PDA

View Full Version : Tim Brown 'Game Used Helmet' on eBay

chrisjo33
01-19-2008, 02:40 AM
Hey guys :)

I have a question for the experts about a Tim Brown Raiders Game Used helmet that sold on eBay a few days ago, which can be seen at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150200990299

I have attached photos from the auction, showing the actual item. The description makes it sound like it is an authentic game used helmet worn by Tim Brown, however I just wanted to get some opinions as there were a few things that didn't seem to add up quite right:

1) I'm far from an expert, but the helmet in the photos appears to be a Riddell Pro Line Authentic Helmet. From all of the pics/game footage I have seen of Tim Brown, he always wore the Revolution style helmet (with the holes in the top) and a 4-point chin strap, with the inner strap clipping up towards the top of the helmet by the Raider shield.

2) The chin strap he wore always seemed to be the one with the holes in it, whereas the one in the eBay pics has no holes.

3) The eBay photo of the back of the helmet shows the big 'RAIDERS' lettering, but I have never seen this on the back of any of Tim Brown's helmets (no lettering whatsoever).

4) Same for the "Riddell" lettering on the front of the helmet. I have been through hundreds of TB photos and his helmets always had 'Raiders' on the front.

I have compared photos from gettyimages.com and even in Tim Brown's rookie year (1988) he wore the same Revolution style helmet, with the same 4-point chin strap. He also wore this type of helmet in practice. Does anyone know of any instance or have any evidence showing that Tim Brown may have worn the type of helmet pictured in the eBay photos?

There doesn't appear to be a COA that comes with the helmet and I'm certainly not doubting its authenticity, but I just wanted to pose the question to the experts to try and verify if this is in fact a genuine Tim Brown Game Used helmet, or just a slightly 'beat up' Pro Line with his autograph on it.

I thought about sending a message to the winning bidder, but didn't feel it was my place to interfere or get involved without getting an expert opion first. I value all of the opinions presented on these forums and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge within them! I would appreciate any feedback that you can give in this instance.

Many thanks!
Chris J.

mvandor
01-19-2008, 05:36 AM
That does look like an off the shelf Proline with a few decals added years ago to the rear bumper (decals look yellowed). Reviewing Getty Images, it appears he was a Schutt guy (not a Riddell) throughout his career, and the pics I looked at quickly the facemask was slightly different as well.

aeneas01
01-20-2008, 01:40 AM
mvandor's right - brown wore a schutt (pro-air) throughout his career with the raiders and bucs. lots of "over the counter" proline riddell helmets in circulation with sigs given that many folks that purchased these type of easily available helmets did so in order to have them signed.

and, fwiw, that helmet has made the rounds on ebay before although i'm certain it never fetched $500+...

chrisjo33
01-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks so much to the both of you for confirming my suspicions. The price also seemed a little too good to be true if it were in fact the real deal helmet. Once again, I appreciate the help and am happy to know that there are a wealth of experts here who can assist with any other such questions on game used items and memorabilia. Keep up the great work!

mvandor
01-21-2008, 02:29 AM
I emailed seller about the fact Brown wore a Schutt, no reply. Someone overpaid for this by at least $200.

chrisjo33
01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I contacted the buyer, and pointed him to this thread so he could see the discussion. He informed me that he had not yet paid for the item, as he was also a little skeptical, and e-mailed the seller about it... long story short, seller sent buyer a 'mutual agreement to withdraw transaction' and problem has been resolved.

Buyer also mentioned that the seller genuinely believed the helmet to be an authentic game used, and unknowingly listed it as such. Apparently he received several e-mails questioning its authenticity and said that he will be relisting it as an 'autographed full size helmet'. Crisis avoided thanks to you good fellows here.