PDA

View Full Version : Jeter 2001 Jersey-photo Match?

hblakewolf
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
The following 2001 World Series Jeter game worn jersey is being offered on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330204426654&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 330204426654%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

With the fantastic photo matching capabilities of some of the Forum readers, can someone post a photo of Jeter wearing this particular jersey?

From the wear on the tags, it leads one to believe it was also worn during the regular 2001 season and then into the Series.

Any help is appreciated.

Howard wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Tay1038
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Howard,

Did a little research. This looks good. Matched to April 27, 2001 vs. Oakland. I tried Getty Images however they are missing a lot of dates. Not to many photos from 2001. Bummer :(

Hope this helps!

kingjammy24
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5040/jetesrn0.jpg

i wonder what exactly the steiner letter says.

rudy.

Tay1038
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Found another that I think matches up.

May 11, 2001 @ Baltimore

kingjammy24
01-15-2008, 06:04 PM
maybe an early season game-used jersey that had the world series patch sewn on in order for the jersey to be used as a world-series backup/set 2?

in any case, it didn't seem to find its way into the W.S.

it'd be interesting to see what the steiner letter states.

rudy.

Tay1038
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
maybe an early season game-used jersey that had the world series patch sewn on in order for the jersey to be used as a world-series backup/set 2?

rudy.

Hi Rudy,

Good Insight...

I too believe this was a jersey that Jeter wore for probably the majority of the regular season and possibly ALDS & ALCS. And then had the World Series patch added for the series.

HOWEVER....... I have heard and seen cases where players have worn more then one jersey in a game before. Maybe this is the case with this one? Jeter could have wore it for a few innings in one or maybe a few World Series games and just never had a photo snaped with him in it?

Hope this helps Howard..

larry bourget
02-05-2008, 06:27 PM

rudy.

Here's another Steiner Blunder for ya,.......i Won a Home Pinstripe 2001 #52 Gary Denbo with AL 100 Yr. patch, black armband, U.S. Flag on rear collar, from Steiner Auction site a few years back, they listed it in the Auction as 2001 World Series which i knew it was not, when i received the jersey with Steiner L.O.A.,.....The Steiner L.O.A. still stated it was World Series, and called it a Gary Dembo game used jersey. I even notified Steiner about the L.O.A. Error and asked for a replacement L.O.A. Instructing them on the correction wording. I received the New L.O.A., with his name spelled Gary Denbo correctly, but they still called it a 2001 World Series jersey.

I have other Steiner Blunder L.O.A.'s, but i just gave up on their incompetance. "Do your own Homework".

regards,
larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

clinton2828
02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
The Most Telling Part That Dose Not Match Up Is The "n" Of The "ny" On The Chest With The Pin Strpies From The Pic Of The Jersey To The Game Photo. The Placement Of The "ny" In Line With The Stripes..

Anyone See What I Mean.

suave1477
02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Just To Play Devils Advocate On This One!!!

From The Photos Posted It Looks Most Likely It Was Used During Regular Season And Probably Prepared For As A Back Up For The World Series. Which Chances Are It Wasn't Worn During.

I Understand The Argument That It Should Be Specified More Clearly When Exaclt The Jersey Was Actually Used, But Also Remember That Steiner Is A Middle Man Not An Authenticator And They Are Trying To Make Best Judgment On An Item In A Short Period Of Time I Assume Since They Do Have Huge Inventory To Go Through On A Constant Basis.

Seems Like This Was An Honest Mistake That Anyone Could Have Made So I Do Believe On This One They Should Be Cut Some Slack.

They Look At The Jersey Noticed It Showed Heavy Use And The World Series Are In Plain Sight, So It Makes Sense Anyone Would Assume It Was Worn At That Time.

Now I Don't Know What The Price Tage Is That Was Originally Paid For But Thats Another Story.

Tay1038
02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Very well stated Suave!

Thought I would conclude this email with a positive. After listening to everyone's opinions, I spoke with Steiner rep. and they kindly replaced my LOA with one that NOW reads...

""Derek Jeter 2001 Game Used Regular Season Yankees Home Jersey W/ Flag, Black Arm Band, American League Patch, and prepared for and possibly worn in the 2001 World Series""

Although they stood strong by there first claim, they were very reasonable and professional with how they ended this possible mistake.

suave1477
02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Tay Great Job!!! Glad It Was Resolved In A Way That You Were Comfortable With.

Tay1038
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my 2001 World Series Derek Jeter gamer has finally been PHOTOMATCHED to the World Series!!!! October 31, 2001. Game 4 of the W.S.

Also added another photo of him wearing it, post 9/11

Jersey on eBay now. Check it out.

kingjammy24
02-29-2008, 07:49 PM
the back matches. what about the front? the photo of the front that you've used shows a heavily twisted and contorted yankees logo where you can barely see any pinstripe matches. the single pinstripe/logo relationship that is visible doesn't match up.

here are other photos from game 4, including the one you used:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1959/jetereo9.jpg

enlighten me as how you think the front has been matched.

rudy.

jimbo
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
kingjammy24,

Also, look at the WS patch relative to the pinstripes...

Just like the Yanks logo on the front, they don't match up either.

jimbo
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Taking a more detailed look at the jersey and the photos from Getty Images, I noted additional discrepancies:

If you look closely at the back pinstripes and how they intersect with the sleeve pinstripes, you can clearly see that the jersey being offered does not match the one back photo of Jeter in Game 4:

1. Look closely at the 2nd back pinstripe from the left edge of the flag and notice that the jersey being offered does not intersect with the sleeve pinstripe. The game photo shows the 2nd back pinstripe clearly intersects with a sleeve pinstripe.

2. Look closely at the 3rd back pinstripe from the same left edge of the flag and notice that the jersey being offered does intersect with a sleeve pinstripe. The game photo shows the 3rd back pinstripe does not intersect with any sleeve pinstripe.

So, to recap, the seller claims that there's a photomatch from game 4. The only photomatches are from the two photos posted on the auction page. By the way, Getty Image 51717424 posted by the seller on the auction page is a poor frontal photo for photomatching the pinstripes or the Yanks logo. There are better photos for frontal comparisons in Getty Images that can be used.

The only two elements that I can see that match are:

1. The number placement relative to the back pinstripes only. There isn't a clear enough shot of the jersey in the game photo to make a clear x, y placement comparison relative to both the back and the sleeve pinstripes.

2. The flag placement relative to the back pinstripes.

The elements that do not match Getty Image archived photos of Jeter in Game 4 are:

1. Yanks logo placement on the front of the seller's jersey does not match Getty Image 51717429 (Game 4 WS). Previously pointed out by kingjammy24.

2. The WS patch placement on the sleeve of the seller's jersey does not match Getty Image 51717429 (Game 4 WS). Previously pointed out in my previous post.

3. The pinstripes on the back relative to the pinstripes on the sleeve on the seller's jersey does not match the Getty Image posted by the seller on the auction page (details above).

Bidders are relying on two elements that match (number placement and flag placement) when there are at least three elements that clearly do not match.

Caveat Emptor...