PDA

View Full Version : Locker Displays Photos??

skyking26
01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Now that the holidays are over, as we fall into a lull at some point and the wife gets off my back about family commitments, etc., I want to build a locker display for all the jerseys, gloves and cleats. Can members post photos here with dimensions to assist when I go about my project??

I thought about using oak, but may elect to make it out of melamine board, etc.

Skyking26

worldchamps
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I am in the process of doing the same thing...got a little delayed with all the holidays and bowl games.

I will post when I am done.

If you are familar with Caseworks Locker Display, that is what I am trying to do. It cost $500 +, so I think I can make it for a lot less.

I went to Aaron Brothers (frame shop)....I bought a hugh poster size frame. I am going to build a box and put the frame on hinges.

I want to be able to put a basketball jersey, and shoes and possily a basketball in the display.

worldchamps
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Also on melamine, you can not paint that unless you are going to sand it down and then put a coat of primer on it. I want a black display so unless you want it white I would not use melamine.

skyking26
01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll take a look at the caseworks locker display. I have about 10 or 11 gamer worn jerseys, and doing individual cases on a wall just does not do it anymore - thus the locker concept...

skyking26
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Also on melamine, you can not paint that unless you are going to sand it down and then put a coat of primer on it. I want a black display so unless you want it white I would not use melamine.
I'm a carpenter. We use melamine often for cabinets. You can do other colors besides white as we have. Melamine was a thought as my first was oak, but that gets pricey quick. Still in the planning stages...

worldchamps
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Well Rob Steinmetz has the best display I have ever sceen.

Rob hope you don't mind me posting this...some day I hope to be able to have this done

skyking26
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Awesome. You know, as a carpenter you think you have good ideas - but there is always hindsight. I started my basement many years ago with an 18x25 sports room that I thought would be more than enough to display everything. I did an office. I did a full basement kitchen, bath and large living room. Obviously as a married family guy, I am told one can't take over the whole place with a sports shrine. I have inquired about the usage of the stairwell - nix. And so it goes. What to do, and thus the locker idea...

skyking26
01-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I am going to stay with the locker theme, probably in 4 foot wide sections to make sure they get down my stairwell. Will do either a melamine or laminate cover board of some kind later this month. Plan is to have a bypass glass door with lock (keep the kids out).

I still would like to see your locker displays here??

frikativ54
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Well Rob Steinmetz has the best display I have ever sceen.

Rob hope you don't mind me posting this...some day I hope to be able to have this done

That is really awesome! However, depending on the type of light used, the display might fade any autographs therein?

Just curious - does the oak smell make the collectibles smell of oak permanently? Let me know.

harpt
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Here is a little locker-type area in my basement. It's a cheapo method, but it looks OK for now.

skyking26
01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
That is really awesome! However, depending on the type of light used, the display might fade any autographs therein?

Just curious - does the oak smell make the collectibles smell of oak permanently? Let me know.
No, no oak smell. I have 3 oak single jersey cases in my room. They are all stained and sealed...

I think for the jersey case a laminent will be easier to clean and not as expensive to make obviously.

kylehess10
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Here's a case that I made myself that looks somewhat of a locker and costs about $75 to make. I put directions on my website on how to make it:

http://freewebs.com/gameused/howtomakeanicecase.htm

harpt
01-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I love how you did that one shelf angled. I never noticed that part of your case before. Very cool.

skyking26
01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Here is a little locker-type area in my basement. It's a cheapo method, but it looks OK for now.
Scott - gotta feeling you and I are about the same age. I am 44 and collect Kingman and was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Living outside Detroit as I still do, Brewers and Tigers were always very similar. Miller Park looks like a great place. Nice collection there. My Tigers collection focuses on the championship years 35/45/68/84 auto's and GU bats. It gets harder all the time with bats. If an obscure player from those teams comes available it always seems to go high...

harpt
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Central Michigan is my graduate school alma mater. I went to old Tiger Stadium whenever the Brewers were in town (and for other games too). What a great place to watch baseball.

I just love that 70's and 80's baseball era too. Guys like Cecil Cooper or Dave Kingman really stand the test of time for me. I'm sure that part of it is just the romanticization of remembering being a kid (I was 9 when the Brewers were in the World Series). I love Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun too, but Yount, Molitor, and the rest of Harvey's Wallbangers will always be baseball to me.

skyking26
01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Central Michigan is my graduate school alma mater. I went to old Tiger Stadium whenever the Brewers were in town (and for other games too). What a great place to watch baseball.

I just love that 70's and 80's baseball era too. Guys like Cecil Cooper or Dave Kingman really stand the test of time for me. I'm sure that part of it is just the romanticization of remembering being a kid (I was 9 when the Brewers were in the World Series). I love Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun too, but Yount, Molitor, and the rest of Harvey's Wallbangers will always be baseball to me.
Scott: I graduated from Central Michigan in Dec of 87!!! I grew up in Port Huron and live just outside there today. When were you at CMU? Where did you grow up and how did you end up at CMU??

harpt
01-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I grew up in Menominee, MI (Upper Penninsula), but went out to North Dakota for college. Then, in the mid 90's I was working for a company and living in Midland, MI when I decided to go back for my Master's. Since CMU was in the neighborhood (and my brother got his bachelors there in '91), it was a good fit.

What a small world. Another member of this forum is an alum of my other college...a small state school in North Dakota. Crazy stuff!

skyking26
01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I grew up in Menominee, MI (Upper Penninsula), but went out to North Dakota for college. Then, in the mid 90's I was working for a company and living in Midland, MI when I decided to go back for my Master's. Since CMU was in the neighborhood (and my brother got his bachelors there in '91), it was a good fit.

What a small world. Another member of this forum is an alum of my other college...a small state school in North Dakota. Crazy stuff!
I lived in Larzelere Hall most of the time. I dated a girl from Midland for about a year and a half. She still lives there, married with 2 sons. She is a teacher there and her husband works for Dow. I enjoyed my time there. Have not been back since 91 when my brother graduated.

I enjoyed watching Gorman Thomas back in the day too. Funny, I know he is an icon in WI still. You never see any of his bats or other stuff floating around...

harpt
01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I have a few of Gorman's bats and a batting helmet...that's it so far. He is definately a fan favorite.

skyking26
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I have a few of Gorman's bats and a batting helmet...that's it so far. He is definately a fan favorite.
Helmets are tuff items. I have one of Kingman's from a 87 comeback attempt. I think he has all his own helmets. How did you find one of Gorman's???

harpt
01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I made a trade with another collector. I had to give up quite a bit to get it, but it's a great piece. It's just like this one, with a lot of great marks.

skyking26
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Awesome - great display case. When you consider the scarcity of a helmet and how much use they typically have, I know I'd love to have some of Kingman's thome, McGwire etc...

People often wonder how Thomas or Kingman would perform today as they were low BA free swingers...

harpt
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Gorman's lifetime batting average was .225

I'm guessing he could keep up that pace today :D

skyking26
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I think Dave's was .236. It was a different game back then. Guys like Kingman and Thomas were employed 16 years because they could drive in 90-120 RBI a year, hit the bomb when called upon. They are ridiculed about defense alot, but Adam Dunn today is a throwback to that period and he just did his 4th 40 HR year....!

gwh11
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Regarding Thomas, he was (rightfully) considered an excellent defensive centerfielder. Not sure about Kingman, though.

As a kid, I always though Thomas struck out way too much. As an adult, I've come to appreciate him more.

Here's his '78 road jersey (with some nice pilling, scrapes and stains) and a photo of him wearing the exact jersey.
Guy

harpt
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Guy,

We've talked about this shirt before. As you know, I love it. It sure would look nice in my basement;)

Thanks for posting the photo.

Scott

skyking26
01-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Looks to me like you guys got some sweet stuff here. I have 7 GU Kingman jerseys, and appreciate every one.

We should be happy we got them all back in the day, eh? You can't find any of this stuff anymore, it is either in collections like ours or in a major auction house.

Where did the owner get the Thomas shirt?? Another awesome piece.

skyking26
01-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Regarding Thomas, he was (rightfully) considered an excellent defensive centerfielder. Not sure about Kingman, though.

As a kid, I always though Thomas struck out way too much. As an adult, I've come to appreciate him more.

Here's his '78 road jersey (with some nice pilling, scrapes and stains) and a photo of him wearing the exact jersey.
Guy
Kingman was never thought of as a great defensive guy - but I honestly thought he did an adequate job at 1st -. He played LF, and 3rd back in the day too, but I did not feel OF was the place for him. He also pitched in college and a little with SF too. Dave's quiet nature left him easy prey for insults.

gwh11
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I obtained the Thomas jersey from B&E Collectibles. The shoddy photo doesn't do it justice; for a baseball jersey it shows tremendous wear.

Personality-wise, it sounds like Kingman was the opposite of Thomas...

And Scott, as I promised before, you can have first crack at it when I eventually sell...!
Guy

skyking26
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I'll just throw this out here. I obtained 2 first baseman mitts in Nov directly from Dave, and he has more. If anybody would entertain some kind of a trade I know I would, Scott, Guy...?

harpt
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, those sound awesome!! For me, my collection is extremely narrow. I only collect Yount, Molitor, Simmons, Cooper, Gantner, Oglivie, Thomas, Moore, and Fingers. Occasionaly I'll pick up something from a guy like Don Money, or a pitcher from that era.

gwh11
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
My baseball wants/needs are similar to Scott's: '70's Brewers jerseys and Seattle Pilots jerseys.
Guy

cjosefy
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
In the spirit of the original purpose of the thread, here's mine. I got it at IKEA, where you can put this kind of thing together yourself and mix and match parts. It looks a little more empty now that I've sold the shinguards and cleats that used to be in the locker.
http://www.hipstersunite.com/bossmus/images/display_room.jpg

joelsabi
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
The hall of fame has some nice locker. i found these on the net.

skyking26
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
In the spirit of the original purpose of the thread, here's mine. I got it at IKEA, where you can put this kind of thing together yourself and mix and match parts. It looks a little more empty now that I've sold the shinguards and cleats that used to be in the locker.
Hi: This is what I had in mind, something with the wood look without having to apply formica, the expense, etc.

Now, I did a search and actually have one of these ikea stores 65 miles away. Was this a kit by itself, or did you have to take parts from such and such, and if you would, please email me. I am going to email you now with some questions... Thanks, Bob

worldchamps
01-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Well I finished my case, for the most part I am pretty happy with it. Ended up costing under $50 to make. The wood was white tempered wood for shelves, so I had to paint it black...if you could find pre-painted wood it would spend up the process. I used a poster picture frame for the front and put it on hinges. Overall pretty easy to do.

jboosted92
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Well I finished my case, for the most part I am pretty happy with it. Ended up costing under $50 to make. The wood was white tempered wood for shelves, so I had to paint it black...if you could find pre-painted wood it would spend up the process. I used a poster picture frame for the front and put it on hinges. Overall pretty easy to do.

NICE WORK! could you list parts from A-Z, so members could copy your work? unless your going to market it :)

geoff
01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
World Champs are those Dirk Shoes and Jersey Game Used.If so they are nice looking and also a nice looking case.

worldchamps
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I went to Aaron Brothers and they have 29X40 picture frames, buy 1 get 1 for a penny....so that you approx $35

I just measured the dimenions of the frame and it was 29 3/4 by 42 1/2 I think

I went to Home Depot and they had 8 foot by 11inch white tempered board for $20 or so....had them cut it to the dimensions of the frame

Then bought a piece of flat wood the same size as the frame.

So basically made a box and then used the frame as the lid

Bought pre-mixed black paint, and painted 2 coats

Bought some hinges to attach...I am also going to buy a magnet or something to keep door closed

Went to Container Store and paid more than I should have for a hanger, I think it was $9.

I bought enough products to make a second one, and am in it just under $100. So $50 each, but probably a little less.

I am very limited in really any skills, but especially making things, so if I can do this, it really is that simple. I saved a ton of money as oppoed to buying a Caseworks Lockerroom.

I am not going to hang on the wall, bc it is pretty heavy, and I think it looks fine on the floor. I am sure there are better ways to make these so if anyone has any advise or input please share.

And yes they are Dirk gamers.

Thanks, and I hope to start making the 2nd one this weekend.

davetiki
01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but how did you assemble the box? Did you use nails, glue, screws, etc. I too, am not handy but would like to give it a shot.

Thanks,

Dave

skyking26
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Time to give this thread a healthy and worthy bump.

I dropped by home depot and about the best thing I could come up with was the malamine board. I still like the Ikea locker. Like the fact it has a woodgrain look. Can the gentleman that has this offer any info on if this was a kit, or did you have to assemble from all parts of the store??

RK

cjosefy
01-27-2008, 09:48 PM
There is a section of the store that holds all of the items related to cases like I have. You can get an employee to help you pick out everything you need. It's pretty simple once you see the displays in the store.

In addition, the IKEA website has a section where you can visually build and price displays like what I have.

skyking26
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
C
There is a section of the store that holds all of the items related to cases like I have. You can get an employee to help you pick out everything you need. It's pretty simple once you see the displays in the store.

In addition, the IKEA website has a section where you can visually build and price displays like what I have.
Chris - can you email me a photo so I can send it to someone at the closest Ikea? That would help alot, thanks...

Bob

thome25.com
01-27-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.cssystemsonline.com/Stadium%20Lockers%20-.htm

joelsabi
01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
http://www.cssystemsonline.com/Stadium%20Lockers%20-.htm

Did you buy one of these? These look great. how much are they?

skyking26
02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Bump...

thome25.com
02-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I did not buy one of these. I found them via google while looking for skyking

skyking26
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I did not buy one of these. I found them via google while looking for skyking
Funny boy...

tkustron
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
ttt I am looking to do the same I like the ikea Idea but cannot find anything on the web site. what exactly is that? a closet organizer? if so homedepot and lowes may sell something like it I will look tomarrow

skyking26
03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
If they do let us know.

tkustron
03-08-2008, 03:32 PM

what are the dimensions on that one I found all the ones at ikea just curious to what size you used thanks

ivo610
12-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone got more picture of something they have built recently? Im looking to do something high end but am unsure of what direction to go in.

WadeInBmore
12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Not sure how "high-end" you are thinking about going, but here are picks from inside the Nationals locker-room from this past season. Hope this gives you some good inspiration.

wade

ivo610
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Ummm not that high end. Maybe something between that and what I can buy at walmart :)