PDA

View Full Version : How do you display your collections?

dcgreg25
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I have noticed that many of the display cases made for baseballs, etc. are of good quality but not necessarily conducive to displaying larger collections. I have a number of custom framed jerseys, etc. I am very curious as to how other members display their collections. I have a room in the basement with my collection but am looking for good ideas for cases, etc. that others have used for displays. (other than framing) I am wondering how you guys display your collections or if you know of any companies that sell larger displays or custom display cases. Thanks!

suave1477
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
dcgreg I am glad you brought this up because I have been trying to decide the same thing myself. How do you displpay multiple Jerseys in a small space/room with out taking up more space from the display itself.

Here is my answer and I will be testing it out shortly.

I am going to try to go to a glass place and see if I can have a custom built display where I can show several jerseys in it. I figure if you go direct to the source it would most like be a bit cheaper then having one custom made by a display case retailer. I have inquired many reputable display case sellers about this and I get all the same answer "We can make it for you...........(Followed by) it will cost you this much$$$$$":eek:

So I figured go direct to the source and see what happens.

I will get back to you on this.

kylehess10
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Are you looking to display just jerseys or other equipment too?

dcgreg25
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Looking to display jerseys, baseballs, basketballs,footballs, helmets, cleats, etc. I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

GoTigers
01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Alright... I've been thinking of this for a while.. has anyone tried this? Using a Gun Cabinet to display stuff? I'm not trying to be funny. I thought this may be cheaper than a specialty cabinet, and fit GU bats.. I've been trying to look into this, and there are a lot of different arrangements you can buy. You could use half of it for bats, the other half for jerseys or whatever. Has anyone tried this?

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Alright... I've been thinking of this for a while.. has anyone tried this? Using a Gun Cabinet to display stuff? I'm not trying to be funny. I thought this may be cheaper than a specialty cabinet, and fit GU bats.. I've been trying to look into this, and there are a lot of different arrangements you can buy. You could use half of it for bats, the other half for jerseys or whatever. Has anyone tried this?

interesting idea. where do you get gun cabinets. can you get them used and how much do they cost approximately

GoTigers
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
You can get one at a local gun store, or they have a large variety of them at local gun shows, that saves you shipping vs. online. I'd imagine you can get them used, but I haven't looked into that. Costs vary. With all the bells (interior lighting, Solid Oak, large size, etc) I think they get around 1,500 and up. I've seen decent ones for $500. I believe you'd get the best deal at a gun show though. A good thing is that they pretty much all lock, and some have locking drawers/ storage, which would be good for COA's and stuff your not displaying at the time.

joelsabi
01-17-2008, 09:06 PM
i saw a display of 6 jersey that conserved as much space as possible. 3 torso on the ground next to each other and three more torso on rods that were just above the other 3 torsos. dont know where to get torsos on rods tho.

http://www.websterdisplays.com/torsoforms.aspx

AWA85
01-17-2008, 10:35 PM
This is a problem I am starting to face, with the collection ever growing it makes it a challenge to find new ways to display everything. The old bookshelves just aren't cutting it anymore for me.

dcgreg25
01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
There has to be some custom cabinet makers out there or high-end collectors that display their items. Have any of you worked with a company that has nice (large) free-standing cases?

When I bought my home, we converted what was a small basketball court in the basement (app. 15x25 with 20 ft. ceilings) and I put a ring of framed jerseys around the top on the wall (not quite complete). The problem for me is I am running out of lower wall space and want to replace an air-hockey table (app 7 ft. long x 4 ft. wide) with a free-standing case, ideally something somewhat modern to hold a mix of equipment and potentially jerseys.

suave1477
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
The gun cabinet is a great idea but it takes up too much space. If you have a huge room to do it in then go for it. But I have a small room to put my stuff in so I need to conserve as much space as possible.

b.heagy
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
i always liked this idea http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-29-BALL-SPIRAL-GARMENT-CLOTHING-RACK-NEW_W0QQitemZ140198259532QQihZ004QQcategoryZ109431 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
good space saver, but to each their own.

dcgreg25
01-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I have been looking on-line and was looking for a cheaper alternative to this type of thing.(http://www.allendisplay.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=1140

or something free-standing for the middle of a larger room.

suave1477
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Well you can find a cheaper one then that. Don't you have any local cheap furniture stores in your neighborhood?
Go to one of those crappy furniture stores and look for wall units or entertainment units they are basically the same thing and will cost a couple of hundred instead of thousands.

One of the best ways to do it is go to a cheap furniture store or even ikea and pick up a wardrobe closet - they make for great display cases and usually cost $100 - $300.

joelsabi
01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
i am thinking of using the plans of kylehess10 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=918) to make a display case. has instructions in his website. anyone tried using his direction to make a case?

jonincleve
01-18-2008, 01:44 PM
here is how i display a lot of jerseys not in a case and i rotate just for something different. $10-15 at home depot for the shelving rack. cheap spacing saving alternative.

take care
john

jonincleve@sbcglobal.net