PDA

View Full Version : Starting A Game-Used Collection...

frikativ54
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I have been a baseball card collector for years, but I am still very new to the game used hobby. I only have a couple of signed bats, a pair of cleats, and a game used baseball.

When you guys were first starting, how did you go about finding reliable sources of memorabilia? Where are some places you guys go to seek out game used stuff?

If people could either list some good websites or send me an email or pm - my email is lazukor@gmail.com, I would really appreciate it. I google game used stuff a lot, but I find few reliable sources of player worn items.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

kylehess10
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
When you guys were first starting, how did you go about finding reliable sources of memorabilia? Where are some places you guys go to seek out game used stuff?

Ever since I first started collecting 2 years ago, I always purchased from companies like Authentic Sports Inc, Elite Sports Marketing, etc. being that they have the "game used contracts" with players. I always prefer buying from them knowing it originated direct from the player.

skyking26
01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Kyle has some points. Back in the day in the hobby infancy, I bought thru Robb Wocnick who bought thru team purchases, Ballpark Heroes, etc. Zane Burns, John Taube, and many on this forum can help steer you in the right direction.

Big difference today is price and fraud...

AstrosCollector
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Didn't Rob used to own Sports Warehouse?

bigtruck260
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Try:

Leftfieldcollectibles.com
(Left Field Collectibles) Art is a good guy with a ton of stuff. Hey Art, update that website!

Dave

skyking26
01-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, Rob owned Sports Warehouse. Those were the days...

DonTheLegend
01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
my first GU pieces were bought from the team itself (Cardinals Care auctions) and from local auctions that were team or player sponsored.

then i started to educate myself the best i could on the items that i had interest in and went from there.

buddy up with those that have been in the hobby and talk to reputable dealers and sources you feel comfortable with.

I.E. - as Dave said, Left Feild Collectibles

education, information, preparation....all of these things (and more) will help you in your collecting.

just like collecting cards and autos, if its too good to be true, then it probably is.