PDA

View Full Version : Leyritz Busted for DUI -Vehicular Homicide

thomecollector
12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow! Former Yankee ,Jim Leyritz was busted for DUI resulting in a womams death this morning. He has been charged in her death. Saw it on TMZ.com:(

skyking26
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Being a non to very light drinker I may be a bit of a prude; but I am a firm believer that if you have a drink, you should not be behind the wheel. Lock him up...

David
12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
It's not being a prude. You can be a heavy drinker and be against drinking and driving.

suave1477
12-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Can the cloud over baseball get any darker????:(

b.heagy
12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
My heart goes out to the victim and the two little children that no longer have a mother. Truely a sad day. As a father of 4 I cannot comprehend what those children are going through.

cjclong
12-31-2007, 02:04 PM
This is a personal tragedy for all the victims. But I don't see the actions of a former player who is no longer playing in the game being a cloud over baseball anymore than OJ Simpson being a cloud over professional football. Unfortunately this is an example of a person acting irresponsibly without, as I see it, any connection to sports other than being a former player.

skyking26
12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
This is a personal tragedy for all the victims. But I don't see the actions of a former player who is no longer playing in the game being a cloud over baseball anymore than OJ Simpson being a cloud over professional football. Unfortunately this is an example of a person acting irresponsibly without, as I see it, any connection to sports other than being a former player.
I would guess that all the poster meant was that even though a former player commits a wrong - and they may be many years removed from their former occupation - that they are still linked to it (the occupation). That being said, these guys are no different than hollywood types. They are entertainers, and kids and others look up to them as examples of what that perfect role model is. So often we are reminded that they put their pants on the same way, and fail as humans as we all do. When it happens, it is a shock because you expect more as they are in the public eye and certainly paid more and should be able to deal with it.

The old saying says, the bigger they are, the harder they fall...

3arod13
02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Update:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- The woman who was killed when former World Series star Jim Leyritz crashed his SUV into her car had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.
According to a toxicology report released Friday, 30-year-old Fredia Ann Veitch had a blood-alcohol level of 0.18. Florida's legal limit is 0.08. Leyritz's blood-alcohol content three hours after the crash was 0.14 percent.

Leyritz, 44, pleaded not guilty Thursday to a recently added charge of DUI manslaughter by unlawful blood-alcohol levels. He previously pleaded not guilty to a charge of DUI manslaughter with impairment in Veitch's death. Leyritz faces 15 years in prison if convicted.

"It doesn't affect the cause of the crash because he ran a red light," Assistant State Attorney Stefanie Newman said.
Leyritz's attorney, Mike Dutko, said the information could change the way the prosecution proceeds.

"Pre-crash conditions and circumstances become terribly, terribly relevant," Dutko said. "There's a lot that needs to be investigated, analyzed and evaluated here."

Police said Leyritz drove his sport utility vehicle through a red light Dec. 28 in Fort Lauderdale and crashed into Veitch's car.

Leyritz was ordered Thursday to take daily breath tests while he awaits trial on DUI manslaughter charges.
He played for six major league teams and was last in the majors in 2000, ending his 11-year career. In 1996, he homered for the New York Yankees (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nyy/;_ylt=Apg4ZqN.ecfpYiuXIVH4DRSpu7YF) in Game 4 of the World Series against Atlanta. The homer made it 6-6, and the Yankees won in 10 innings. New York took the series in six games for its first title in 18 years.

frikativ54
02-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the update on this case. I think that the number one issue here is that athletes should not be treated as if they are above the law. I am sick and tired of rich people who get away with crimes, just because they can afford the top lawyers. This applies especially to athletes. Here's hoping for justice in this case.

earlywynnfan
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Sounds to me like they were both guilty. She paid the ultimate price, and I'm sure he's going to pay for a long, long time.

Two grown adults making the same really really stupid decision.

Ken