PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson game used bat

hurlanator
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
My grandfather gave me a bat about 10 years ago. The bat was given to my grandfather when he was a kid directly from Jackie Robinson. The bat has a crack from a ball he fouled off during the game. The bat was given to him in the 1940's after a game in Boston.

Does anyone know what something like this would be worth? I was also curious how I could get this authenticated and appraised without having to send it away to someone?

thanks

3arod13
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
My grandfather gave me a bat about 10 years ago. The bat was given to my grandfather when he was a kid directly from Jackie Robinson. The bat has a crack from a ball he fouled off during the game. The bat was given to him in the 1940's after a game in Boston.

Does anyone know what something like this would be worth? I was also curious how I could get this authenticated and appraised without having to send it away to someone?

thanks

Can you add any details about the bat and add a picture?

MSpecht
01-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi--

If you are able to post photos, be sure to include close-up pics of the knob, center label, and barrel label (including the length and weight of the bat) and you will be able to get some good preliminary feedback on this forum based on Jackie Robinson's personal H & B shipping records as well as members' personal expertise.

As far as obtaining authentication services without shipping the bat, it might work if you are within driving distance of Margate City, New Jersey (John Taube, PSA/DNA), Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Dave Bushing, MEARS), or San Diego, California (Mike Specht, BATS). Otherwise, shipping to one of these services is probably going to be necessary.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

5kRunner
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll give you $500. ;)

Just kidding.

If real, you are probably talking tens of thousands. Maybe more depending on the date it was produced.

I'd love to see some pics.

thegoodz15
01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
dear hurl.....i have been collecting bats since 1984 and have had 3 of them....one being which is in my collection jackies 1955 ws bat and a autographed jacki from 1953.....the knobs on jacki bat are very distinct and so is the usage.....if the bat is real i will pay you 50,000-70,000 cashiers check made to anyone you want....thegoodz15@aol...enjoy go giants.....scott

TFig27
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
dear hurl.....i have been collecting bats since 1984 and have had 3 of them....one being which is in my collection jackies 1955 ws bat and a autographed jacki from 1953.....the knobs on jacki bat are very distinct and so is the usage.....if the bat is real i will pay you 50,000-70,000 cashiers check made to anyone you want....thegoodz15@aol...enjoy go giants.....scott

he said you can make it out to me :p

XPFO
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I am shocked there have not been any pictures posted of this bat.....very shocked:rolleyes:

DRILLINDK
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I would rec. sending it in to have it authenticated.

hurlanator
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I will post pics tomorrow night. What are the chances of sending an item away and not getting it back? I kind of worry mailing something that could potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars?

bubbrubb25
01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I will post pics tomorrow night. What are the chances of sending an item away and not getting it back? I kind of worry mailing something that could potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars?
I personally would never mail it if I were you just post pics.

hurlanator
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Im just hoping its the real deal. I dont think it can be authenticated by just posting pictures but will be able to get some better info than I have now from some of the members here

kylehess10
01-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Im just hoping its the real deal. I dont think it can be authenticated by just posting pictures but will be able to get some better info than I have now from some of the members here

By posting pictures here, experts can give you a good opinion on it's authenticity. If they say it looks authentic, then that's your que to send it in. If you can't go in driving distance to an authenticator, then just get insurance and the basic needs to know your bat is going to the right place in the mail (ex: signature confirmation)

hurlanator
01-18-2008, 06:53 PM
here's the pics... they arent the best quality because the camera sucked. On the knob 'J.R 3' is engraved. What do you all think?

karamaxjoe
01-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Well that was just a bid downer.

The bat experts on this forum will tell you this is a store model bat due to the Flame Tempered stamp next to the barrel and the JR3 on the knob. It's not worth much

Mike

yanks12025
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello
That bat is from the 60's to the 1970's.

Birdbats
01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Store bat, 1977-79 vintage.

bigtruck260
01-18-2008, 08:57 PM

thanks

So then what's the deal with this story? How does any of this connect?

Dave

TomTimmerman
01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I

MSpecht
01-18-2008, 09:25 PM
As correctly stated above, this bat is clearly a retail, store bat manufactured post-1976.

There is little rhyme or reason to stories that often seem to surround family "hand-me-downs," and get repeated to subsequent generations. A guy brought me two bats last week that had been in his family "forever" and "had been obtained from the players themselves." One turned out to ba a 1930's Spalding store model Earl Averill bat (not a bad bat actually) and the other a late-1960s H & B replica Nap Lajoie bat.

The result of this Jackie Robinson bat was unfortunate, but at least you were able to receive correct information in a timely and inexpensive manner.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

5kRunner
01-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for posting the pics.

I agree with Mike. While the outcome is probably extremely disappointing, at least you didn't spend the money to insure it (thinking it was a $50,000 bat) and ship it to an authenticator only to find out what you now know.

tinkerbell262 @ verizon.net
01-18-2008, 11:21 PM
guys ive posted a picture of my robbie bat under ask about shipping records on a thread called vintage oak bats hb.bmh responded on another thread its an oak bat we made these a long time ago.ive called every bat dealer in the usa and they say ive never seen an oak bat in my life they dont exist.but they do and unregistered.its branded tm in the center.also where 125 apperas on louisville sluggers a code dhb12 appears instead.the knob is unstamped and filed.it weighs 35 ozs and is 34 inches long.it shows plenty of game used player characteristics.i have other oak bats from hb.why are these bats unregistered?and why oak?and what about the block letter name on the barrel?does this mean the bat was manufactered before he signed his endoresment contract?can anybody answer any four of these questions?thanks jane