PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Helmet

harpt
01-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Guys. I am just wondering what I have here. I picked up this Steelers helmet at a rummage sale.

Under the word Rawlings on the back it says
HNFL-N
Medium
U.S.A

On the back right there is a box with a helmet. The words inside that box are:
Meets NOC SAE
Standard

Under the box reads 6-80

I figure the helmet is from a youth league, though I wear a size 7 3/8 hat, and this helmet fits me well.

ironmanfan
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
it's a common kid's helmet (not for competiitve use); although not bad as a display piece

TFig27
01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Doesn't the nocsae mean it's approved for competitive use?

harpt
01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Doesn't the nocsae mean it's approved for competitive use?

That's what I thught too. It's not a plastic helmet like they sell at Wal-Mart or something.

DrJ
01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I agree that it's a nice display helmet, especially considering that real Steelers equipment is hard to come by. It's better than some of the knockoff Steeler helmets I've seen with the clear borders around the logo. A nice pickup for a rummage sale.

b.heagy
01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a Rawlings with that Noc-Sae that fits my 4 year old pretty snug(size Small). Also have one that has that logo along with See Warning Label inside, size medium with another decal on the back of the helmet that reads "Warning do not use this helmet to butt, ram or spear an opposing player. This is in violation of the fooball rules and such use can result in severe head or neck injuries, paralysis or death to you and possible injury to your opponent, There is a risk these injuries may also occur as a result of accidental contat without intent to butt, ram or spear. This helmet cannot prevent all such injuries". Another label inside "Warning Do Not clean or shine with any agent except plain soap and water. The prolonged use of other chemicals may cause serious shell degradaion".

Nathan
01-20-2008, 01:52 AM
The NOCSAE certification means that it's approved for competitive football use. In the case of the HNFL-N designation, it means that the helmet is approved for youth football.

Understand that as far as size goes, there isn't any difference between youth and adult helmets; the difference is that the adult helmet shell is thicker and more dense, while the youth is a bit thinner and not as dense. Basically, squeezing into a youth helmet doesn't mean you have a pea-sized head.

aeneas01
01-20-2008, 02:05 AM
it's a rawlings youth helmet - never worn at the college or pro level. lots of hnfl models in circulation (all teams) and they tend to fetch between $20-$40 at auction. here's one currently for sale on ebay - probably more valuable than yours (to most) given that it's a size large. keep an eye on it and see what it goes for; might give you an idea of both interest and value...

aeneas01
01-20-2008, 02:05 AM
here's the link....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-70s-Rawlings-HNFL-Steelers-Helmet-Large-Cool_W0QQitemZ270204427543QQihZ017QQcategoryZ21222 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

aeneas01
01-20-2008, 02:09 AM
here's another one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAWLINGS-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-2-BAR-HELMET-0-99c-NR-NFL_W0QQitemZ220193735361QQihZ012QQcategoryZ37725Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cohibasmoker
01-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I have attached some scans of an authentic Steelers suspension helmet. Although the helmet does not have player’s number(s) on the outside, it does not make a difference because numbers can be easily replicated. But, try and get an authentic Steelers suspension helmet to put those numbers on said helmet is something else.

Jim

cohibasmoker
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I have attached some scans of an authentic Steelers suspension helmet. Although the helmet does not have player’s number(s) on the outside, it does not make a difference because numbers can be easily replicated. But, try and get an authentic Steelers suspension helmet to put those numbers on said helmet is something else.

Jim

Dah, I forgot the scans