PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor GU Lid?

aeneas01
01-12-2008, 03:44 AM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=41213

although i'm not into newer/modern helmets, i did keep an eye on this sean taylor "game used" rookie lid when it was listed on ebay last week. i guess the thought of someone looking to capitalize on taylor's death (imo) drew me to the auction - and i guess i was interested in seeing if such an item would actually attract buyers. anyway, as some of you probably already know, i tend to be automatically suspicious of easily replicated modern helmets - especially when they are said to have once belonged to stars.

as such, i decided to contact the seller of the taylor helmet - i asked him to please send me the date code found on the inside of the shell. when i didn't hear from him, i emailed him again with the request. he has never responded. but what he did do was end his ebay auction early and now, less than a week later, the lid is being offered at american memorabilia (link above).

so is this lid really taylor's rookie game used helmet? if you ask me, i would say that it's highly, highly doubtful. taylor decided to go with his odd taped facemask scheme in game 14 of his rookie year and sported this look for the final 3 games of the 2004 season (games 14, 15 and 16 - identified in the photos below with a 1, 2 & 3 respectively). in games 14 & 15 the tape pattern appears to be the same but, for whatever reason, he changed it up for game 16 - he added more bands. yet if you look at the lid for sale, the facemask tape job doesn't match any of taylor's schemes. further, the high front snap for the chinstrap on taylor's lid penetrates the redskin decal - this is something that seems to consistent with taylor's helmet throughout his career. yet, again, the lid for sale clearly shows this chinstrap snap outside of the redskin decal (red circles).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/st.jpg

mvandor
01-12-2008, 10:36 AM
What is that decal below the American flag on the item for sale?

5kRunner
01-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm fairly new to this hobby and I'll still amazed by some people and the lows they will stoop to.

Great job aeneas, as always!

aeneas01
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
mvandor: warning label

5kRunner: i'm still amazed as well but becoming less so as the years go by...