waiting for hotel vans to pick us up for St. Louis based events ( a card show, in my case). I didn't ask him to sign, but we chatted for a few minutes...he was excellent.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Chris78
12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
The experience I was most impressed with (a good experience, although not a conversation with the athlete) dealing with an athlete was back in July 2007 when Steve Carlton was signing autographs at a Lakewood Blueclaws baseball game. I was about 10-15th in line and got his autograph within 10 minutes of him signing, but the line wrapped around the stadium and into the grass area in the outfield. He signed for everyone and it was well over 3 hours. The game lasted about 3 hours so it was a fairly long game and when I left he still had about 50 people to sign for. He signed for those people even after the game was over which is very impressive. I did go back to look at him after the game and you could tell he was very exhausted. By the way, he did sign it for me with his HOF 94 as well and others I saw got the same. The autograph was free.

Chris

MJB14
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Fortunately I've had quite a few exceptional experiences meeting various athletes over the years, but there's one that sticks out more than others. Every year my dad would take a few of my friends and me out of school for the day to attend the inductions at the Basketball HOF. This was before they turned it into the impersonal event that it is today. You could walk up and interact with all in attendance no problem. This one particular experience took place in May of 1987. I was 11 at the time. It was the day Pistol Pete Maravich and Rick Barry were inducted. If anyone had ever been to the old HOF they had a room with a conveyer belt moving you through where you shoot at various styles and heights of hoops representing different parts of the country. After the ceremony we mingled with all the ex-players who were in attendance getting autographs and shaking hands then proceded to go shoot around in that room. A short time later Pistol Pete shows up. My friend and I were the only ones in that area at the time. He asks if we mind if he shoots with us. Imagine that, Pistol Pete asking a couple of 11 year olds if we mind? Of course we were excited that he joined us. He even got the staff to shut down the belt so we would be at a stand still shooting. He played "HORSE" with us even letting us win a time or two. After about 20 minutes went by Rick Barry was on the 2nd floor balcony above us looking down when Pete started coaxing him to join with "Ricky, come out and play" while spinning the ball in his hands. After a few minutes Barry showed up where they proceded to engage in a shooting competition while my friend and I gathered all the misses and makes to put back on the racks for them. At one point Pete made 20 consecutive jumpers from about 25 ft to put Barry away. It was an amazing display to witness and be a part of to say the least. A little while after Barry left and Pete was still shooting with us giving us pointers, his wife came in and literally had to drag him away saying they were going to be late for the HOF dinner. She apoligized to us and my dad but we understood entirely. On the way out Pete thanked us and handed my dad his phone # and said if we were ever out his way to give him a call and stop by. We couldn't believe it. Pistol Pete gave us his #. We never would've took him up on it cause we wouldn't want to impose, and sadly enough even if we wanted to we wouldn't have been able since he passed away less than 8 months later. One thing is for sure that was one experience that I will take to my grave with me.

Rob L
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I Daughter just met Minnie Minoso today.
He proposed to her with his 2005 World Series ring. ;)
She had a blast

Great photo. Tell your daughter to keep that ring safe!!:)

joelsabi
12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Best experience for me had been meeting Mohammed Ali at a show in Pasadena CA in 1996. It was the same autograph show that I went to see Alex Rodriguez. I got a ticket for Ali and you get to spend time with him and pose for photos with him. he faked a cross and threw a jab right up to my chin and then just stopped and put on his game face for the camera. It was awesome. By this time, Ali was already showing some deterioration in his speech and his hand shook noticably when he signed his autograph. But his sense of humor and charisma showed thru and thru. My asthma doctor happens to live next door to him and told me he was a nice neighbor and that made me want to meet him. The next time i had a check up, i told my doctor that i have to agree and then some. I have met Heavyweight Joe Frazier and George Foreman too and they were awesome too. These were the fiercest guys on the planet at one time, pre Ultimate Fighting Champion times, but they are some of the nicest people i have meet anywhere too.

Does Ali do autograph shows anymore?

legaleagle92481
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh boy there are so many. I met Namath about 15 years ago and he was very nice, let me try on his Super Bowl ring, posed for pictures and added the inscriptions I requested for free to my mini helmet. I met the late Pee Wee Reese and he was very cordial and was not supposed to be adding inscriptions but I asked him to anyway and he did it for me. Sandy Koufax is a great guy he posed for pictures and signed my baseball and added his hall of fame year for free. To think he only charged $60 those were the days. Willis Reed was also great he talked basketball with me for several minutes and added two inscriptions for free. Cal Ripken was increadible he was signing at Yankee Stadium before a game during the streak season and signed everything everyone put in front of him and my brother dropped his pen onto the field and Cal bent over and picked it up. Michael Strahan is also great I met him twice very funny outgoing guy. Walt Frazier is another great signer and person to talk to. Believe it or not Eddie Murray was also great he was signing at a car dealership for free in his Mets days and he signed whatever I put in front of him with a smile. The best famous person I ever met though was ex-President Bill Clinton at a book signing, he shook my hand and chatted with me briefly which considering the long line was very nice of him.

legaleagle92481
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Best experience for me had been meeting Mohammed Ali at a show in Pasadena CA in 1996. It was the same autograph show that I went to see Alex Rodriguez. I got a ticket for Ali and you get to spend time with him and pose for photos with him. he faked a cross and threw a jab right up to my chin and then just stopped and put on his game face for the camera. It was awesome. By this time, Ali was already showing some deterioration in his speech and his hand shook noticably when he signed his autograph. But his sense of humor and charisma showed thru and thru. My asthma doctor happens to live next door to him and told me he was a nice neighbor and that made me want to meet him. The next time i had a check up, i told my doctor that i have to agree and then some. I have met Heavyweight Joe Frazier and George Foreman too and they were awesome too. These were the fiercest guys on the planet at one time, pre Ultimate Fighting Champion times, but they are some of the nicest people i have meet anywhere too.

Does Ali do autograph shows anymore?

Sadly his health prevents him from doing so but that might be changing as he is set to do his first private signing in years.

genius
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
mid-June 2009 at Muirfield in Scotland (famous British Open golf venue), I played in the foursome directly in front of Peyton, Eli, Cooper, and Archie Manning. They kept their distance, for example on the par-3 13th hole there was a bit of a backup and they didn't come up on to the tee. All looked like fine players though, Peyton particularly hit the ball a long way. The way it works at Muirfield, you play golf in the morning then head to the locker room and change into jacket and tie. I was in the locker room and heard the "voice" coming down the hallway, my instinct was to look up for a television because it sounded like a Peyton Manning commercial! But it was Peyton and Eli, Peyton was saying something along the lines of "hey Eli, come over here, I want you to meet so-and-so." Eli was kind of like "ok, sure!" Peyton brought him over and introduced him to that guy and it was exceedingly polite, in fact you could have pictured 18-year-old Peyton introducing 12-year-old Eli (or whatever their age difference is). Couldn't believe how much their actions and the way they conducted themselves matched their on-air personas. Also couldn't believe how tall they were!!! Peyton seemed like he was Shaquille O'Neal in that old building.

Once you change back into jacket and tie at Muirfield, you head to the dining room where you are seated at long banquet-type tables. Sure enough, I had the great fortune to sit right next to Eli, with Peyton directly facing Eli. Archie was next to Peyton and Cooper next to Eli. Peyton was the one who broke the ice, said "any birdies out there today?" Unbelievably gracious, completely sincere, totally "normal". Just a lot of laughs about the morning round and the rough, how great the course was, and how incredible the Muirfield lunch buffet is! Nobody even acknowledged "who they were" and it was amazing to think that just 4 months earlier the Giants had beaten the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Incredibly, about 3 seats down the other way was Sandy Lyle, former Masters and British Open champion. So, our table had two Super Bowl rings, two major championships, and one junior club championship!

That day at Muirfield was classic Scotland. "Sunny spells" with strong breezes and rain squalls coming through about once every three holes, the kind of rain that no rain gear or umbrella can defend you from. It was a very wet spring in Scotland and the rough was unplayable. You literally were lost if you missed the fairway, couldn't find your ball if it was more than a yard into the rough. I went through 18 balls in 36 holes that day and I play off of a 4 handicap.

In the morning round I occasionally glanced back at the Mannings to see them hit and besides noticing that they were all good players, didn't see anything out of the ordinary (as in, nobody was "hurt" or limping). We all went back out in the afternoon but I went off the first tee and the Mannings went off of 10 so I didn't get to see them much in the PM 18.

I was shocked a couple of weeks later to hear about Peyton Manning's knee surgery that sidelined him for the 2008 preseason. You may remember that it was a bit secretive how it happened and how severe it was. My theory has always been that he must have twisted his knee in the rough at Muirfield that afternoon after lunch!!! Below is a photo of a "path in the rough" from the very day showing just how incredibly deep it was.

Anyway, to finish up a long story, they were first-class gentlemen all the way and I am a Steeler fan (had the Steeler cap on out on the course that day too, as I normally do!). The only remotely negative thing I could say is that Archie had the scorecard out after the morning round and claimed that he shot 85!!! With the rough the way it was, and the wind, there's absolutely no way. He must have invoked the old "double bogey rule" where for handicap purposes you can't take more than a double on any hole (an old sandbagger's trick...play 17 holes even par and then take a 15 on the last hole to turn in an 85 and keep your handicap high)!

Anyone who wants to play Muirfield on a trip to Scotland just visit our website at www.hiddenlinks.com!

genius
12-16-2009, 12:02 AM
oops story below is June 2008, not '09!

ivo610
12-23-2009, 12:29 AM
These are all great stories. So far the manning one is my favorite.

I have been fortunate to meet a few HOFers and a few current stars, so I will post a few of the notable times that stand out.

Pete Rose - nice and very outgoing, told some dirty jokes and seemed to be in a great mood. I have heard horror stories of him but I guess I caught him on a good day.

Jim Brown - quiet. I asked him since he didnt have a reason to favor either one, who was a better coach in his eyes, landry or lombardi? He told me "a rose is a rose".

Joe Thomas - I was an awards ceremony for the Badgers his Junior year and after I was standing by the doors waiting for the people I went with to catch up. He must have been doing the same thing, and he struck up a conversation about the Packers and then about ice fishing. Another class act.

Reggie Bush - Saw him at an autograph signing and he was a jerk who ignored anyone, left his ipod on, and kept his sun glasses on. For people to pay alot of money to meet their hero you would expect a little more.

Paul Hornung - kind of creepy. He winked at my gf, lol.

Chris Paul - at the 2007 NBA all star game I got to hang out with chris and his family for about an hour. They were class acts and you have never seen two parents prouder. He was genuinely interested in what I had going on and what I was doing all weekend. Funny thing was the day before I knew I was going to meet him so I stopped by niketown at Caesars and bought some shoes of his, with his face on the side. When I grabbed them to ask him to sign them he asked me what they were, "well those are your shoes, your face is on the side" I responded with a slight laugh. "I have never seen these before" chris said. So it was pretty cool for me to have the first signed pair.

Jim Taylor - I ran into him in Cleveland over the summer and he stopped and talked to me for about 20 minutes about his era of football. Another nice guy.

murfsteve25
12-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Donnie Scott...was a catcher for the Rangers years back and recently was the manager for the Dayton Dragons. Still coaches in the Reds system.

I went to Dragons games religiously. Dad and I had 4 front row season tickets next to the dugout. Donnie was awesome to watch...reminded us of Bobby Cox.

So one summer I worked with my dad doing heating & air. After work, we'd usually head over to Wings Sports Bar to hang out a drink a beer. One day I decided not to go after work, and just head home. Dad called me later that evening. Said someone wants to talk to me. This familiar voice got on the phone and it was Donnie Scott. He said he was at Wings with my dad drinking and talking. Then he said that my dad told him i was a baseball player (played college ball at the time) and he started asking me how hard i throw, how fast i run, and how good of a hitter i am. Then he said he knew how big of a baseball fan i was so he wanted to show me some stuff at the Dragons stadium. He said he'd leave my dad and I tickets for a game.

Fast forward a few days. Dad and I went to will call at the stadium. No tickets were left for us. We explained the situation to the lady behind the window and she talked to her manager. They gave us cheap lawn tickets just to get in the stadium. We go down to the dugout and the usher was standing there (keeping fans away from bugging players). We explained that we were waiting on Donnie to come out cause he was expecting us. The usher believed us so we all stood there talking. Finally Donnie came out and apologized and said he forgot about the tickets and that he just got out of the shower. But he said after the game he wanted to show me the locker room and some other stuff. Dad and i were both pretty pumped for that. (At this time, Donnie was no longer the manager for the Dragons, he was just there as an assistant) Donnie told us to meet him at a certain place after the game.

Game was over and Dayton lost the game. We headed over to where Donnie told us to meet him. He comes out of the dugout and says he doesnt think it would be a good idea to do it today because Alonso Powell (managed the Dragons at that time) was pissed off about the loss and would rather do it another time. Ok cool. Uderstandable and nothing we can do about it. He then asked for my dads card and said he'll get ahold of us and try again.

End of the season came and past. Then the following spring training came and i went down to Sarasota to catch a Reds ST game. Watched the minor leaguers practice in the morning and saw Donnie heading over to another practice field. I called out to him and he came over. He remembered me and i asked him if he was gunna be in Dayton at all that season. He said he was gunna bea a traveling coach for that season and would be popping in and out of different cities. Asked how I was doing and we went back and forth a lil bit talking. Never heard from him again.

Doesnt sound too much like a "best experience" story but it was pretty cool talking to the manager of our home town team.

godwulf
09-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Thought I'd revive the BEST experience thread, to go along with the WORST experience thread.

Not a famous name - not likely anyone you've heard of unless you're into Diamondbacks prospects - but a couple of months ago, a minor leaguer named Grant Heyman was down to the Arizona League on a rehab assignment. I've got a few of his Phoenix bats, from high-A last year and ST this year, so I went out to Salt River to try to get them signed.

An hour before game time, I'm walking up the short road from the parking lot to the field, lugging the bats in a bag, and a tall guy in street clothes with a little fringe of beard is walking the other way. A car has stopped nearby, obviously his ride. We nod to each other, and then it hits me - it's Grant Heyman. I'm usually pretty bad with faces, but I'd been on his website earlier in the day and I was pretty sure it was him. He's only a couple of steps away as I turn and say, "Excuse me, are you Grant Heyman?" He stopped, turned, smiled and said, "As a matter of fact, I am".

Turns out that they'd given him the night off, so he was going out with friends. I asked if he had time to look at a few of his old bats and sign them for me, and he said, of course. He talked about the bats, put nice sigs on them for me, and we stood there chatting for several minutes. Just a super great encounter - the kind that puts you in a good mood for days or weeks.