PDA

View Full Version : AMI Roger Craig

lund6771
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
has anyone seen a niners jersey with a stamp like this in it?

I've had a ton of niners jerseys from this era, purchased a bunch directly from the equipment manager, and NEVER have I seen this stamp

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=40859

hippo916
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
In the late-1980s, Dick Dobbins purchased jerseys directly from the 49ers and stamped them "Purchased from San Francisco 49ers." That appears to be Dick's stamp.

Marichal27
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
This is past the late '80's, and I don't believe Dick had anything to do with selling the 49er jerseys then. By that point, the 9ers were selling them directly from the team. He was selling them more in the mid '80's. Another source is to ask Lon Lewis, a member of GUU and he can give you details.

hippo916
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
The 1993, 1994, and 1995 49ers jerseys were sold through Man of Steal. In addition, MOS also had a number of jerseys from earlier years, including Joe Montanas, which I foolishly passed on at about $2,000. The jerseys all included an embossed 49ers LOA with Carmen Policy's signature. Most of the jerseys also had a piece of athletic tape on which Bronco Hinek wrote the game during which it was worn. But based on wear, it was obvious the jerseys were worn for more than the referenced game. According to MOS, they had a four year agreement to sell the 49er jerseys. But either the 49ers or Scoreboard, who I heard brokered the deal between MOS and the 49ers, reneged on the agreement in 1996.

My recollection, although fading because of age, is that Dick handled the 49ers jerseys for a couple years in the 1980s, perhaps around 1986 and 1987, although I have been wrong many times before as I am constantly reminded by my wife and kids. As you know, Dick constantly bought and sold jerseys, and would place his stamp on jerseys that did not come to him directly from the Giants. For example, in 1994, he bought the personal collection of a Giants clubhouse employee, and I purchased many of those jerseys from Dick. He stamped them all, including flannels, "PURCHASED FROM SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS." So, although I cannot identify the year of the AMI Craig, and know very little about football tagging, it's conceivable that Dick purchased and stamped the jersey in the 1990s because that looks very much like his 49ers stamp. With that said, Dick introduced me to Lon Lewis as the "49ers expert" during an antique show in San Mateo, CA, and Lon has demonstrated his extraordinary knowledge many times on this forum. So, I agree with Marichal27 that Lon is the guy to seek out for an opinion.