PDA

View Full Version : High profile MLB Instructor jerseys?

RJB44
01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I was wondering what some of the opinions are regarding team jerseys worn by high profile former major leaguers, who worked as spring training or traveling minor league instructors (not coaches). As we all know, many high profile players participated in camps and some even roamed the various farm system as revolving hitting or pitching instructors for the parent clubs. I know for a fact that in the 1980's and 1990's these instructors would wear MLB team uniforms during their visits with the farm teams. As a personal experience of mine, back in 1981 (or 1982?) I was a young teenager working as an assistant clubhouse attendant for a double AA farm team of the California Angels. During the season, HOFer Warren Spahn paid a visit to the club as the revolving minor league pitching structor for the Angels. I vividly remember him unpacking his uniform out of his travel bag and hanging up in his guest locker. It was a California Angels Road grey uniform, number 54, with his name on the back. It was quite interesting to see the "real deal" (uniform) up close as a young kid.

I can only assume these jerseys are extremely rare finds. As in Warren Spahn's case, I believe he was only working with the Angels for a season or two. I am curious to see what people's thoughts are on these types of jerseys. They could fall into the "game used" category, I would think that it would much more desirable if it had an instructor's name on the back. I thought about this after reading an old article about Eddie Mathews and Harmon Killebrew, who were hired by the Oakland A's in the spring of 1981 to serve as hitting instructors during spring training and to help in the minor leagues during the season.

I came across a picture of Matthews taken in 1981, wearing the old style knit uniform of the Oakland A's. From the looks of the picture, his name is on the back. This would be a neat find it was ever out there, although highly doubtful. Especially with Oakland, who was well known for frequent recycling of uniforms in the 70's and 80's.