PDA

View Full Version : Did Mattingly ever use Pat Kelly/Cooper bats?

TFig27
12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
The reason I ask is that I have a Pat Kelly bat with the number "3" on the bottom. I am aware Mattingly would put numbers of retired Yankees on his handles.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but I was wondering if Mattingly ever used other players bats, specifically Pat Kelly.

Thanks for any help

Tom

nomarmauerfan
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
TFig,
Can you post a picture of the bat? I have numerous photos of Mattingly with Coopers, but they all have his name on it. Let me see a pic, then I'll go to work for you. I think its a stretch, but I can look. If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Pat Kelly a right-handed batter? If so, the ball marks probably wouldn't be to the right of the label (as for Mattingly). But, I'll check after I see the pic.

Mike

JimCaravello
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe Kelly wore #3 in the minor leagues.........let me dig through some old files............

TFig27
12-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Thank you both for the replies. I am going to take some pics and get them posted shortly. I do agree it is a stretch, but that's what makes it fun.

He may have worn number 3 in the minors. I wasn't able to find anything to verify this yet.

I appreciate the help.

Tom

TFig27
12-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Here are some pics. I am going to try to take some better ones that show more detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/IMG_1764.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/IMG_1763.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/IMG_1761.jpg

TFig27
12-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Here's a picture of Mattingly using a similar bat. Obviously, you can't see the name on the bat.

http://cache4.gettyimages.com/xc/75092663.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193BEA130A50EB9E8B4D13B1527E9A936B2

nomarmauerfan
12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
TFig,
Where are the ball marks in relation to the label? I checked all of my Mattingly photos and have yet to see him use a Cooper with a #3 on the bottom. But, the ball marks will help. Thanks.

Mike

TFig27
01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Mike,

I was able to pull the bat out. The ball marks are fairly evenly distributed around the barrel. There doesn't appear to be a prominent side. I appreciate you looking through your pictures.

Do you have any bats/photos of his bats with the "3" on the bottom?

Does anyone know if Cooper bats are able to be narrowed down to a year, or year range. This would help in knowing if it is a Kelly minor league bat.

Thanks
Tom

nomarmauerfan
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
TFig,
I'll look through the pics again for a #3 on the knob. However, I think Jim, George, and RJ, would confirm this, ALL of Mattingly's ball marks are to the right of the barrel. George can really be of help here with him having 8-9 Mattingly bats in his collection (vs. my one). However, I've yet to see one of Donnie's bats with ball marks anywhere else.

Mike

nomarmauerfan
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Here are 2 pics of Mattingly's black Cooper's. The second one is absolutely pounded...wish I would've been collecting back when that was in the Leland's auction!!!

Mike

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/mattingly_bats_03812.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb220/mikandrea/mattinglygameusedcooper2.jpg

JETEFAN
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi

Jim can correct me if I am wrong, I did speak to Jim once about this when I was looking to pick up a Donnie bat a while back. Though usually on one side, he had no problem with ball marks on other parts of the bat. I have to agree based on some bats I have seen that come from un-questionable sources. Also if you look at some Donne pictures, he often hit label back, so there will be ball marks on a lefty batter side and on the back. I have also seen pictures where you see no label on his swing indicating label back or even label down. If all other Donnie traits are correct, I see no problem with ball marks on different areas. Check out the pictures 1-label back 2- label down. Jim?

George

nomarmauerfan
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, then, I guess I am wrong. Since its a Pat Kelly bat, we have to assume that Kelly used it. We could look at the tar patterns, but, with Mattingly's differences in tar patterns, that would prove inconclusive. The "3" on the bottom does not match up with the "3" of the "23" on the bottom of the Cooper that I have a picture of. Is that all we can use?

Mike

JimCaravello
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey guys - it would not be uncommon to see a Mattingly gamer with a few ballmarks on the opposite of the barrel - or more likely, under the label side on the barrel - he primarily pounded the right side being a left handed hitter - but I have handled north of 30 legitimate Mattingly gamers now and I have seen a few with peppered ball marks not on the right side.....

Regarding this Kelly bat - I have never seen Donnie use anything other than his own model bats. Mattingly did use 33 1/2 bats at time in the 31 ounce range like this Kelly bat - but he had too many options for bats with his own name in the early 90's.........Did he use other players bats?? Yes - in the 80's, he was known to use a few Rickey Henderson bats at times - as they both ordered T141 models in the same length and weight. I have owned a Henderson bat used by Mattingly as well as a Mattingly bat used by Henderson - but there are only a few examples that have ever surfaced. I have never seen Donnie use any other player's bats..........

Also - I am almost positive that Kelly wore #3 at Columbus - I have owned a few of Kelly's bats over the years and I had one at one time from the early to mid 90's ( a LS ) that had #3 on the knob and then a #14 over it as he brought it with him to NY from Columbus.........I don't have any photos saved of that - but I am pretty sure about this........

I am not saying that Mattingly did not use this Kelly Cooper bat - but I think the chances are remote at best...........

Let me know if I can help further. Jim

JimCaravello
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Just a quick follow up - got ahead of myself a little in the second paragraph - I state I have never seen him use any other players bats - but I go on to state the Henderson example and that is correct - sorry for the confusion with my first line in that paragraph.......haven't had my fill of coffee yet this morning.........

TFig27
01-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you guys for all your time and research.

I actually picked this bat up with no knowledge of the number, just as a Pat Kelly bat. I have been curious about the number "3" on the bottom since I got it. I appreciate all the info on the Mattingly bats, as one day I plan on picking one up that I feel comfortable with.

I like the fact that hey, maybe Mattingly used this bat. But, if Kelly wore number three in the minors, it may be an early bat.

Who would think a $30 bat would be looked at so closely. That's what makes this great.

Thanks again for info and pics.

Tom