PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's uniform manufacturers....help?

cjw
01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
A's fans/collectors....who manufactured the A's uniforms of the 1970's? McCauliffe, Wilson?

Thanks!

Rob L
01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
A's fans/collectors....who manufactured the A's uniforms of the 1970's? McCauliffe, Wilson?

Thanks!

McAuliffe throughout the 1970s.

Rob L

RJB44
01-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi -

McAuliffe Uniforms Corp was the exclusive provider of all Oakland game pants and jerseys from the late 1960's to 1980. For 1981, the team purchased both Wilson (White) and Rawlings (Gold), as well as some McAuliffe. I have seen McAuliffe worn with Oakland as late as 1983, however this was only in spring training photos and I suspect these were older jerseys used just during spring training games. Never saw the Kelly Green McAuliffe jerseys worn again after the 1980 season.

It is fair to say that after the new owner's took over (late 1980) a decision was made to look at different manufactures, considering that Charlie Finley used McAuliffe for over a decade. 1981 was the last season they wore the Kelly green color, transitioning to a more darker green in 1982.

RJB

cjw
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks!

I just purchased a Goodman's & Sons, goold pullover jersey with correct tri-green stripes, and white numbering/lettering for 1979, I think? Perhaps this was a minor league jersey? The name on the back (it escapes me at present) is not a name I can find reference to in A's MLB rosters.

cjw
04-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Finally able to take th pics

bigjeff77
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
[quote=RJB44;67847]Hi -

McAuliffe Uniforms Corp was the exclusive provider of all Oakland game pants and jerseys from the late 1960's to 1980. For 1981, the team purchased both Wilson (White) and Rawlings (Gold), as well as some McAuliffe. I have seen McAuliffe worn with Oakland as late as 1983, however this was only in spring training photos and I suspect these were older jerseys used just during spring training games. Never saw the Kelly Green McAuliffe jerseys worn again after the 1980 season.

It is fair to say that after the new owner's took over (late 1980) a decision was made to look at different manufactures, considering that Charlie Finley used McAuliffe for over a decade. 1981 was the last season they wore the Kelly green color, transitioning to a more darker green in 1982.

RJB

Thanks for the info RJB - I am currently looking at a 1981 A's Gold Jersey from 1981. This McAULIFFE jersey has front tagging on the center of the bottom seam: Year - McF tag - wash instr and the size is under the McF tag. What are your thoughts ( or anyone else with knowledge on these jersey's ). ?? Thanks

bronx_burner
04-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info RJB - I am currently looking at a 1981 A's Gold Jersey from 1981. This McAULIFFE jersey has front tagging on the center of the bottom seam: Year - McF tag - wash instr and the size is under the McF tag. What are your thoughts ( or anyone else with knowledge on these jersey's ). ?? Thanks

McAuliffe made the Gold jerseys up until 1980 and featured "A's" on the front of the shirts. Starting in 1981, the Gold jerseys were made by Rawlings and featured "Oakland" on the front.

According to Bill Henderson, he has only seen one McAuliffe jersey with Oakland on the front and he beleives it to be a salesman's sample.

What is on the front of the jersey you are looking at? How many green stripes are on the sleeves? Is there a name and/or number is on the back?

cjw
04-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Just an FYI in case anyone reading this thread comes across the jersey shown with "GIBISER" on the back - it was "stolen" from me. The buyer contacted me and we worked out a sale, then once in his possession he claimed that a crease wasn't specified. He filed a paypal dispute, recieved a full drums and didn't send the jersey back.

cjw
04-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Just an FYI in case anyone reading this thread comes across the jersey shown with "GIBISER" on the back - it was "stolen" from me. The buyer contacted me and we worked out a sale, then once in his possession he claimed that a crease wasn't specified. He filed a paypal dispute, recieved a full drums and didn't send the jersey back.

The buyer's name is Albert Broussard.

cjw
04-18-2011, 01:27 AM
The buyer's name is Albert Broussard.

Buyer rec'd full refund not "drums" (damn iPhone!)

sox83cubs84
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I went to the minor league section of the Baseball Reference website...there is no mention of anyone, anywhere, anytime playing in the minors with the last name of GIBISER.

Dave Miedema

RJB44
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
The #28 jersey in this thread is either a minor league (low level) or made up by someone. Oakland never wore Goodman jerseys in the 1970's or early 80's. As indicated in previous posts, McAuliffe was the primary provider for the team during that era. For 1981, Wilson provided the team with an almost identical copy of the McAuliffe white knit. In fact, many players, including Manager Billy Martin wore both the McAuliffe and the Wilson jerseys throughout the 1981 (strike shortened) season. Rawlings provided the team with a gold knit, similar to the gold McAuliffe with the exception of OAKLAND across the front. This was a single season jersey, as the team did away with the classic three ringed sleeves after 1981. I know for a fact that the older McAuliffes (white and gold) were used in spring training through 1983. Also, I have seen a couple McAuliffes tagged 1981 and 1982, both were white knits. The kelly green knits (McAuliffe) went away after the 1980 season. The majority I believe were sent to the minor leagues. I haven't even seen the kelly green knits used in spring training after 1980.

I own a several Oakland jerseys, including a 1980 McAuliffe (Green), 1981 Wilson (white), and a 1981 Rawlings (gold).

RJB

ferrisfain41
04-27-2011, 03:23 PM
RJB 44

Have a Ron Darling road 91 and Bob Watson home 87 available.
Great A's styles. watchhill08@att.net if interested adding to your collection