PDA

View Full Version : Fredbird's Cardinals Garage Sale

admin
11-18-2005, 02:52 AM
Fredbird's Cardinals Garage Sale

November 16 2005 at 9:25 AM Andrew (info@allstarsplus.com) (Login allstarsplus (http://www.network54.com/Profile/allstarsplus))

For those of you that live in the St. Louis area, this looks to be a great opportunity!

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/fan_forum/garage_sale.jsp (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/fan_forum/garage_sale.jsp)

Whether you're a serious collector or just a real Cardinals fan, Fredbird has:
Player Lockers
Player Jerseys
Infield Dirt!
Turnstiles
Game-Used Bases & Balls
Signs and Pictures
Busch Stadium collectibles as low as $5
Loads of Memorabilia!

If you are planning on going, please let me know as I am looking for a few items.

Thanks. Andrew
202-716-8500
info@allstarsplus.com

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/images/fan_forum/y2005/garage_sale300x373.jpg

AuthorReply

Jason (ripken8@bellsouth.net)
(Login stlbats (http://www.network54.com/Profile/stlbats))
Garage Sale

November 17 2005, 9:36 PM
I am thinking about going. I am in need of a Musial game model bat that is unsigned.

4cuda9er
11-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Attempted to get a list of Jersey's, but they will not be listing them..So, if any member attends, and happens to see a Cardinals "game used" Fernando Tatis jersey. I would be willing to give a finders fee, if resonable...Thanks Gary

209 598-9329

Chgojhawk
11-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Did they mention a price per jersey?

4cuda9er
11-19-2005, 01:11 PM
The receptionist I spoke to couldn't supply any item or price information..She stated that she was informed that there would be thousands of items..Gary

ahuff
11-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone else made it to the Garage Sale?

I was in town visiting relatives, and was able to go on Saturday. When I showed up at 8:30 (1/2 hour before doors open) I found the line to be about 500-1000 people long, at least. I thought it was kinda long considering it was a two day event, but found out later that I was very lucky.

Once inside, the prices were what I guessed, based on the advertised prices for autographs. Deals were rare, if not impossible to find. I had a Red S. and Mark Mulder batting practice jersey in hand. Price was $500 each. The Mulder showed tons of wear (so I seriously considered it), but the Red S. looked brand new. These batting practice jerseys started at $300, but I never found a $300 one. Road and Home jerseys were the first ones gone, and I did not see too many star players. These jerseys started at $500, but anybody with a decent name seemed to be at least $750. There were two tables of nothing but clubhouse jerseys which I was told were never worn as the Cardinals did not like how easily they snagged. These were listed at $100. I just found myself wondering how many of these clubhouse jerseys we would see on the market in the coming days being passed off as star player's gamers? I never saw any game items of Pujols.

Since it was a free admission event, crowds were insane. I was never able to get close enough to the bases and game used baseballs. I did see they were organized by date, and had heard that bases were bringing up to $1,000. I can't support that figure though, as I just heard it through the grapevine.

Other items being sold were photos from $100 to $450+. Some didn't even appear to have ever hung one second in the stadium. I also saw an old couch, flags, signs, seat backs, etc. There was a padded chair that was listed for $1,000 and some wooden signs of Fredbird that I think were being sold for $1,250.

When my wife and I left, we had a hard time getting out of the America's Center, due to the crowds. The cashier's line appeared to be about an hours wait at least. Mind you, I was only there about an hour or less. The line of people waiting to still enter the event ran completely throughout the convention center, outside, and around the block. There were so many people that it is even hard to put into words. Steady streams of fans were making their way to the line, as we made it to our vehicle. To say Cardinal fans are supportive, would be grossly understated.

It looked like most people came with the intention to buy something. Most tried to find the item they loved the most, and I did witness a condensed version of comparative shopping. They would look for the best player in a grey jersey, best in a white jersey, and batting practice jerseys were not even given much serious consideration until daily player jerseys were gone from both the home and road tables.

People appeared to be thrilled to drop a grand, and several people looked to be willing to drop $5,000 on up. There were very few of us that left without anything. At that rate, the new stadium should be paid for by Opening Day!!!!

mlrtme17
11-27-2005, 09:35 PM
The bases went as follows:
First $400
Second $300
Third $300

And depending on what game the base was used the prices went up. I talked to a buddy who was working in the bases and balls part and he said they sold 250 bases and the Cardinals made $280,000 alone on the bases!

Balls were starting at $75 and went up. Most of them were going for around $100. Everything was very well documented and everything had matching MLB Holograms. The Cardinals did their homework on this event. They must of planned 2 years in advance. From a business prospective they hit the jackpot, but from a people prospective all the prices were jacked up. But with countless people willing to pay the price why not?

The Cardinal Clubhouse folding chairs at the players locker were selling for $1000 each. There was only a few left when I was there around 2:30PM. The Visiting Clubhouse chairs were selling for $500 each.

I could not believe the mass amounts of people attending this event. It was tough to work your way through and see everything.

STLWSB
11-28-2005, 08:53 AM
I also was very lucky to go to this event, I made it into line about 8:20 am on Saturday and there was about 150 people in front of me at that time. It opened at 9:00 am I made it in at 9:05 am and many things were already gone, as stated before bases from $300 on up, pictures up to $1000, Reggie Sanders locker signed at $2600.00, I also saw Dave Duncans for over a $1000.00. Game used balls from $75.00 as stated, seat backs $50.00 each. I many people spending at least $4000.00 dollars, I could not believe how expensive things were, I picked up a left handed batting helmet, the only one on the table at that time, for $100.00 which I think was a bargain, since hats were starting at $75.00. This helmet shows good use and has no numbers on the back but has had different numbers faded into it. I also picked up some dirt for $10.00 (people are selling these on ebay with bids for over $20.00 already) and some media guides from the Phillies and Devil Rays for $5.00 each. All items came with a COA sticker affixed to them, and cloth items came with a paper LOA. Club house chairs were $1000.00 each. This event was very poorly set up, They did not have a big enough room, and the room they were in they did not use all of it that they could, there was one Cash line and four Credit Card lines, I was in the Cash line from 9:45 to 10:50, they were selling dirt, concrete, dvds, wood from the dugout, and other items at the check out stand, so when someone would check out they would spend 5 minutes looking at all of these thing debating if they should buy them while hundreds were waiting to check out behind them. As I was in line and walking out I had at least 35 inquires about the helmet, I think I could have easily made 5x my money on it, everyone looked at it on the way out, I could not believe when I left there were thousands of people in the building, and many thousands on the street. I figure there is no way everyone could have made it into the building much less in the event it self, I was very proud I showed up early for this I saved my self hours of waiting in line. While inside I did not see any bats used or not, or fielding gloves. The game used table had many jerseys, hats, and some batting gloves, a couple of wrist bands, I when I left I saw two helmets on the table both cracked with about a fourth of the plastic missing, so I guess when they sold one, they put another on the table. They also displayed items sold on the online auction, and the prices that were realized. I am glad I went to this event but cannot believe how the set up was.

psmachetti
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
One would think that given the enormous profit a team like the Cardinals makes in a season from the fans that they would give them a break on the pricing of these items. Common player jerseys going for $500 is absolutely ludicrous. It's not like they need to make a huge profit on these. Give the fans a break . How about a thank you for all your support w/ some deals on Cards memorabilia?
paul