PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on getting a base signed

kylehess10
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I need some opinions on getting a game used base signed. I have a base that was used during the first game that Tom Glavine and John Smoltz faced eachother, and being that Glavine is back with the Braves, I was thinking about having both Smoltz & Glavine sign the base, but I'm a little worried because of the bumpy surface. So does anybody here have a signed base? Does it look any bit messy? Let me know what your opinion is

ironmanfan
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Kyle..I think having them both sign it would be awesome. I recently had Cal Ripken Jr. sign two GU bases for me and it came out great. I'll post a picture of the pair in the next day or so.

tigerhidden
01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I used a sharpie paint pen on this one, it turned out alright. I have heard DecoColor is a good paint pen to use. You might want to buy one of those cheap mini bases and try several different types.

Billyu40
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I recently saw a base signed by Jeter and Mariano Rivera, I think on Steiner and it looked awesome. It would be cool if you could get the pitching rubber from that same game.

kylehess10
01-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I used a sharpie paint pen on this one, it turned out alright. I have heard DecoColor is a good paint pen to use. You might want to buy one of those cheap mini bases and try several different types.

The signature actually doesn't look bad on that. I remember seeing a Jeter signed base awhile back on eBay I think and the signature looked horrible from the bumps. I guess it all depends on the marker you use like you said. Here is the base that I want signed and the positions where I want Smoltz & Glavine to sign at:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/DSC00364.jpg

AROD313
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I think it would look great signed but if your going to get it signed I would definetly use a silver or gold paint pen. Blue and black sharpies always seem to fade on bases especially game used ones that have a lot of use.

godwulf
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I've got a 2001 Opening Day base from Chase Field (then Bank One Ballpark), which I've so far managed to get signed by five Diamondbacks players from that year's roster, using a black Sharpie with a slightly used tip, to ensure that the line is not too fine and is broad enough to be seen.

So far, all of the guys who've signed it - Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grace, Craig Counsell, Miguel Batista and Matt Williams - have had no problem doing so. They all seemed pretty practiced at it, and knew exactly how to sign so that their signatures look good, despite the uneven surface.

What makes me nuts is that I didn't have the base earlier...when I met 26 other guys who played for the DBacks that year. :rolleyes:

allstarsplus
01-05-2008, 09:15 AM
AROD313 I think it would look great signed but if your going to get it signed I would definetly use a silver or gold paint pen. Blue and black sharpies always seem to fade on bases especially game used ones that have a lot of use.

My favorite bases are the ones with the top logos like on Opening Day, All Star game, HR Derby, or special events such as Fathers Day, July 4th, etc. Casworks makes cases now for them too so they display real nice.

This base below I got signed by Cal Ripken. His advice to me was use a Gold Paint Pen as it will never bleed. The only problem with a Gold Paint Pen is it is harder to see the sig & inscription on a muddied up base.

I have a collection of Soriano game used bases from his 3 milestone games of 40 stolen bases (at RFK), 40 HRs (at Citizens/Philly) and the actual 40th Double 2nd base (at Shea/Mets). I look forward to getting it signed one day by Alfonso.

Ryan Zimmerman HR base in 2006 at Busch Stadium.

Andrew

eGameUsed
01-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Kyle,

Here are three bases signed in different pens.

5/8/2004 Base from Atlanta Biggio's 2500th Hit Game
Signed in Black Sharpie that was well broken in. Turned out pretty good and remains same after 3.5 years.

Opening Day 2005 Astros Base signed by Roy Oswalt
Signed in Black Deco Color. Turned out great! I think this is my favorite.

2005 NLCS Game 3 Base signed by Roger Clemens
Signed in something between a Deco and Sharpie. Didn't turn out the best, but still stays strong.

I would go with a Deco Color or a well broken in sharpie if you can! As mentioned, players have done this before, so they should be able to handle it.

Thanks,

frikativ54
01-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Gotta love the Oswalt! That is a really nice item; enjoy it!

kylehess10
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I just went to two different Walmarts and Staples and I couldn't find any Decocolor paint pens. So where can I find one at? I only have 3 days left until the fanfest.

joelsabi
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
go to a art suppy store. i bet they have them there.

I just went to two different Walmarts and Staples and I couldn't find any Decocolor paint pens. So where can I find one at? I only have 3 days left until the fanfest.

kylehess10
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
go to a art suppy store. i bet they have them there.

ok I'll try Michael's tomorrow.....they should have it.

AstrosCollector
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
ok I'll try Michael's tomorrow.....they should have it.

That's where I get mine.

kylehess10
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
ok I just got back from Michaels and got 3 of them (1 white, 1 silver, 1 black). They're called DecoFabric. But which would look better on a jersey number? White or silver?

AstrosCollector
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
DecoColor makes a line called DecoFabric, made specifically for fabrics, but they should do you ok. I have had a couple of jerseys signed on the number in silver DecoColor and they look really good.

kylehess10
01-10-2008, 10:42 PM
DecoColor makes a line called DecoFabric, made specifically for fabrics, but they should do you ok. I have had a couple of jerseys signed on the number in silver DecoColor and they look really good.

Is it ok to use the DecoFabrics on other things too like baseballs, helmets, etc.? I tested them out in the store and they seemed to be just like sharpie paint pens, but with a little more color to it.