PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to protect your collection?

kylehess10
01-09-2008, 01:34 AM
What do you guys do to protect your collection? Do you have extra locks on your door? Alarms? Security systems? A lot of people know about what I collect, and sometimes I worry that someday I'll come home to an empty room, and everything gone, with no trace to where they might be. I actually had a dream the other night that exactly happened like that.......I came home, and everything was gone; somebody broke in and just took it all. Do you guys ever worry about something like this happening? I'm trying to find a cheap solution to help protect my collection a little better than just 2 locks on my door. I'm out of high school now, so I'm going to be home a lot more often, so my worries are low for now; but once I start college in a few months, I NEED to have something to protect my collection.

chakes89
01-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Gun Safe?

whatupyos
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
I keep my stuff on the DL! Only my best friend plus my family has seen my collection...plus I'm not about to broadcast my collection and post pictures and whatnot...not that there is anything wrong with that, most people on here do that, but I'm a paranoid person and the more risks I can cut out the better. But I like the suggestion about the gun safe!! haha.

Aaron

mfsquirrelmaster
01-09-2008, 02:17 AM
If you put items in safe you can't display them. You should look into getting insurance for your items. I'm not exactly sure how much it costs or what it covers, but there have been posts of GUF about collection insurance in the past.

geoff
01-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I just got Insurance for my Items that I do have and also have an Alarm in my Condo.And off course l always lock my doors even if I go and take out the Trash.

Vintagedeputy
01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
http://image.hazardstrip.com/ss/sprays/9000.jpg

cohibasmoker
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
What do you guys do to protect your collection? Do you have extra locks on your door? Alarms? Security systems? A lot of people know about what I collect, and sometimes I worry that someday I'll come home to an empty room, and everything gone, with no trace to where they might be. I actually had a dream the other night that exactly happened like that.......I came home, and everything was gone; somebody broke in and just took it all. Do you guys ever worry about something like this happening? I'm trying to find a cheap solution to help protect my collection a little better than just 2 locks on my door. I'm out of high school now, so I'm going to be home a lot more often, so my worries are low for now; but once I start college in a few months, I NEED to have something to protect my collection.

The best protection is to not show your collection to your friends. I am sure your personal friends are OK but who knows, a friend may be in a public place talking about your collection when someone they don't even know overhears the conversation. Bam - bye, bye collection.

With that said, if someone wants your stuff, there isn't anything anyone can do to stop them BUT, an alarm would be helpful. And if you guys do get an alarm, change the code every few Months.

nyjetsfan14
01-09-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.collectinsure.com/

B1SON
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
What good does insurance do me??? Sure, I wil be financially reimbursed but there is NO WAY the one of a kind items can be replaced. I worry about this now more than ever. We have a magazine called "Bison Illustrated" of which they did an article on my collection a couple months ago and now they are coming over this week to take pics of my Bison room with all my jerseys displayed on the walls for another issue. I never gave theft much thought until recently..................

allstarsplus
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Along the same thoughts of Jim Reynolds!

Andrew

harpt
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
What good does insurance do me??? Sure, I wil be financially reimbursed but there is NO WAY the one of a kind items can be replaced. I worry about this now more than ever. We have a magazine called "Bison Illustrated" of which they did an article on my collection a couple months ago and now they are coming over this week to take pics of my Bison room with all my jerseys displayed on the walls for another issue. I never gave theft much thought until recently..................

I'd love to see that article when it's done.

suave1477
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM
The best measures you can take are the ones mentioned by earlier posters.

DO NOT MAKE IT KNOWN TO EVERYONE WHAT YOU HAVE.

IF ANYONE I HAVE SHOWN OR TOLD ABOUT MY COLLECTION ARE FAMILY AND VERY CLOSE FRIENDS.

ONE OF THE BEST WAYS ALSO WHEN TELLING SOMEONE ABOUT YOUR STUFF (SINCE MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE VALUE OF THE ITEMS) MAKE THEM SEEM LIKE THEY ARE NOT WORTH MUCH. IF YOU COME ACROSS LIKE THE ITEMS ARE WORTH A LOT, THAT MAY SPARK AN INTEREST IN SOMEONE WHO MIGHT GET AN IDEA.

Yankwood
01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
This...

suave1477
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Yankwood I have tried those but my bats are too big so the condoms always break lmaooooooo:D

Billyu40
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.trojancondoms.com/assets/products/packshot/35.jpg

These are the ones I use:)

chakes89
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x262/MechComander2/trespassers-shot.jpg

b.heagy
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Keep as many people out of your collection area as possible. Display enough to keep yourself happy and keep the valuables locked in a nice big heavy safe (dont have one?-buy one) . Often change your displays too. I ALWAYS take good care of my Rottweiler. He is the best guard dog I could have ever hoped for :p .

kingjammy24
01-09-2008, 05:48 PM
i can see the news reports now. a sleepy southern community awakes to the sound of .50 cal gunshots zipping through a local home as young kyle hess valiantly tries to defend his carlos guillen shower shoe.

kyle may have to wait until he's 18. at that point though, i fail to see a more appropriate firearm for a young man than the S&W .500 pictured in this thread. this is of course assuming that it wouldn't be feasible for kyle to mount an XM307 in some sort of makeshift guard tower. i'd hate to see kyle unprepared, holding his .50 peashooter, if the resourceful thieves arrived in an armored vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:XM307-01.jpg

rudy.

griffeyfan
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I would strongly caution anyone from allowing a newspaper/magazine from doing an article on your collection. I knew a person who shared with a local newspaper his HUGE Michael Jordan collection, which was all Upper Deck and a few game used items. The newspaper had a large distribution and did a big story in the Sports section along with a photo. It was all gone within two weeks when someone broke in and stole it. This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening to a collector who appeared in print.

kingjammy24
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
as an advocate of non-violent means, may i suggest an eco-friendly bunker:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6661/bunkerfv9.jpg

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
If my friends and family want to see my collection, then they can wait on the sidewalk like everybody else.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9439/btphmobilefe1.jpg

B1SON
01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I'd love to see that article when it's done.

I'll get your address and send you both issues. Joe

suave1477
01-10-2008, 10:07 AM
as an advocate of non-violent means, may i suggest an eco-friendly bunker:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6661/bunkerfv9.jpg

rudy.

KINGJAMMY both your posts were hhysterical i was laughing so hard i had tears. Your a funny guy!!! :D :D

"What do you mean funny?" - Joe Pesci

Neely8
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Funny how? Funny like a clown? Do I amuse you?

jboosted92
01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
The best protection is to not show your collection to your friends. I am sure your personal friends are OK but who knows, a friend may be in a public place talking about your collection when someone they don't even know overhears the conversation. Bam - bye, bye collection.

With that said, if someone wants your stuff, there isn't anything anyone can do to stop them BUT, an alarm would be helpful. And if you guys do get an alarm, change the code every few Months.

Its always a "friends, friend" that steals stuff....be sure to tell your "freinds" to be quiet about the sh!t.

bigtruck260
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I just keep old Shep on the front porch...(I use the back door).

jboosted92
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I just keep old Shep on the front porch...(I use the back door).

you use the back door? and your name is BIGTRUCK? :) :rolleyes:

jordan23collectibles
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I would strongly caution anyone from allowing a newspaper/magazine from doing an article on your collection. I knew a person who shared with a local newspaper his HUGE Michael Jordan collection, which was all Upper Deck and a few game used items. The newspaper had a large distribution and did a big story in the Sports section along with a photo. It was all gone within two weeks when someone broke in and stole it. This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening to a collector who appeared in print.

First of all, I would insure the collection. Then, I only display a few of my Jordan jerseys and the rest are kept in a secure location and easy accessible to be moved elsewhere in case of fire. It's a pity for the fellow Jordan collector who lost of all of it through theft. I hope he was insured.

to griffeyfan: By the way, do you have the link to the article when the local newspaper featured his collection?

jordan23collectibles

jppopma
01-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Another consideration if to use a PO Box when buying and selling items. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on Ebay that would love to sell you a jersey just to get your address, then come to take it back along with a few more.

both-teams-played-hard
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Another consideration if to use a PO Box when buying and selling items. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on Ebay that would love to sell you a jersey just to get your address, then come to take it back along with a few more.
Or, they could wait for you at the post office. When you go to your box to pick up your mail, they follow you home and rob you. :eek: