PDA

View Full Version : GU at the Hall of Fame

joelsabi
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Just curious which members have visited the Hall of Fame Museum.

What percentage of their items on display are game used.
What percentage of their items on display are autographed
What percentage of their items on display are considered vintage items (game programs, tickets, pennants, photos)

Even if its a rough estimate that would be interesting.

Also if you have opinion on the quality of item at the HOF Museum compared to what you know is in your private collection for a specific player/specific team . Would you have the item in the HOF Museum or the item in your collection.

Lastly, Would you ever donate an item in your collection to the HOF Museum and what would be the condition(s).

sayhey24
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Having been to the Hall dozens of times, I'll give this one a shot -- you asked a lot of questions so forgive me if I leave something out.

First, the vast majority of items in the Hall are vintage. There is one room set
up as a locker room, with each locker representing a current major league team, and displaying game used equipment from current or very recent players. There are also newer items relating to recent milestones and historic events scattered throughout the museum, but outside of that locker room, I would make a very rough guess that 75 perecent of artifacts on display are vintage.

Virtually every single piece of equipment on display is game used, the only exceptions I can think of are early examples of gloves and bats in a display about the evolution of equipment. Of course there are many vintage non-equipment items on display -- things like trophies, contracts, personal items, stadium artifacts, artwork and baseball cards.

There are very few autographed items, because most autographs are not considered "museum pieces", the exception would be an autograph on a rare contract or other document pertaining to the history of the game.

I think the idea of donating something is great, but I know there are certain criteria it would have to meet - I would assume it would have to have historical significance. There was a great display of game used bats donated by an advanced collector when the last large group of Negro League players was inducted - the bats were amazing and of course, one of a kind.

The Hall made a real effort a while back to modernize, so it wasn't just a bunch of dark rooms with dusty old relics, and as a result it appeals to both the younger fans and those of us who love the earlier days of the game.

I hope I was able to give you some of the answers you're looking for.

Greg

suave1477
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Beleive it or not one of the most fascinating Baseball Museums is the one at Camden Yards.

I would say the Museum concists of from what I remember - 80% Baseball Game Used 10% Baseball Vintage/ Autograph & 10% Baltimore Ravens Game Used.

I could be wrong but I was there about a year and a half ago so thats how I remmeber it but I can tell you for sure I was blown away by how much Baseball Game Used they had on display.

worldchamps
01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
The Texas Rangers of all people have a pretty sweet one. They have a Mantle gamer, the Crown that Babe Ruth wore in that real famous picture of him. I haven't been in years, but it was pretty impressive. They have a lot of turn of the century jerseys too, to show what they look like. All the stuff is rented from the Baseball Hall of Fame.

joelsabi
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the greats observations. I think if I went to the HOF Museum maybe I would downgrade the importance of autographing items.
Anyone else feel this way.

I read that the HOF does allows some relics of the game to travel to other places so maybe Camden Yards is one of the place.

joelsabi
03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
There are very few autographed items, because most autographs are not considered "museum pieces", the exception would be an autograph on a rare contract or other document pertaining to the history of the game.

Is this really the museum thought that autographs are not museum pieces and what are the reasons behind this. i like other opinions on this. thanks

Dewey2007
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I read that the HOF does allows some relics of the game to travel to other places so maybe Camden Yards is one of the place.

A couple of years ago the HOF had an exhibit that was travelling around the country called "Baseball as America". I went and checked it out when it was here in the Bay Area and it was great because that is as close as I am getting to the HOF anytime in the near future.

Also, if I remember right they had a number of items on exhibit at the All-Star Game Fan Fest. Lots of HOFer jerseys and other game used equipment and other great artifacts.

I don't remember seeing really any autographed items at either exhibit though.

Made in Motown
03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
A couple of years ago the HOF had an exhibit that was travelling around the country called "Baseball as America". I went and checked it out when it was here in the Bay Area and it was great because that is as close as I am getting to the HOF anytime in the near future.

Also, if I remember right they had a number of items on exhibit at the All-Star Game Fan Fest. Lots of HOFer jerseys and other game used equipment and other great artifacts.

I don't remember seeing really any autographed items at either exhibit though.

This same exhibit is currently in Philadelphia at the Constitution Center, or will be soon.

cjclong
03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I've been to the HOF a couple of times and most of the items were not autographed. I remember a bat in Marlins locker from Ivan Rodriguez that was autographed and inscribed as his game used bat from the World Series. I remember it because that was very unusual as the other bats I remember were not autographed and I wondered where it came from as it looked like something that would have been sold by one of the dealers in game used items.

geoff
03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I have been to the Hall once when I was 12 Years old.I am now 30 Years old and don't remember a thing Except for the Lou Gehrigs Pics My Dad was showing me and meeting Warren Spahn at one of the Stores on Main Street.I will be going again hopefully within the next year or so.

Dewey2007
03-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Here goes the website for the HOF touring exhibit "Baseball As America". If your in the Philadelphia area you should check it out before it ends on May 11th. It would be well worth your time:

http://www.baseballasamerica.org/