PDA

View Full Version : For the "Arod is Dirty Cause Canseco Says its So" Crowd

NYRangers
01-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Again, I am a Mets fan but, as the old lady said, "where's the beef?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/01/05/2008-01-05_jose_cansecos_sequel_not_as_juiced.html?print=1&page=all

Saturday, January 05, 2008
Jose Canseco's sequel not as 'Juiced'

BY CHRISTIAN RED
NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Saturday, January 5th 2008, 4:00 AM
Jose Canseco's sequel to his 2005 best-seller "Juiced" has hit its first snag.
As the Daily News first reported last weekend, former Bash Brother Canseco has finalized a deal to publish "Vindicated" with Penguin Books, with a planned release date to coincide with Opening Day. But former Sports Illustrated associate editor Don Yaeger, who was scheduled to collaborate with Canseco on the book, has passed on the project. Yaeger said Friday that Canseco does not have the goods on Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez that Canseco alluded to in media interviews last month.
"I'm passing," Yaeger told the Daily News. "I had a chance to review the Jose Canseco (material) that he provided me. I don't think there's a book there. I don't know what they're going to do. I don't think he's got what he claims to have, certainly doesn't have what he claims to have on A-Rod.
"There's no meat on the bones."
Robert Saunooke, Canseco's attorney, told The News that the plans to publish "Vindicated" are still going forward, with or without Yaeger.
"I'm not sweating it if Don passes," Saunooke said. "We had some terms of the contract concerning movie rights that we had to address which pushed the manuscript date back. But we're still moving forward."
During media interviews in New York following the Mitchell Report's release on Dec. 13, Canseco expressed surprise that A-Rod's name had not landed on the report.
"All I can say is the Mitchell Report is incomplete," Canseco said on the Fox Business Network. "I could not believe that (Rodriguez's) name was not in the report." On Fox News Channel, Canseco said, "Alex Rodriguez is not who he appears to be. And we'll just leave it at that."
Yaeger said what he was provided with fell far short of Canseco's boasts. "The thing is, if he had all this material, why wasn't it in the first book?" asked Yaeger.

byergo
01-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting AROD's lawsuit, which will never be forthcoming cause he's quilty!

TFig27
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I didn't know he likes to quilt too :p

3arod13
01-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting AROD's lawsuit, which will never be forthcoming cause he's quilty!

Lawsuit? Lawsuit for what? Just because someone makes false statements about you, that means you have to take them to court? Waste of money...waste of time!!

Nice try Canseco!!!

byergo
01-05-2008, 05:57 PM
If I were a major celebrity with a net worth of $100 Million (or whatever he has) you can bet your biffy I'd sue someone who intentionally libeled and slandered me in a smear campaign against my good name. Especially in this inflamatory steroid era.

His silence and lack of response speaks volumes to me and millions of other fans around the nation and world.

Nathan
01-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I get the feeling that if Jeter were named and declined to sue, the reaction would be "Oh, he's too classy to sue." With Rodriguez, it must be because he's guilty.

What a joke.

3arod13
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I get the feeling that if Jeter were named and declined to sue, the reaction would be "Oh, he's too classy to sue." With Rodriguez, it must be because he's guilty.

What a joke.

Nathan, you are the man! And you are correct! Too many Arod haters out there.

Arod has nothing to defend. You have someone, by the way who hasn't given any specifics, accusing arod of something, and you expect him to waste his time to defend himself. Not only that, look at how many of you are judging arod, with no factual information, and jumping on the bandwagon of he's guilty.

Com'n guys, give me a break!!

suave1477
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Nathan, you are the man! And you are correct! Too many Arod haters out there.

Arod has nothing to defend. You have someone, by the way who hasn't given any specifics, accusing arod of something, and you expect him to waste his time to defend himself. Not only that, look at how many of you are judging arod, with no factual information, and jumping on the bandwagon of he's guilty.

Com'n guys, give me a break!!

I have to agree with 3arod1 here and im not even a arod fan.

AROD has no reason to sue. Why would he sue??? Because some has-been said some things which he seems to have no proof of. You expect AROD to waste his time and money on someone who has nothing to stand on??? If arod was to pursue a lawsuit that would make him look even more guilty!!!

Think about it, some guy who know one really takes too serious says something about you in public with no hard concrete evidence and your supposed to go after him???? give me a break

brianborsch
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok guys, "give me a break" is being used too much here...lets get some variety in our comments......

TFig27
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar

David
01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Slander and such are very hard to prove in court even if you've been slandered, so someone not bringing a slander case against an idle charge doesn't prove anything.

There were, however, players like Palmeiro who threatened to sue Canseco for slander and never did. These cases are given special consideration as the player said he would proceed with charges. Often times these types legal threats are merely rhetorical flourishes that few, including the one who made the threat, take seriously.

3arod13
01-06-2008, 08:39 AM
If I were a major celebrity with a net worth of $100 Million (or whatever he has) you can bet your biffy I'd sue someone who intentionally libeled and slandered me in a smear campaign against my good name. Especially in this inflamatory steroid era.

His silence and lack of response speaks volumes to me and millions of other fans around the nation and world.

I believe what you really meant to say: "His silence and lack of response speaks volumes to ME and millions of AROD HATERS around the nation and world."

cjclong
01-06-2008, 06:16 PM
The people who say that Arod should sue Canseco are just displaying how little they know about lawsuits and the legal process. It takes hours, sometimes hundreds of hours ,to prepare a case, great expense, and a trial and jury selection could last for a month. There are depositions that could require travel and last for days and the witnesses might have to be found and served with subpoenas, sometimes from states all over the country ,to get them to the depositon and have their travel and other expenses paid and the cost of a court reporter typing all the deposition testimony. And that's before the trial itself even gets started. You are talking about something that might be an investment in time and money of not just months but years. Even if ARod wanted to spend the money why would he want to tie up weeks and months of his life that way. Anybody who thinks a lawsuit of this nature is an easy process probably also thinks you can lose 50 pounds in a week by buying a weight reducing product off the shelf and not excercising. That's a big reason so few people sue for slander even though they could win. Its just not worth it.

byergo
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't hate AROD, but I don't respect players that have cheated the game and record book via steroids. AROD is in the process of making a mockery of the all time home run record.

Make no mistake about it, AROD will be tried in the court of public opinion if not in the court room. If he wants to hide from Canseco's allegations and hope they go away, I believe he's making a huge mistake. The public will say: GUILTY. His only chance is to come out against Jose will his guns blazing.

Nathan
01-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't hate AROD, but I don't respect players that have cheated the game and record book via steroids. AROD is in the process of making a mockery of the all time home run record.

Make no mistake about it, AROD will be tried in the court of public opinion if not in the court room. If he wants to hide from Canseco's allegations and hope they go away, I believe he's making a huge mistake. The public will say: GUILTY. His only chance is to come out against Jose will his guns blazing.

I can point to one person having made a mockery of the home run record, and that was the one that somehow found a way to defy everything that has ever been learned about endocrinology.

I don't know where on earth you'd get the idea that Rodriguez would have used steroids. I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possiblity, but I don't see the red flags that existed with Bonds. Here are some basic facts:
1) Muscle fiber growth occurs when testosterone is present
2) Testosterone exists in much larger amounts in men than women, which is why normal women lack the ability to achieve the so-called "ripped" look
3) Testosterone levels taper off starting at around age 20, and at around age 25 the levels drop off dramatically
4) This is clearly demonstrated in the fact that most teenagers and young men have relatively little trouble dropping weight and adding muscle, while most men 30 and up have tremendous difficulty
5) With this in mind, barring enormous shifts in diet and exercise, most men will look pretty much the same at 40 as at 25

Alex Rodriguez doesn't look like a bodybuilder, he doesn't look like he's achieved much muscular hypertrophy compared to around age 25, and his baseball ability has been there from the time he was drafted. Don't forget that he was a #1 overall pick and was in the big league to stay at age 19. We're not talking about a 50th-round pick from a community college who never had any power here.

3arod13
01-07-2008, 07:00 AM

How can you say that, "I don't respect players that have cheated the game and record book via steroids. AROD is in the process of making a mockery of the all time home run record."

Do you know something we don't? What has Arod done? How has he cheated the game? What specifically has arod been accussed of? I'm confused.

cjclong
01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
How has ARod "made a mockery" of the home run records. The most he ever hit in a year was 57 in the then home run friendly Rangers ballpark. This year he hit 54. He has never had a huge sudden upward spike in his home run total. You don't accuse Henry Aaron of " making a mockery of the home run record." Aaron never hit 50 in single season and broke the career home run record by being consistent. That is exactly what ARod is doing now. Why is it that some people rather than hoping that a person hasn't done something wrong only seem to be happy in trashing other people and hoping to find the worst in human nature?

3arod13
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
How has ARod "made a mockery" of the home run records. The most he ever hit in a year was 57 in the then home run friendly Rangers ballpark. This year he hit 54. He has never had a huge sudden upward spike in his home run total. You don't accuse Henry Aaron of " making a mockery of the home run record." Aaron never hit 50 in single season and broke the career home run record by being consistent. That is exactly what ARod is doing now. Why is it that some people rather than hoping that a person hasn't done something wrong only seem to be happy in trashing other people and hoping to find the worst in human nature?

I can only guess: Staight up hatred...or jealousy...or...

It today's society, people thrive on negativity. When someone's doing good, people love to see them fall. Sad...truly sad!